Distall Gastric Bypass?? Has Anyone Had it??

Stephanie36
on 9/14/09 1:43 am
I had RNY 8 years ago and did fairly well. Until my daughter was dx with Leukemia.  At that point I allowed all of my bad habbits to return.  I lost 162# from the RNY but have now found 62 of those pounds!! UHG!  This is a life long journey that some of us are destined to deal with.  It is ok, and I have accepted that... we all have a cross to bear right?

My surgeon has suggested the Distal Gastric Bypass as an option for revision.  I have been trying to research it and find more on the duodenal and the Bili Bypass than on the Distal.  Has anyone else had this proceedure??  Does anyone out there have information that could prove helpful??? 

Thanks for listening!!

Stephanie
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/09 5:33 am - AZ
On September 14, 2009 at 8:43 AM Pacific Time, Stephanie36 wrote:
I had RNY 8 years ago and did fairly well. Until my daughter was dx with Leukemia.  At that point I allowed all of my bad habbits to return.  I lost 162# from the RNY but have now found 62 of those pounds!! UHG!  This is a life long journey that some of us are destined to deal with.  It is ok, and I have accepted that... we all have a cross to bear right?

My surgeon has suggested the Distal Gastric Bypass as an option for revision.  I have been trying to research it and find more on the duodenal and the Bili Bypass than on the Distal.  Has anyone else had this proceedure??  Does anyone out there have information that could prove helpful??? 

Thanks for listening!!

Stephanie

What is your current BMI?

Teena A.
on 9/14/09 11:54 pm, edited 9/15/09 1:46 am - Mesquite, TX
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3990691/Dr-Nick-N icholson-Proximal-to-Distal-Revision/#32295789

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3998012/Anyone-lo sing-with-Distal-RNY-Revision/#32348948

Distal RNY - This entails disconnecting the Roux limb and reconnecting it closer to the ileocecal valve, usually 50 to 150cm proximal to the ileocecal valve. Fobi, et al., reported an average 20Kg weight loss and mean BMI decrease of 7Kg/m2 in 65 patients converted to distal RYGB.[9] However, 23 percent of patients developed protein malnutrition and almost half of these patients required revision surgery for this. Similarly, Sugerman, et al., reported 69-percent EWL at three years in 27 patients undergoing conversion to distal RYGB.10 Five of 27 had a common channel of 50cm and the remainder had a common channel of 150cm. The shorter common channel led to an “unacceptable" morbidity and mortality (all required revision, and two died of hepatic failure). The longer common channel was still associated with a 25-percent incidence of protein malnutrition and a significant number required operative revision. A recent report by Muller, et al., comparing a matched cohort (based on age, gender, and BMI) of standard RYGB (150cm Roux limb) and distal RYGB (150cm common channel) found no significant difference in weight loss or comorbidity reduction at 4 years.[11]

Some call it ERNY.

Try to search it that way on this site and you will find more information and discussions.

You can even click on Lastest Posts under my name to the left and I have some conversations on this topic.

Distal or ERNY is the good and the bad of the DS I think, but I feel not as long term as DS in reagrds to weight loss.

I was going to have ERNY revision until it was discovered that my Roux limb is too short got me researching BPD/DS.

Please do thorough research.

I wish you well.

There are a lot of peeps on here who have had ERNY.

The difference in ERNY and Distal is all in the common channel.

Good luck.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Most Active