Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Teena A.
on 9/15/09 10:13 am, edited 9/17/09 11:58 pm - Mesquite, TX
Thank you Jamie,

Just got home.

I will start out first by saying that I liked him a lot.

He was friendly, nice, and thorough.

I went in there completely open minded with the following surgeries in mind ERNY or DS.

He explained the pro's and con's of both to me.

He has explained that due to my issue with the length of my short limb that he does not recommend DS due to the possible complications I could have because of it and he doubts any other doctor would recommend DS to me and he stated if they do I need to run.

He stated that if I did not have that issue that the DS would is a good surgery, but people need to understand that it is permanent and if issues do happen the ramifications of making the decision to have DS could affect your life.

He also basically stated what I already know regarding ERNY being the same as DS , but I will have a pouch, dumping, and all the issues with RNY (not a problem for me as I have had these issues since 2002).

All and all things went well.

I spoke with his nutritionist Rochelle and she stated the importance of vitamins and nutrition.

I explained to her that I already had a one hour session with the nutritionist three weeks ago and I showed her all of my notes and handouts and my daily vitamin schedule that I am already on and she stated that she could see I have done my homework and I know what to do.

Basically what has to happen now is the insurance person has to contact my insurance company to advise that Dr. David Provost will be doing my ERNY (common channel 90-100) and oh yeah it will be done open and not laproscopic.

I am ok with that as well.

I do not want what happened last time to happen this time around and he stated that due to the fact that I have now been operated on  three times laproscopically (original WLS, first repair of gastro gastric fistula, 1st attempt at repair and revision on September 2, 2009) that he wants me open. I had a feeling that would happen and I am ok with it.

I will be calling and faxing my nurse case manager tonight to let her know of the change so she can get a jump on things.

I will let you all know when things have been approved with Dr. David Provost and I have a surgery date.

I am praying it is not that difficult or time consuming.

Yes, I would have preferred the DS, but if what my original surgeon did to me in 2002 does not allow for it and two doctors has said it then I have to believe it deal with it and move on.

I am happy with the way things have worked out.

As long as I am happy then that is all that matters.

I hope you all have an absolutely fabulous Tuesday night.

Be kind to yourselves and one another.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

JROLFSON
on 9/16/09 6:17 am - St. George, UT
Hi Teena:

I'm so glad you have found peace...I hope all works out well for you...I know you've done your homework and as I told you I had a very similar situation with my RNY which my Surgeon found upon revising me to ERNY...

I am elated that Dr. Provost is doing your surgery open...I can't tell you or express to you how important that is...It says a lot about him...believe me...

I do want you to know though that most Dr.'s are not comfortable transitioning RNY'ers to DS'ers...just a word to the wise...they just don't find comfort in it...I have only found a handfull and truly I mean a handfull that are absolutely solid about transferring an RNY to a DS...so I'm not surprised Dr. Provost is aiming you towards ERNY...it is a huge revision to go to DS and a one which comes with the most in surgery issues and possibility of leaks and such...I had wanted it for myself and am glad I got what I did...I am still a huge believer I don't care what anyone tells me that the reason for the larger and faster weight loss with an RNY to DS has more to do with the, take down of the old surgery and removal of partial stomach...just a lot of trauma and healing to do which leaves you with nausea, vomitting and of course faster weight loss...ERNY only deals with the common conduit therefore no trauma or healing much....

Good Luck sweet girl...Will be sending sweet wishes your way...

Janie
Teena A.
on 9/16/09 12:24 pm - Mesquite, TX
Janie,

The whole issue for me is that I have had two doctors tell me I cannot safely be revised to DS because of my issue with my short limb and my other
co-morbidities and past medical history.

Reasoning being if anything happened with ERNY they could take me back down to normal with no issues, but with my anatomy and
co-morbidities and other medical issues I would be in major trouble and could possible have to be tube fed for life.

Not sure about you, but that is not living and so I chose ERNY.

People can say they tried to scare me and etc, but truth is I do have the anatomy that I do, co-morbidities, and medical history and no two people have the same.

What was possible for you may not be for me.

I still have the option to go and see Dr. Daryl Stewart who does DS, but my logic is knowing what I know why would I want to jeopardize my life like that.

My body has had more than enough trauma and I just don't want or need anymore.

I do not care about being cut open either as I am not in any of this for vanity.

I am just as attractive thin as I am chunky.

I have scars all over my body from being a tom boy as a kid, a car accident, a house fire, complete reconstructive surgeries (breast lift, tummy tuck, arm lift, butt lift, thigh lift etc.

Nude or swimsuit modeling except for my man is not in the near future for me.

I just want to get this gastro gastric fistula repaired, get healthier, get back to hiking, horseback riding, and being a personal trainer again.

Hard to train people and have credibility when you have 80 lbs to lose

I am just happy to get this show on the road again and no longer have to find another doctor.

I cannot say it enough that I am so happy with my thought process in making my decision as I truly explored all options.

I know that I will be successful no matter which revision option I choose.

You and others success lets me know that it can be done.

Your constant support and motivation confirms what I already know about ERNY and that is that I have made the best decision for me.

Thank you so much for your support and sweet wishes.

I wish you much continued success in your weight loss.

You rock!

I hope you have an absolutely fabulous evening.
Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

JROLFSON
on 9/16/09 1:29 pm - St. George, UT
Dear Teena:

You have got it together GIRL! You know what you want...you've done your homework...you will win!

I agree, why take the risk by jeopardizing your life...life is just to precious...You are to precious!

I love to see someone like yourself who has been through so much but is able to make a decision and go for it! We're all behind you here...Can't wait for you to join us on the get well bench and the loser's bench...I say the get well bench because after my surgery I felt better, healthier immediately...within a week I felt better than I had in 15 years...It was miraculous for me...

Even though I also had open surgery, which I feel is the only way to go...And I like you have had many open surgeries...I look like a road map under my shirt.... 3 weight loss, 1 ovary removal, 1 exploratory....My Dr. told me I look like a map of the United States and you know what I say who cares...Only my husband would know...Oh and everyone here *****ads this...:)

My Point is....Can't wait to hear about your success....

I'm sure MEW will second it when I say we would love to be your Angels!!!

What about it MEW?

Janie

mew6495
on 9/17/09 9:33 am - MI
On September 16, 2009 at 8:29 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Dear Teena:

You have got it together GIRL! You know what you want...you've done your homework...you will win!

I agree, why take the risk by jeopardizing your life...life is just to precious...You are to precious!

I love to see someone like yourself who has been through so much but is able to make a decision and go for it! We're all behind you here...Can't wait for you to join us on the get well bench and the loser's bench...I say the get well bench because after my surgery I felt better, healthier immediately...within a week I felt better than I had in 15 years...It was miraculous for me...

Even though I also had open surgery, which I feel is the only way to go...And I like you have had many open surgeries...I look like a road map under my shirt.... 3 weight loss, 1 ovary removal, 1 exploratory....My Dr. told me I look like a map of the United States and you know what I say who cares...Only my husband would know...Oh and everyone here *****ads this...:)

My Point is....Can't wait to hear about your success....

I'm sure MEW will second it when I say we would love to be your Angels!!!

What about it MEW?

Janie

Hey Janie!  Haven't seen you here in a while.  Hope all is well.   

Would NEVER refuse the prestigious ANGEL role for those who I admire....have to wonder who would end up being who's angel though....with Teena's terrific frame of mind and all!  

JROLFSON
on 9/18/09 12:20 am - St. George, UT
Hey Mew....How's my best buddy?

You are so right....It's great to begin friendships on this network/forum....I have been so fortunate as all the folks here have always been so helpful towards me...Especially you my dear friend.

Teena...We will be watching over you...Good luck on your journey...

Janie
Teena A.
on 9/18/09 2:05 am - Mesquite, TX
Janie,

I appreciate you and Mew watching over me.

I am in great hands with you two on my team.

I am also glad I met you on here as well.

Teena Adler

Teena A.
on 9/18/09 2:03 am - Mesquite, TX
Mew ,

You are so sweet.
Thx.

I am so glad I met you on here.
Teena Adler

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/09 3:59 am - San Jose, CA
One last comment on this, because I have my own opinions and no compunction about sharing them:

You have had two RNY surgeons tell you that you cannot safely be revised to a DS.  It may very well be true.  But IMNSHO, if I had not had a consult with an actual EXPERIENCED DS revision surgeon who says the same thing, I would not be satisfied with the completeness of the input I have received before making my decision.

I would make an appointment with Dr. Stewart to close that loop.

In any case, best of luck to you.
Most Active