band to ? revision complication questions?

marcie K.
on 9/7/09 1:41 pm - Sahuarita, AZ
I have seen one post on here with someone who had complications.  I'm wondering if anyone else had had complcations and what they were? 
Linda G.
on 9/9/09 10:32 pm - Burlington, Canada
Hello,

I do not post much but game here and saw you r question and thought I would jump in.  I had a VBG done early 90's so am not sure if having the DS procedure in 2007 equates to a revision.  Some people have referred to my complications as relating to revision issues and others not.  I will let you make up your own mind.

-had the DS done at a starting weight of 371
-about 3 days after surgery had pains and had to undergo another surgery for leaks
-repaired 3 leaks and ended up on life support for about 10 days followng this surgery
-still one small leak discovered after I finally did come to
-could not go in to do a repair after the problems following the second surgery
-could not get up after second surgery due to pain in arms, hands, legs and feet
-tested for all sorts of potential issues
-saw 5 neuroligists
-put on gamapenden(s?) which resolved some of the leg and foot pain enough that I was able to start walking again.  This was a slow process to get me to a point of finally being able to walk only assisted by a cane which I still use today
You know, this is why I do not post much.  My story is a long and complicated one.  So to wrap it up, I have lost approx. 160lbs.  I spent one year in the hospital.  I still live with chronic pain and take some pretty heavy duty pain pills.
So, complications of my type could have happened with any type of surgery not just WLS. At least that is what I believe.
marcie K.
on 9/10/09 5:42 am - Sahuarita, AZ
I'm sorry to hear about all your problems:(  I hope that you are still continuing to improve and feel better!  Do you think your problems were from having a revisional surgery?  You say that it could have happened with any surgery were you just unfortunate and had complications or was it because you had the revision and previous problems from your first surgery?

Thanks
Marcie
Linda G.
on 9/10/09 10:29 pm - Burlington, Canada
Hi Marcie,

I think my complications were in part due to scar tissue from my previous VBG but also that complications could have happened having surgeries other than the DS.

Best wishes!
brandyII
on 9/10/09 5:27 am
Mars817,

I'm not sure what you mean by your post?  A complication from revision or prior to that?  Nancy
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

marcie K.
on 9/10/09 5:39 am - Sahuarita, AZ
My surgeon said that if I had a revision surgery I would be at an increased risk of complications than someone having the surgery without a previous wls surgery.  I'm wondering what people have actually experienced; if they have had complications and what kinds.  Just trying to look at all my options.
brandyII
on 9/10/09 6:49 am

I had my band removed eight months prior to my revision and other than having more scar tissue due to the previous band I haven't had any complications so far since my RNY in 6/09 (knock on wood!)  Good luck to you, Nancy.

Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/09 8:51 am - AZ
On September 10, 2009 at 12:39 PM Pacific Time, mars817 wrote:
My surgeon said that if I had a revision surgery I would be at an increased risk of complications than someone having the surgery without a previous wls surgery.  I'm wondering what people have actually experienced; if they have had complications and what kinds.  Just trying to look at all my options.

When you have had a band and you are switching to a WLS type with a staple line because of the scarring with the band your risk for infection, perforation, and leaks are three fold.  That's why you go to a true revision surgeon to cut your chances for a leak down.

I went from band to sleeve and had no surgically related complications.  I had complications but not as a direct result of the surgery but instead I was so ill and malnourished from the band that I had a bit harder time with recovery.

Most Active