Decided to revise.

Glenn M.
on 9/17/09 5:20 am - Addison, TX
Good afternoon everyone,

After a lot of pondering I've decided to get a revision.  My question to you out there is are there any major obsticles that I will face concerning insurance?  I currently have United Healthcare and it is a covered benefit but I will like to know in advance if there are any reasons that they may use to decline me. 

I had the RNY 5 years ago and I never reached my goal weigh before I had a financial storm which threw me out of my routine and diet (it can be expensive to maintain).  Although I can say I'm truly blessed that things are much better now, I can't seem to find anything that I can do that can swing my weight gain in the right direction.  I was extremely happy to have lost as much weight as I have but it is a motivation killer to think of the weight I've regained.  Life on this side wasn't the happiest before the surgery so you can only imagine how it feels to approach that same place in life again. 

Many of my old symptoms are returning but the most hindering of all is that I find it very difficult to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time and I'm always sleepy throughout the day.  I teach middle school math so you can see how this can be a problem especially since I love what I do.  My students deserve the best of me and it is difficult to give it when I'm tired.  I now weigh 285lbs but I got as low as 220lbs. 

I also want to know what is the best type of revision for someone who had the Gastric Bypass?

Sorry about the long sob story but I can't see myself going back to where I was.  Thanks for your advise.

Blessings to you all.
JROLFSON
on 9/17/09 6:50 am - St. George, UT
Hi Glenn:

Welcome, you've come to the right place...After having RNY and regaining you do have several options some better than others...but I'll list them...

1.) RNY to DS
2.) RNY to ERNY
3.) Lapband over the Pouch
4.) Rose
5.) Stomaphyx

The RNY to DS is the cadillac of the five but can come with high risk...I only know of (5) surgeons who after much research I would even trust to do this procedure on me...It is technical and has a high risk for leaks...

The RNY to ERNY involves shortning your common conduit for more malabsorption which helps to start the weight loss process again... It is less risky but also comes with issues because of the malabsorption and many people say it has the worst of the RNY and the Worst of the DS I don't happen to agree since that is what I have chose and to date have lost 38 lbs since May 20th...The weight loss is slower but seems to be steady...

Lapband over the Pouch...has a lot of pros and cons....constant fills...finding the sweet spot...Not the person to tell you about this as I never researched it as an option for me...

The ROSE is an entirely endoscopic procedure non-invasive that uses fasteners to tighten the stoma and pouch...Not huge rave reviews but I hear the procedure is getting better.

The Stomaphyx same as the Rose fasteners are different the machine they use is different but aims for the same results of tightening the pouch and stoma...Not huge rave reviews but again, I hear their are better tools down the pike.

This should give you something to mull over...There will be others who chime in and hopefully so as if this is the beginning of your research you will need to investigate every option which also means to begin at your surgeons office...Also if you need to lose over 50-60 lbs the first two options would probably be best for your situation...

Hope this gets you started.

Janie
jeanyjane
on 9/17/09 6:55 am - Germany
The most effective revision is the one to a full DS. But it`s also the most complicated.
The easier revisions are the ERNY (extended RNY - making the common channel a lot shorter to increase malabsorbation) or the band over bypass (to give you some restriction back).

Because you`ve a lot to loose and regained a significant amount of weight, I`d seriously look into the DS - the weight loss after RNY and regain later has been like an extreme yo-yo-diet with the result that your metabolism is now even more effective and loosing weight is even more difficult.
You can find a lot more info on the DS board.

Good luck!
Glenn M.
on 9/18/09 5:12 am - Addison, TX
Thank you for the information.  It seems as though both the ERNY and the full DS have a long recovery time.  Has anyone ever gotten the band over the ERNY? And Who are the 5 trusted doctors that can do the full DS revision?  It seems like that is a procedure that I shouldn't trust too many doctors to perform.
jeanyjane
on 9/18/09 6:41 am - Germany
Some one on the DS board as a list of experienced RNY to DS surgeons. The names that are most often mentioned and that I can remember right now are Rabkin, Kesheshian (sp?? - both California), Husted, Gagner, Greenbaum, Marchesini (Brasil), Balthasar (Spain). 
Debbie M.
on 9/20/09 1:40 am
I had an RNY in 2002, lost my weight, gained my weight.  I've been trying since January 2009 to get Pacificare, which is owned by UHC to approve a revision with Dr. Keshishian.  I've been through 2 appeal processes and my case now lies with the Dept. of Managed Healthcare in California to see if they will overturn my insurance companies decision.

Pacificare approves revisions so long as it was due to mechanical failure not noncompliant eating.

Best of luck, hope it goes smoother for you.
sarahjameve
on 9/21/09 10:51 pm - Columbus, OH
Hello,

I have UHC and had a very small heital hernia by my esophagus didnt bother me at all but was the basis for my coverage of my revision I had last Monday. I had option 3 band over bypass or the BOB.

I am doing well I am down 12 lbs since surgery and 24 since I began the liquid diet on August 24th. I still have some pain and soreness but I think that is partially due to my size. I have been doing at least a 20 minute walk each day since Wednesday some days 40 minutes.

I was on a calorie restricted "liquid" diet prior to surgery for three weeks, it consisted of 5 packets of HMR, I used Chicken and Chocolate flavored www.hmrprogram.com one small green salad with protein (2 oz Tuna), and a frozen meal under 300 calories. I have not had caffeine or alcohol since 8/1/09 either.
I am on a pureed and soft foods diet now or Step II as my Dr calls it. I have had FF or low fat cottage cheese and ricotta, I love seasoned salts or hot sauce in them including www.baconsalt.com. I have also had greek yogurt(thicker and more protein then regular yogurt, like sour cream), refried beans, pureed pot roast (love moms!) and my favorite is a muglette http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=1784. I went to a lot of websites and ordered their sample proteins so I couldl decide what I like. I love Isopure Carb Control from GNC (15 grams of protein in an 8 ounce bottle) I take it on walks since it is like a fruit punch. I also like Muscle Milk light, they sell it everywhere but is about 6.99 for 4 at Sams Club or Costco it is about $25 for 18. It is sugar free, 100 calories, lactose free and 15 proteins in a 8 ounce juicebox like container, very convenient and tasty.

Good luck with your process, I am very happy with mine and am expecting a weight stall soon but would be thrilled if it kept at this rate.

Sarah
Sarah Jam Eve RNY March 6th 2003 BOB September 14th 2009 

Most Active