lapband revision

louisianamamaof3
on 9/6/09 10:35 am - broussard, LA
Hi I was wondering does it matter about the insurance covering a revision from band to RNY if they didnt pay for the first surgery? I paid for my band and hate it so  im looking into having the RNY done my insurance covers it but was wondering about them covering the band being removed. thanks Shannon

banded 8-08 starting weight 260 lbs. as of today i'm 231 lbs have a 10cc band with 6cc's in it and my dr.doesnt want to put anymore cause he dont wont me making BAD food choices if the band is toooo tight...
emjayel56
on 9/6/09 10:38 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Best way is for your doctor to put the insurance claim in for an RNY ith no mention of band; they did that for me for 2nd band and it was approved easily. gets more complicated when you start mentioning revisions etc.  Good luck
Nicole_2006
on 9/7/09 4:41 am - Arlington, VA

My doctor put in for revision, which is removal of band and then to get RNY.  They approved RNY, but denied revision, so I will have to fight it or pay out of pocket for the revision. I think I will pay out of pocket, that way I can have my surgery this year. My doctor had already warned me that Cigna does not typically pay for the revision piece.

Good luck to you.

emjayel56
on 9/7/09 5:13 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Nicole
Try to work out a deal with your doctor; a lot of doctors will forego the price of the actual taking out of the band since they are being paid for the RNY.  Negotiate with your doctor.  Good luck.
maryjo
Mary B.
on 9/8/09 4:38 am - Southern, MD

http://www.fillcentersusa.com/locator/index.php

I was just visiting the revision boards cause Im having a pity party here...

Anyway, noticed your post and I would be HIGHLY irritated with that. Have you checked out a Fill Center USA? Looks like they have one in New Orleans. Maybe you could get in with them and get a fill...just a suggestion. I was thinking of trying one cause the fill center is closer to me than my dr.

Good luck to you.

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

louisianamamaof3
on 9/8/09 11:40 am - broussard, LA
hi Mary thanks i didnt even know about them could you give me some more info on pricing and how they work? also do they need my records from my dr. or will they check to see how much fluid i have inmy band. thanks shannon
Mary B.
on 9/8/09 10:02 pm - Southern, MD
Hey Shannon,
I dont know a WHOLE lot about them but it looks like they do fills for people who had surgery out of the country, for people with no after care or people who'se doctors are just too hard to get in with.

What I do know:
Initial visit/office consult $85 (no fill)

They have some kind of annual program that covers the office visit and some combination of 6-8 consults/fills. They offer financing for that.

What I Think:
I think if you dont buy the annual program...its something like $385 for the first visit/fill, then fills after that is maybe $190.

I paid out of pocket since insurance wouldnt cover my surgery and my fills are $250...so $190 would be cheaper for me.

Not sure if they would need your medical records or not.

Not sure if all of this is in your price range, but it would seem worth it to me before getting a revision. It seems that you are just having a disconnect with your dr office.

Let me know what you decide. Im totally frustrated with my band too. I knew I would have to work with my tool, but I didnt expect it to be SO difficult. I guess I thought if I ate less and made better choices 90% of the time, that I would lose weight.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

louisianamamaof3
on 9/9/09 7:55 am - broussard, LA
Same here.... i think its still cheaper for me to see my dr being i would have to drive where he is and i think he only charges like 75.00 he said. So after all the readingive doneonthe bypass the band the sleeve and the DS this is what i think....the band and the sleeve are for people that could not control the amount of food they ate. the bypassand the DS are for people that needs the carbs to be absorb. cause i never over ate or ate enough to be over weight but the foods i was eating is the problem....okay so thats my opinion tho. so im going to start keeping a journel of what im eating and see if that helps and replace my chocolate with fruits....have only about 60 pounds to lose so i would hate to have bypass for that and if i can pull 5 lbs a month than in 12 months i havemy 60 pounds.....so that is my goal...thanks for all in information and keep in touch we can talk if you need someone...Shannon
Most Active