Any RNY Reversals Out There??

Heather S.
on 9/18/09 1:08 pm - Lake Villa, IL
Looking for anyone that had their RNY reversed.

If so please answer:
How long ago?
Do you regret the reversal?
Any complications?
Were you able to eat normal ever again?

Thanks! Heather
I had my Lap-RNY WLS Wed, July 15th, 2009 at Vista North in Waukegan, IL by Dr. Aaron Siegel. Starting BMI was 35. Total Weightloss: 102 Pounds
July 15th, 2009 (Surgery Day)
227 Pounds
Size 22/24 Pants & 26/28 Shirt 46DDD Bra
August 15th, 2010 (13 Months Post Op)
125 Pounds
Size 4 Pants (WTF??!!) & Small Shirt 36DDD (Not my true size!) Bra
mew6495
on 9/18/09 2:21 pm, edited 9/18/09 2:22 pm - MI

You may want to check out the "complications" forum.  I believe I saw a few folks who have had some reversals on there.

You are so early out, can I ask why you are seeking a reversal?  Things will not be the same in a year or even 6 months from now once your body heals and adjusts with time.

Good Luck in whatever you seek.

Heather S.
on 9/19/09 2:30 am, edited 9/19/09 2:45 am - Lake Villa, IL
I haven't eatten in weeks. Literally. I am losing weight too quickly and I am just randomly fainting at any given moment without warning. I just fainted at work the other day and shattered my shoulder after slamming into a cubical post then landing on a cement floor. I tore all the ligaments in my shoulder blade. They shipped me to the ER and my surgeon ordered an Upper GI and it shows that I have a stricture so now Monday I am having an Endoscopy done to balloon it open. I have been told that strictures can come back and I'm just looking into options if these complications continue down the road.

ETA: These fainting spells have been happening for weeks and I've also had a full seizure that lasted over a minute. They can't figure out what is causing them other then I am just not getting enough energy. I am afraid to drive for fear I'll kill someone if I faint behind the wheel.

Heather
I had my Lap-RNY WLS Wed, July 15th, 2009 at Vista North in Waukegan, IL by Dr. Aaron Siegel. Starting BMI was 35. Total Weightloss: 102 Pounds
227 Pounds
125 Pounds
mew6495
on 9/19/09 4:56 am - MI
On September 19, 2009 at 9:30 AM Pacific Time, Heather S. wrote:
I haven't eatten in weeks. Literally. I am losing weight too quickly and I am just randomly fainting at any given moment without warning. I just fainted at work the other day and shattered my shoulder after slamming into a cubical post then landing on a cement floor. I tore all the ligaments in my shoulder blade. They shipped me to the ER and my surgeon ordered an Upper GI and it shows that I have a stricture so now Monday I am having an Endoscopy done to balloon it open. I have been told that strictures can come back and I'm just looking into options if these complications continue down the road.

ETA: These fainting spells have been happening for weeks and I've also had a full seizure that lasted over a minute. They can't figure out what is causing them other then I am just not getting enough energy. I am afraid to drive for fear I'll kill someone if I faint behind the wheel.

Heather
 Heather I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.  I will send a prayer your way that the opening of the structure cures your aliments.  I have read of others on these boards who have had strictures and once they got them resolved it put them back on track.

You can also check out the "regrets" forum.  I have seen some reversals on there.  

About 4 years ago I had some episodes of getting light headed and passing out.  It is definitely a scary thing.  They think mine was caused by low blood sugar.  Perhaps you can touch base with your doctor and see if this might be part of your problem.  This wls can cause this in some cases.  More then likely though just from you not getting adequate nourishment.  

Good luck to you.  Please keep us posted on your outcome.

Heather S.
on 9/19/09 5:12 am - Lake Villa, IL
The EMT's tested my bloodsugar on site because my co-workers told them I am diabetic and my sugar was at 155 which is about normal at any given time without meds since the surgery.
227 Pounds
125 Pounds
reenieb
on 9/23/09 6:45 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi Heather, I'm so sorry for your complications. This is very scary stuff and I certainly hope your weight loss surgeon is taking responsibility and helping you through these difficult times. The fainting spells you describe are not uncommon for people post-surgery, although they typically do not start happening until about 2 years out. The cause seems to be directly related to severe hypo-glycemia - dangerously low blood sugar levels. I would contact your PCP (Primary Care Physician) immediately to get your blood workup done. They can run a test that will gauge your sugar levels for the past 6 months. Do you feel extremely light-headed, nauseous, sweaty - any of these symptoms just prior to fainting? These are the red flags for severe hypo-glycemia, although they certainly could point to something else. I am no doctor! I'm just sharing information based on research findings. I'm assuming the stricture is what is preventing you from eating? Again, your WL surgeon needs to be on top of this immediately. The bright side of this is - don't despair! The stricture can be taken care of pretty easily and if all goes well, you will begin to be able to ingest the important calories and nutrients your body needs to heal and get well! This is a temporary setback, please don't think about a reversal just yet. And above all, if you have not done so already, be absolutely assured of your surgeon's reputation in the WL industry. If there are any issues at all (negative patient feedback, history of failed surgeries, history of complications associated with the surgeries he/she has performed, etc.) - RUN, do not walk, AWAY from that surgeon! And find another who can help you through this. Best of luck and please keep us posted. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Heather S.
on 9/23/09 7:47 am - Lake Villa, IL
Hello,
My fainting & seizures is not from low blood sugars. Every time it happens my blood sugar is checked immediately. They are usually 150-170. I have been diabetic for years so obviously that will be something that is monitored closely.
227 Pounds
125 Pounds
poet_kelly
on 9/19/09 4:52 am - OH
Why haven't you eaten in weeks?  Because of the stricture?  If so, why are they just now addressing it?  No wonder you're miserable.  Is your doctor dropping the ball?

Kelly
Heather S.
on 9/19/09 5:08 am - Lake Villa, IL
I havent been able to keep much of ANYTHING down, other than ice chips for weeks now. Oatmeal, babyfood, cream of wheat, plain water, you name it. I eat it...sometimes I'm lucky and it comes right back up other times it just sits there for almost a hour while I sit there in pain and eventually comes back up. Either way, nothing is passing.

I have been complaining to my surgeon for weeks now and I keep getting the same answer: "It's normal, you'll grow out of it" and as for the fainting, they are scratching their heads.

It's very frustrating.

~Heather
227 Pounds
125 Pounds
reenieb
on 9/23/09 6:51 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
OK, just read this after my lengthy post - you need to find another surgeon IMMEDIATELY! Did you do your due diligence (homework) before you selected this surgeon? THIS IS NOT NORMAL. What you are experiencing are dangerous signs of--at the very least, mechanical failure of the operation--and more seriously, health consequences that can potentially put you in grave condition. Also, Heather, YOU ARE EATING THE WRONG THINGS so soon after surgery. Everything you reference in terms of what you are eating is high in carbohydrates! As soon as carb**** your system, your body recognizing them as one thing: SUGAR! No wonder you can't keep it down, your body is dumping it - the dumping syndrome. I can't believe your surgeon is practicing if this is the kind of post-care and advice you are getting. FIRST, find another doctor, even if you have to check yourself into the E.R. Second: FIND A GOOD LAWYER!!! Best, Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Most Active