Question about Revision from Lap Band

Janine P.
on 9/15/09 6:38 am - Long Island, NY

I have a lap band and I'm going to do a revision to either a RNY or DS.  I just saw my surgeon today and she told me that I'd need two surgeries - 1 to remove the lap band and 1 to do the RNY (she doesn't do DS, so I'd have to go somewhere else for that). 

Have any of you had a revision from a lap band and into something else in 1 surgery?  I really don't want to go through two surgeries for this.  I will if I have to but I want to avoid it.

Thanks!!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

jeanyjane
on 9/15/09 6:45 am - Germany
There are plenty of people on the DS board who got the band to DS revision in one surgery. It seems to depend on the personality of the surgeon (some are more concerned and careful then others) and their level of skill and how comfortable they feel doing the surgery. In Germany, there are many docs who will not do a revision from band to ?? in one surgery, claiming it would be too risky. But the skilled revision docs from the US and Mexico/Brasil who do revisions to the DS regularly have no problems with doing it in one step at all, they are even doing RNY to DS revisions in one step!! (a RNY to DS revision is much more complictaed then a band to DS revision).

If you want more info about the DS, go over to the DS board. At your BMI, it`s definately the right thing to look not just into the RNY, given its high failure rate for patients with a BMI over 50.

Good luck!
Brenda R.
on 9/15/09 8:01 am - Humble, TX
I had a revision from the band to RNY in one surgery (1 hr and 45 mins), I have had not problems.  Just slightly more soreness than when I got the band.

Working on me - want to be better in everyway not just physically!!!  Its a process no time to judge or be judged!!!! 
emjayel56
on 9/15/09 8:34 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Janina,
I was revised from lapband to RNY all at the same time and laparascopically.  I think it depends on the amount of your scar tissue as well as the experience of the surgeon.  It's important to be with a surgeon experienced in revisions.  If you have any questions please just ask and all the best of luck to you.
Maryjo
GayleTx
on 9/16/09 8:33 am - northeast, TX
I just last week had revision from lapband to open RNY (plus hernia repair and gall bladder).....all at the same time and in less than an hour......large incision down middel, small incision on the side where he removed band.  I would not have agreed to going through an extra surgery just because that particular surgeon couldn't do one of the procedures......I would have found somebody skilled and experienced  in revisions and in the type of surgery that I wanted. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/09 8:26 pm - AZ
On September 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, Janina P. wrote:

I have a lap band and I'm going to do a revision to either a RNY or DS.  I just saw my surgeon today and she told me that I'd need two surgeries - 1 to remove the lap band and 1 to do the RNY (she doesn't do DS, so I'd have to go somewhere else for that). 

Have any of you had a revision from a lap band and into something else in 1 surgery?  I really don't want to go through two surgeries for this.  I will if I have to but I want to avoid it.

Thanks!!!

To be honest I would find a new surgeon.  To put you through two surgeries instead of one because of her lack of skill is not in your best interest.  Unless you have a slip and a great deal of swelling there is no reason for two surgeries.  I had mine done in one surgery but my doctor is a revision surgeon.  Took about 1.5 hours.

Angie T.
on 9/16/09 9:49 pm - Somewhere, NY
Hi Janina,
   I too am waiting to have a revision from Lap band to RNY. My doc, who I adore and wouldn't see anyone else, even if they paid me!  said he it is safer in two surgeries. I was disappointed as I get so sick from the anesthesia and pain meds, but he said there is scar tissue from the band and if done in one surgery, you have an increased risk of complications. Good luck to you and keep me updated as to when your surgery is, I'm hoping to go sometime in Oct.

Kindness Matters  

Angie

heatherlowrymom
on 9/19/09 2:34 am
Hi Janina--I remember you from the lapband boards...I, too, am looking for a revision, though to RNY...My surgeon also says it is safer in 2 surgeries, especially because there will probably be swelling and they want to make the pouch the right size without the swelling...
Heather
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/09 8:13 am - NJ
Hey!  I had a revision from a lap band to an RNY and it was done in two surgeries.  I wasn't happy about it, but the reason was to let my stomach heal from the removal of the band first.  I had it yanked because of reflux that was unbearable.

Having the band out was no biggie - less painful than having it installed - the RNY was a bit more painful than both, but SO worth it!!

Most Active