Lymphedema and RNY

missnanajean
on 9/7/09 11:48 pm - Friendswood, TX
Has anyone had lymphedema and gone on to have RNY surgery? I had lapband in 08 and now diagnosed with lymphedema. I'm all ready to get my revision and now this deteour. I'm hoping RNY will help take pressure off the lymphatic system. Any advise please. Miss Jean
joseph
on 9/9/09 10:22 am - livingston, NJ
I have also had a lapband, then got lymphdema.  In August I had the band removed because it prolapsed.  I am having the RNY on Sept. 24. I am hoping the same thing.
missnanajean
on 9/10/09 1:03 pm - Friendswood, TX
Thanks for the response Joseph. Did you have to do everything over again to be approved for the RNY and how were you diagnoised with your lymphedema  and what treatment are you getting. I have light   whole body massage then pumping to legs for 30min. then wrapping 4 days a week for the next 8 weeks so I can get Jobst stockings. I thought my legs and arms were just flabby until I went to a plastic surgeon before knee surgery. She said if she interupted the system anymore then knee surgery on top of that I would have huge legs and would not be able to be a nurse anymore. I had had 2 Csections 30yr.s +ago and tumors removed from my buttocks 27yr.s ago which they say caused my lymphedema. And being obese and being on my feet 12-14hr.s a day for the last 20 some years has also taken its toll. So I am being very compliant with the caffiene and diet and my body is feeling better after just 1 week of treatment. Please keep me posted on your progress. Prayers for a speedy recovery and safe surgery. Miss Jean
sighsmom
on 9/26/09 11:07 am - Rock Falls, IL
HONESTLY, the RNY made my lymphedena worse! Due to the excess skin putting pressure on my lymphs:(.
Sarahlicious
on 9/26/09 2:33 pm - Portsmouth, OH
You can use that as a reason for needed skin removed. I was diagnosed with Lymphedema before I had RNY, I started compression therapy with a pump and massage before I had surgery and continued it afterwards, my legs are 10000x better now after therapy and now wearing daily compression garments. I don't think the surgery alone did it, I owe a lot to the therapy, but I had a huge tummy flap that did put a lot of pressure on the lymph nodes in my groin, thankfully for many reasons it wad deemed medically neccesary to have it removed.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

shele
on 9/26/09 10:09 pm

I see sara already replied, look for Amy Williams also, she had the lymphedema also.

Good luck, hope you find the right answers!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

sighsmom
on 9/27/09 2:28 am - Rock Falls, IL
I believe that yes this would give me medical reason for the skin removal, unfortunately it's near impossible to find someone that takes medicaid for this. I've gone back to school and have about 2.5 more years to finish my teaching, and teachers generally have VERY good insurance, as thorugh being a paraprofessional I one had this. SO my hope is perhaps when I finish and have decent insurance I'll pursue it then. THat way I'll even have summers off and my little 2.5 year old will be older then too, and not so pick me up needy:) if you get my point:)
Most Active