Question -- what happens with a revision

Elizabeth Myers
on 9/19/09 5:39 am - Barnhart, MO
I am researching information on revisions. 

What questions do I need to ask my doctor.  I am 5 years post op from Open RNY and very concerned that my weight is creeping back on me.  I have struggled too much with this for this to happen.

What would a revison do to help me?

What questions do I need to ask?

Any help would be greatly appreciately

Betty Myers
Imperial, MO 
OPEN RNY 5/25/04
-162 Pounds
bherling52
on 9/19/09 8:15 am - North Ridgeville , OH

Hi Ms Myers,  I had my original RNY in 1998.  I was 270 went down to 170 and felt great.  Had multiple traumatizing events in my life and starting eating sugar again and you guest it.....the weight just started creeping back on.   I work for the Cleveland Clinic so I was hoping they would help me ......the Dr.  ( a different surgeon from the one I had who left town right after my surgery to start a Clini of bariatric surguries in south carolina)   asked me what I ate yesterday.  I told him a 6" subway turkey sub and he hit the roof.  Said he didnt want to see me again and go home and eat the way I was told to.  Well that was a big help.  I now weigh 240.   But I heard about this Stomaphyx Titanium.   They go thru your mouth and do a revision of sorts.....they make folds inside your pouch which makes you stomach small again.   No scar.  They were doing the stomaphx using regular staples and they didnt hold. It cost 5K and they didnt guarentee it would hold.   So now the FDA has to approve this titanium staples and then would be the time to have the stomaphyx done.   Does that help you?  Hang in there.  In the meantime...no sugar. do a atkins like high protein diet.  Thats what Im doing and at least I stopped gaining.   Sincerely Barb Herling

JustLookingToo
on 9/19/09 4:25 pm - AL
From what I have been reading, lap band over bypass, DS, and ERNY (distal RNY where they bypass more intestine for more malabsorption) are the most effective and most popular revision surgeries for RNY'ers (and not particularly in that order). There are just so many variables that will cause you to decide on one revision type over the other. For instance, my insurance does not cover DS, and I don't think my surgeon does ERNY, so that leaves me with a RNY revision (I currently have a mini gastric bypass). 

As far as what a revision will do to help you, it depends on why you need a revision. If you have a mechanical failure of some kind, it may not take much to get you back on track. 

Hope you find the answer that is right for you!
Most Active