revision questions

msdonnasho
on 9/7/09 8:09 am, edited 9/7/09 8:39 am - Elkhart, IN
Hello to all, I am a 42 year old female 5ft3  that at my highest weight I was 270, I had the gastric by pass in 2000 and then went down to a low beautiful 147. At the present time I am about 200 lbs and have been that weight for about 2 years not going up or down. I have been doing some searches on any type of revisional and would really love to hear some feed back on anone who has had it done and what  procedure was used and how is the weight loss going. I really want this done because even though I smile on the outside my heart breaks on the inside and I just can't believe how I have let myself get back to avoiding mirrors once again. I take care of ailing mother and would just love to do this for me. Please some advice would be so greatly appreciated.
Kathy H.
on 9/7/09 1:20 pm - Kent, WA
I can't speak for any other type of revision than the one I chose - the Duodenal Switch.

I started out with the VBG (old stomach stapling), which was a restrictive-only surgery much like the band, only "permanent."

I chose the DS as my revision becuase it had the very best short- and long-term weight loss statistics, and the very best co-morbidity resolution of all my options. I knew this surgery would be my last, regardless of how successful the outcome, so I went for the surgery with the best statistics, even though it meant having to travel across country to make it happen.

With only around 50 pounds to lose, there may be other options out there to consider. I weighed about 320 when I had my original surgery, lost around 135 and regained it all back over the course of the 20+ years. I was at 318 when I started looking into a revision.

My revision was on May 4th, and including the 20 pounds I lost prior to surgery, I've lost 88 pounds, which is about 55% of what I want to lose. By all accounts, I'm doing swimmingly well, and enjoying more freedom with eating than I've had in the last 23 years. I love my DS!

My suggestion is that you research ALL your options, yourself, prior to discussing anything with your doc. The reason? Your surgeon is only going to suggest those options which he or she can perform, and will either give you outdated or inaccurate information regarding other options that may be out there and available to you.

Hopefully, someone will come along in short order to talk about other options for you to consider. In the meantime, I'll invite you to the Duodenal Switch forum. The folks there are generous with their time and knowledge, and you'll likely find someone there who has been in a position very similar to yours, and can give you some advice.

Also, here are a couple of Web sites that may be helpful in familiarizing yourself with the Duodenal Switch:

www.Dsfacts.com

http://duodenalswitch.com/

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the luck in the world. I'm sorry you've found yourself in this position, and I'm so glad you're taking action ... and even happier yet that you're asking questions!

xoxo

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

msdonnasho
on 9/7/09 4:56 pm, edited 9/7/09 4:56 pm - Elkhart, IN
Thank you Kathy, I will look into all possibitiltes and very good advice.
shele
on 9/7/09 8:58 pm

My suggestion is that you research ALL your options, yourself, prior to discussing anything with your doc. The reason? Your surgeon is only going to suggest those options which he or she can perform, and will either give you outdated or inaccurate information regarding other options that may be out there and available to you

That is good advice!!

I had the erny, which is the same as the lower intestinal part of the ds. Loss is slow, but sure!

I am happy with my choice.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

katies2angels
on 9/16/09 9:42 am
i know exactly what you are going through.  My highest weight was 330 lost 150 pounds and gained 60 pounds.  I had my surgery in 2000 too.  I am scheduled for my revision surgery had an RNY and going for another one.  I am also concerned on the weight loss the stories I hear it is not as dramatic as the first one but I have to take the risk.  I hate looking at myself too, clothes hate them nothing seems to look good on me.  I know the stress of taking care of a parent does havac to your health. I took care of my elderly father and my asthma acted up on so much predisone the doctor told me it was the medicine that put the weight on but can't seem to get it off me.  I hope this helped you.  I wish you luck.  Take care of yourself.  It is the person inside that matters than the person looking at you in the mirror.  You have a wonderful heart.
msdonnasho
on 9/16/09 4:44 pm - Elkhart, IN
thank you very much for responding, I did make an appointment with a surgeon for the 9th of October to see what is going on and to see what my options are. Will post when I find out anything.
katies2angels
on 9/17/09 11:27 am
Your welcome.  Stay in touch hopefully you will get an answer that you are hoping for.
Take good care.

kathleen
Most Active