Band to bypass

NatashaD
on 9/9/09 1:45 pm - Port Arthur, TX
hey I need advice about going from a band to bypass... i'm about a year and half out... when i first got my band i did really well... but i went back to school and started to get stressed out... so i was having problems with being too tight.... then too loose.... then ended up with a small GI bleed and had to take all the fluid out... after that I regained everything.... I had lost about 75lbs...  I went to see my doctor tuesday and he agreed that the band wasn't working for me and that i needed to do bypass...  my band is fine... it is in good placement and i have no dilation.... they put 4cc back in my band but i don't feel i have any restriction... not sure what to do?? any advice?
emjayel56
on 9/10/09 4:05 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
I had lapband for 9 years with similar problems; i've revised to gastric bypass last Monday 8/31.  Research as much as you can and make an informed decision for you.  I know your frustration with the band.  Good luck.  Maryjo
TXTara
on 9/10/09 12:18 pm
You might also consider going to the VSG, which a lot of former bandsters are getting. It doesn't have the issues with malabsorbtion, but is a permanent form of restriction. Of course, like bypass, you can stretch your stomach back out, but the way they do it it is much less likely. Good luck!
LizzieNJ
on 9/10/09 1:09 pm, edited 9/10/09 1:11 pm
I am having my band removed next Tuesday (9/15). I have had lots of issues. I had my band placed on May 20, 2009. I lost about 25 prior to surgery and 25 lb since the surgery. I have had no fluid in my band since last March. And only ever had about 4 cc in a 10 cc band . Severe reflux and band slippage have made it very hard for me to tolerate the band. I have luckily been restricted enough that I haven't regained any weight but can't eat anything without feeling like I am going to be sick.

The Dr told me it has to come out. This wasn't a choice. I wish I could leave it in just to maintain what I have lost. My greatest fear is regaining what I have kept off for a year. But I have only lost 2-7 lbs in the last 12 months.

The Dr told me I could consider a revision surgery in about 3 months after he removes my band. He mentioned both the bypass and the sleeve, but thought the bypass was better. I am definitely uncertain and want to try on my own before revising to either one.

I honestly feel like my body is in starvation mode and thats why I haven't lost any more weight. Hopefully being able to eat a normal portion (not what I ate before surgery) in a few weeks will kick start my metabolism. We shall see.

Good luck to you.

275/252/222/175
Consult/Pre-op/Current/Goal
AP Small 10cc Band   
Surgery Date May 20, 2008
1. First Fill - July 7, 08 - 2cc fill
2. Second Fill - August 6, 08 - 2cc fill (Total 4 ccs)
3. Complete Unfill - November 3rd, 2008
4. Third Fill - November 17th, 2008 - 2 ccs
5. Complete Unfill - March 9th, 2009 - Band Slip
6. Recheck - April 1st, 2009 - Still Slipped
7. Recheck - May 18th, 2009 - Still Slipped
8. Met with Surgeon - May 20th, 2009 Scheduled to have Band Slip fixed

emjayel56
on 9/11/09 12:32 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Good luck Lizzie.  I had similar issues with my bands of 9 years.  I had it taken out 8/31 and now have RNY bypass.  Doctor removed band and did revision same time.  Good luck with your journey.  Let me know how it goes.
maryjo
juliewilk
on 9/12/09 2:27 am - Novi, MI
I am revising 9/28 - all in 1 procedure - wish I had RNY in the first place.
firstlady
on 10/31/09 8:35 am - TX
I had revision on 10/22/09 from band to RNY all in 1 procedure. I too wish I has done it in the first place but was afraid to from hearing all the stories about complications. I am praying that this one works so that I will not have to take all of the diabetic medication anymore and live a long healthy life.
brandyII
on 9/12/09 4:38 am
I have seen a lot of bansters who did well with the band's restrictive qualities revise to the sleeve, not personally just on line.  I never did well with the band and so I knew just restriction would not help me so I revised to RNY and so far have been very happy with my choice.  Good luck in making yours, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

emjayel56
on 9/12/09 7:47 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Me too Julie ... I revised band to RNY on 8/31
Good luck to you.
Maryjo
firstlady
on 9/12/09 8:12 am - TX

Hi, I too have the band since 3/04 and had the port replaced in 05. Since then I had lost about 60 lbs but have now gained half of that back due to stress and my diabetes has gotten out of control again. I went to see surgeon about a week ago to check on bypass surgery which I now wish I had done in the first place,  He said I was the perfect candidate with all of my problems that I am having with bp and diabetes.  My lapband Dr keeps having me come back for fills but I am getting frustrated with him. I have 3 3/4 cc in my band which is the most I have ever had but he says there is no leak and have very little restriction. Well the bypass Dr has submited info to my insurance for approval. Wish me luck so I can get back on track.

Most Active