Update on Teena Adler

Teena A.
on 9/9/09 9:34 am, edited 9/9/09 11:42 pm - Mesquite, TX

I am now back home from my 3:30 pm follow up appointment with my surgeon.

I went down my list that I made along with suggestions from you all, but some things we did not go over because I had already decided to go with another surgeon yesterday.

He stated that he told my mother that he would talk to me in a day or two to discuss what happened. My mom said that he specifically said he would be back to see me that day. Either way I had to wait a week to find out what happened. There was no apology made about this. What is done is done and it can’t be changed so I am over it.

The reason he stopped the surgery is because the damn doctor that did my original WLS screwed me up in a major way. I am hella angry about this, but it is what it is and there is nothing I can do to change it.

My short limb is only 8 cm and not as long as it should be. He said because it is so short he had no room to move it down to where it needed to be in order to do the distal bypass revision. He stated that he tried to work out a way to get what we discussed accomplished, but because of the situation he decided that it would be best to stop and discuss what my options are.

He stated that I can have the distal or DS, but because of the length of my short limb I would have major issues later on if I needed to revise the procedure due to malnutrition or too much weight loss. He said basically once it is done it can’t be undone so that is why he did not do it without me knowing this fact as that is very important and life changing.

We discussed that while I am open to the band over bypass that I did not think it would benefit me as I have restriction, but need malabsorption so the band over bypass would do nothing for me and he agreed.

He also mentioned some form of a modified BPD-DS as an option for me.

I do not have any scar tissue, adhesions, or any areas that he could see where hernias could develop.

He stated that my insides were perfect.

He confirmed that I was bypassed proximal with my original surgery.

He stated that he did no work on me on the inside.

Basically he stated that the procedure will be coded as diagnostic surgery.

I decided that based on cir****tances regarding my short limb that I will not use him. He is a great doctor, but due to my issues I would like to have a doctor who has more experience with complex cases.

I mentioned to him that I am scheduled for a second opinion with Dr. David Provost on September 15, 2009 at 3:45 pm and he stated that he was going to suggest that if I decided to do distal or wanted DS that I should see him. He stated that Dr. David Provost is the one who trained him and that they are friends. He also called him and advised that I would be coming next week and they discussed my case.

I have already signed release forms for my medical records so Dr. Provost can have everything he needs the day of my consult.

All in all I am fine with all of this and I now have answers to my questions.

Now I am patiently waiting for my consult with Dr. David Provost next Tuesday.

I just want to thank all of you who have been supportive of me through this revision journey.

I had no idea it would be this rough, but considering how quickly the revision was approved and everything was going like clockwork something had to be thrown in the way to give me a challenge.

Now I am off to research BPD and DS.

I hope you all have an absolutely fabulous evening.

Be kind to one another.  

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

mew6495
on 9/9/09 10:53 am - MI
 Way to go Teena!  I admire your strength, bounce back and the ability to take a difficult situation and move forward at such a quick rate of speed!  YOU ROCK!

I wish you much luck.  Keep us posted.

MEW

Teena A.
on 9/9/09 12:07 pm - Mesquite, TX
Mew,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I have to be diligent about this as I pay out of pocket for insurance through Cobra and this all ends May 2010 and I will be getting different insurance.

I do not want to take the chance of not getting all of this done before then.

Thank you very much for your continued support.

Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Zee Starrlite
on 9/10/09 1:22 am
Wow Teena.  I'm just reading now.  Sorry that your revision to distal didn't go as planned.  I think though that your surgeon made a wise choice to basically keep his hands off of you until you were familiar with the discovered situation and options.

It will all work out.  You are determined, working, and researching.

I know you were set against the DS, but it truly is a wonderful surgery and a great option to have.  We all adjust to the lifestyle appropriate for our WLS.

God Bless You,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Teena A.
on 9/10/09 1:35 am, edited 9/10/09 1:35 am - Mesquite, TX
Leila,

Thank you very much for your support.

I agree with about the surgeon post phoning doing anything until he let me know what was going on.

I am grateful to him for that.

I am positive as well that it will all work out.

I just have to be patient and that is not one of my best character traits, but I am working on that daily.

LMAO.

All the research and praying I have been doing something is going to happen.

I am not so much set against DS now a days as I have been doing some research and I have an open mind now.

We really do adjust to the lifestyle appropriate for our WLS.

That is definitely true.

I wish you well on your journey and again thank you very much for the support.

I hope you have an absolutely fabulous Thursday.

Teena Adler

JROLFSON
on 9/10/09 8:43 am - St. George, UT
Wow Teena...

At least you know why....I too had a similar situation in my surgery as my Dr. told me that my RNY Surgeon had given me the shortest bypass he'd ever seen which disallowed him to go shorter on my common conduit...He originally planned 70-80 but it ended up about 100...and from what I hear that's better anyway...It just seems like those with a shorter cc lose faster, but I've also seen where they develop some problems occassionally...ERNY is relatively new so what the long term results are remains to be seen...

Well good luck on your new exciting search...DS sounds like a way to go...I researched it myself but finances, scar tissues, prior surgeries just didn't make it a good option for me...If your insides are in great shape then you would most likely be a good candidate...What about your fistula? Did he say anything about fixing that?

Janie
Teena A.
on 9/10/09 9:31 am - Mesquite, TX
Janie,

I am glad to hear that my surgery can be done by hearing your story.

I know you said your's was short as well, but do you know how short you are though?

Thank you for the continued support..

I am open to ERNY or DS at this point.

I just want to lose this excess weight.

He did not touch my fistula because my entire approval revolves around the fact that I have a mechanical failure and if he would have touched I would not be able to get my revison.

I am soooo glad that he did not repair it.

All in all I was hella upset last week, but now knowing what I know my next step in seeing Dr. Provost is my best bet.

I only wish I had choosen him for my original surgery or I would not be in this situation, but I can't do anything about the past.

I did not pick him because the waiting list was too long.

Now I just need to sit my ass down somewhere and be real real still and wait for appointment.

LMAO.

Have an absolutely fabulous night.

Teena Adler

smileyjamie72
on 9/11/09 12:04 am - Palmer, AK
Teena,

I am glad that you were able to get in and see your surgeon & discuss your options.... and that the surgery that you went though will be coded as diagnostic..... so that won't blow your chances at pursuing you revision.  That was just ONE HELL OF A SPEED BUMP, though

You have got THE MOST POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!!!

Keep us posted & TAKE CARE!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Teena A.
on 9/11/09 2:51 am - Mesquite, TX
Jamie,

I am happy that everything is going smooth again.

I have had quite a few speed bumps in my way along this revision journey, but hopefully they are behind me and none are ahead.

I am just being optimistic and positive about what lies ahead regarding this appointment on September 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm with Dr. David Provost.

It can only get better from here because from where I am standing it can't get any worse.

I have to stay positive or else negativity would just eat me alive.

I wish you well with your revision journey.

Have you heard anything from insurance company yet?

Teena Adler

smileyjamie72
on 9/11/09 6:12 am - Palmer, AK
Thanks!!!!

No, I have not heard anything from the insurance company yet.....

I did want to give you this link, to click... take the 10-15 minutes to read the blog (it is the 2nd post down) it is a "comparison" on the RNY and the DS. 
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/hayley_hayley/

I honestly think that it gives very good insight to both of the surgeries, pro's & con's.  Worth the read.

Take Care
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active