HELP!! I WANT RNY REVISION ANY GOOD ADVICE?

lataniamcatee
on 9/8/09 10:04 am - Indianapolis, IN

Hello,

I was banded on April 4, 2007. I was at 285lbs and it is now 2009 and I am only at 263lbs. I have discussed this with my physician because she do not have a clue of what is going on. I go get a fill and in less than a week my restriction is gone. Then I go right back to her and the same thing happens again. Then she restricted me so much that I could not even get a bottle of water down. So I went back to get it unfilled. She talked to a DR in KY who told her to have me under fluro, drink barium and look at the band which she did. According to her she do not see any leakage, she filled the band again and the same thing happen. I am tired because I have gotten 12 fills in 2 months and this is ridiculous. I have started to see another surgeon, i transfered my medical records to them, and they want me to go through the whole seeing a psychiatrist, and weight loss seminar etc and then he tells me we are going to take a look at the band and see if we can work with it!! I have been working with it for 2yrs. Can anyone give me some feedback of a Dr in Indianapolis who is not going to go through all this and understand what I have been through to help instead of trying to milk my insurance company and my pockets? I know "sorry to hear about my band" lol. Any feedback will be helpful. O and by the way, I work out six times a week for 1 1/2 hrs and my diet is nothing but fresh fruits and vegtables, steamed and baked fish or chicken NO SWEETS AT ALL, NO SODA, NO ICE CREAM none of that, and it is still not working. Can anyone give some advice on a DR. Thanks[/QUOTE]

mew6495
on 9/8/09 10:41 am - MI
 Do you have an idea on what you would like to be revised to?  This may make a difference in the surgeon you see and his/her location.

Click on "find a surgeon" here on the OH link and it can help you find a surgeon in the area of your choice.

Have you considered the DS or RNY or are you only looking for a restrictive procedure?

Good Luck!

lataniamcatee
on 9/8/09 10:51 am - Indianapolis, IN
I am looking to get the RNY. I have talked to a surgeon and I am currently going through the process that he has, but I am not going to pay the psychologist again out of pocket to tell me that i am capable of having the surgery when I know that I am and I have went through it before. His answer to me was that we are going to look at the band and see if can work with it. DAH!! i have been working with it for how long now. I talked to my insurance company and I have a bariatric nurse that is working with me to get it approve, however I just have to find the right Dr that is willing to correct the issued instead of trying to milk my insurance company first with restictions / fills with the band etc and then going for the revision. I am looking for a Dr. here in Indy. Thank you for your respond.
smileyjamie72
on 9/11/09 5:55 am - Palmer, AK

If you are going to have a revision from your band.... My opinion is that you should RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!!  The responses to you post have very good insight, as well.

Here is a link to a blog... it has some good "comparison information" on the RNY and DS.
Please click the link, and take the 10-15 minutes to read, and educate yourself .  It is the second post down, in her blog.  Very well worth the time.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/hayley_hayley/

Keep your chin up, girlie!!!!  Things WILL GET BETTER!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

jeanyjane
on 9/9/09 6:16 am - Germany
There is a very good doc in Indiana, Dr. Margaret Inman, who does revisions from the lapband. She is doing the DS, too. The RNY is the most common surgery, but that doesn't mean it`s the best. You see sooo many unhappy RNY'ers here in need of revision due to insufficent weight loss or regain, please do your research if you really want to go with the RNY. The DS has much better longterm results.

All the best!
nanamickey
on 9/9/09 7:42 pm
It sounds like your body cant take to a band, Also your Dr. is in  not taking the right test. I went thru the same fill then unfill for over 20 times. If they dont fill under fluro, then they really are clueless to what is going on. Find another Dr that does the fill under Fluro. then try it for awhile. If  you don't lose the weight. have a revision. 
Alot of the Drs. really don't know how to fill an there instructions from the company that makes the band, states to fill under fluro. To fill blindly is foolish and a great money maker for the Drs.
Be pro active in your case, don't let them believing it's you.
your right seeing a psychiatrist it really bull, and another money maker, but this Dr. really doesn't know you.
There are so many failures with the band. Foreign countries no longer will do them.
A percentage of people with bands will do alright ,but really many have problems.
Do a revision if you can.
Has any Dr even giving you a upper GI test to see what is going on. The band could have a kink in it. the port could have bloged., the band itself could have a trear in it. It's easier for Drs to blame the patient, fight for your rights, and have more test to really see what is going on. If the surgeion won't go to  your PCP n have him do test.
lataniamcatee
on 9/10/09 10:26 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Thanks NanaMickey for your comment. You completely understand what I mean, it is rediculous how they assume that it is the patient when they really are not familar with how it works themself. I did have the upper GI and everything, we did the fluro and she filled me all the way to see if there was a leak in the band she didnt see any but like the other dr was saying sometimes you wont be able to see the leak it can be as small as a stick pin point. She dont get it, I am looking at other DR's believe me I am. She wont make money off of me, I didnt think that the bannd would be so much maintence and time consuming. My dr told me that it wasnt, she was like "all you need is one fill a year and after that sometimes none because you will be where you need to be with restriction!! A LIE!!! I have been multiple times and nothing happening, people need to really know what is all consistant and expectant of the band. I am not knockng the band what so ever, I think that it is a good concept, however it does not work for and with everyone body type and the is where Dr's need to do more extensive research, study and test to determine would it is good for and who it isnt good for. Thanks for you advice.
pycca
on 9/11/09 4:41 am - Haslet, TX
Hi  sorry you are having troubles!!  I am in the same boat,  As a nurse myself it was very frustrating to be getting all fills and loosing saline plus doing all we are taught,  not get anywhere, then to want to have a revision to something THAT will work,  have to repeat stuff!! lol

My issues are cannot keep most solids down at all no matter how well I chew, and living mostly on protein shakes, but at times even then liquids have a time too!

I have to repeat because I have a new ins. original was United ,now I have Aetna. But United has a set of rules for revisions that almost was harder to do because you,had to show you did as directed, prove with check in at gym logs, have a daily food diary for 6 mons and new psyc eval it was horrible!!! 

So I waited till I could change ins, now I have some but not like it was for a revision with same ins... Going with a totally different  Dr who is qualified to do all surgeries gives you a better choice...  Good Luck!

Deb

Most Active