Never Be Ashamed To Ask For Help!

Teena A.
on 9/8/09 12:09 am, edited 9/8/09 12:44 am - Mesquite, TX
I just read this story and I am speechless.

The article itself has nothing at all to do with WLS, but the message I got from it does in more ways then one.

www.wyff4.com/news/20774557/detail.html

The jest of the story is that a 39 year old man was found starved to death after his friends and family had been looking for him for a month.

He had lost his job and was getting unemployment and living in a tent at a lake

Rather than ask his family or friends for help he did without and he starved to death.

Per the comments from his friends he had depression issues and was a very prideful person as he did not let anyone know that things had gotten this bad.

That is truly a sad story.

The lesson I took from this article is that no matter what your situation is in life to never be to proud to ask for help from others.

I have struggled with this issue all of  my life as a result of how my mother raised me to believe that I should never discuss my troubles with people and that I did not need anyone else's help in doing anything and that asking for help is a sign of weakness or failure, etc.(working on in therapy..LMAO)

I even kept my cervical cancer a secret from family and friends and went through it all by myself  (hired hospice nurses and care givers when I had chemo and radiation) when my ex bf I lived with was in Iraq and my family lived too far away because I was to prideful and did not want to bother anyone (my aunt was also dying from breast cancer at the time so I did not want to worry my family further).

I am not going to go into further detail, but I I just hope that you all get my point.

If you need help never be ashamed to ask for it.

At some point in everyone's lives they will need help from others and there is nothing wrong with that even if your pride tells you there is.

There are so many people in the world who devote their lives to helping others.

If you need help please be sure to reach out for it.

I just had to share this with you all because this man's life could have been saved.

I am not very religious, but I do love this scripture.

Jeremiah 33:3 (New American Standard Bible) - Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

bebaugh
on 9/8/09 12:35 am - Merced, CA
I know it is hard for me to ask for help too.  I think a lot of women feel that way because we are always the ones giving the help.  Thank you for sharing this story which in deed makes a very good point.

Bebaugh (Elizabeth)

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." Carl Bard    

Teena A.
on 9/10/09 1:23 am - Mesquite, TX
Elizabeth,

I believe you are right in the fact that most of the time us women are the ones that give the help.

When we are always giving sometimes we have no idea who to turn to when we need the help ourselves.

Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Bergej82
on 9/8/09 11:55 am - Vadnais Heights, MN
Great post! 

I think many people are not able to ask for the help they need for a variety of reasons...I feel that is why these boards are soooo valuable...every struggle you have takes you a step further in your journey...you never know when someone will come along and offer you what you need when you need it...

~Jodi 

Teena A.
on 9/10/09 1:25 am - Mesquite, TX
I agree.

If this board was not here I am have no idea where I would be able to go to get all of the information and support that I get from all of you guys.

Seeing all of the different things people experience on their journeys the good, the bad, the ugly is a very value tool.

Teena Adler

Most Active