Interested in the Stomophy revision, does anyone know much about this?

mlrmaui
on 9/6/09 8:05 pm - Makawao, HI
I had a gastric bypass RNY in 2002, and  went from 250 lbs. to 135-140 lbs, and life was great! But.in 2007 I had a series of setbacks, and went up to 175 again. I'm ready to look into a revision before it gets any worse!. I am interested in any info anybody has on the Stomaphy X revision? Or any revisions that have worked?
margaritac
on 9/9/09 2:31 pm - chula vista, CA
Hi, I too had gastric bypass, however, mine was in July 2004 (went from 265 to 130 lbs)...felt great, too.  In 2007 I went through trauma and between 2007 and 2008 put on 50 lbs...I had Stomphyx in April 2008, and it Did NOT work....here I am now at 190, and researching on Revision Surgery... I wish you luck. 

MC

mlrmaui
on 9/9/09 3:36 pm - Makawao, HI
Thank you so much for your reply!

Do you know of anyone else who has had it, and what their results were?

Because I am trying to decide, I see the Dr.who does WLS revisions  this Friday, and he has not been very clear on even his own patients results , on the 50 or so people he has done Stomaphyx on, about how they are doing now. So I'm just trying to find out as much as I can from real people like yourself, who've been through it!
Thanks again! 
jenny P.
on 9/10/09 2:02 am - comanche, ok
Hi!
I had StomaphyX July 10 '09. I am super happy with it.
Here is my story. RNY '04. Lost 153 lbs. Had a beautiful baby girl in '06. Gained back 47 lbs.
My surgeon's office started offering the StomaphyX and I was one of the two first patients the surgeon has ever performed it on. I approached this with the goal of getting back on track. I was a nutrional nightmare to quote my surgeon and had to undergo 30 days of rigorous vitamin regimen before she would even perform the procedure.
At this point I am at 194 lbs. That is 32 lbs lost in around two months. Please understand that the entire procedure is just another tool and is not like the RNY. Diet and exercise are an important part of the equation. My surgeon approached this as a tool and part of an entire weight loss program. I have been on a strict diet for 9 weeks and my exercise is monitored bi weekly. I was out of pocket $6900.00 for the entire procedure excluding the original scope to see if I would benefit from the procedure. It is outpatient procedure and I had virtually no pain. I went in on Friday and returned to work Monday.
I am 15 lbs away from where I was prior to having my beautiful baby girl and my lowest weight with RNY. MY goal is 20.
I do beleive long term weight loss with this procedure is dependent on getting back on track with diet and exercise and staying there. That is my plan and I would absolutley go thru the procedure again and pay out of pocket again.
Good LUCK!
Jen
Carol M.
on 11/12/09 2:51 am - Indiana, PA
Hi , I am having the stomaphyx procedure next week and wanted to know how well you are doing bad or good, I have not been able to find much information on the stomaphyx.
Thanks 
Carol 
tamann829
on 3/10/10 7:58 am - Dayton, NV
Who was your surgeon?  I am in Iowa and having a hard time finding a local surgeon.... I am about 7 years out on my surgery and have gained about 40 pounds and am starting to freak out a bit.
mikepro0517
on 9/11/09 8:05 pm - NJ
RNY on 06/11/07 with
mew6495
on 9/11/09 10:11 pm - MI
On September 7, 2009 at 3:05 AM Pacific Time, mlrmaui wrote:
I had a gastric bypass RNY in 2002, and  went from 250 lbs. to 135-140 lbs, and life was great! But.in 2007 I had a series of setbacks, and went up to 175 again. I'm ready to look into a revision before it gets any worse!. I am interested in any info anybody has on the Stomaphy X revision? Or any revisions that have worked?
 Hi mirmaul,

My story is similar to yours.  I had Proximal RNY in 2001, went down to 125 and in 2008 found myself back up to 184.  I too wanted to do something before I had regained all of it.  I checked into many types of revisions and the information I found on the stomaphyx, rose and scelatherapy type procedures  was that there were not real great long term results noted yet.  Of those who frequent these boards and post (not many) their experiences have not been great.   I would suggest researching all your options so that you are not back here in a couple of years or even less looking for yet another revision.

I chose the ERNY and had it done in Oct 2008.  I am back at goal and have been maintaining for about 4 months now.  I eat a normal diet and do not  follow a strict organized diet program.  I have not had to partake in an extraneous exercise program (at this point my schedule would not allow it).  I am very happy with my decision.  Keep in mind the more malabsorpative procedures are not for everyone.  You may want to also check into the DS (most complicated  highest risk, great long term results), Band over bypass (BOB), Distal RNY or ERNY.

You have many options.  Do your research and go into your doctor as an informed patient so that the two of you can work towards what is best for your life style and cir****tances.  This way you won't be put in the position of accepting something just because it was the only thing suggested by a doctor.

Good Luck.  Let us know how you make out.

mlrmaui
on 9/12/09 12:19 pm - Makawao, HI
Aloha Mike!

Thank you so much for your reply, and congratulations for being back at goal!

So ERNY worked well for you....I'm going to look into it .... It really means a lot to me to hear from a real person who had a similar problem to mine, and has dealt with it successfully!

If it is ok, I have one more question... if you don't mind, could you tell me around how much it cost?

I am a self-pay person, as it seems many WLS revision folks are, and that would give me some idea if the ERNY would be a good way for me to go.

Thank you again, and continued success to you!
Michelle Ritchie
mew6495
on 9/13/09 12:16 am - MI
On September 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM Pacific Time, mlrmaui wrote:
Aloha Mike!

Thank you so much for your reply, and congratulations for being back at goal!

So ERNY worked well for you....I'm going to look into it .... It really means a lot to me to hear from a real person who had a similar problem to mine, and has dealt with it successfully!

If it is ok, I have one more question... if you don't mind, could you tell me around how much it cost?

I am a self-pay person, as it seems many WLS revision folks are, and that would give me some idea if the ERNY would be a good way for me to go.

Thank you again, and continued success to you!
Michelle Ritchie
 The ERNY has worked really well for me.  I know there are some who have not had the same results as mine.  I suppose just like any type of revision.  It is important to maintain compliance to your vitamins, protein and keep the CARB MONSTER in check.

The first couple of months out of the revision were a bit rough as far as the weight loss was concerned.  I seemed to be loosing SO SLOOOOOW!  But once I understood my body and my "New Tool" better it kind of fell into place.

If you can understand how to work your tool and are ok with the increased BM's and gas (dependent on diet and compliance) then the ERNY can be very effective.

My insurance paid for mine.  Well mostly...I still have one bill pending from the surgery center that is in review with my insurance.  I think the costs averages around ~$20 to $25 k.  It will be different from doctor to doctor and what they have to do once the get in there I'm sure.  The cost is one of the things that pushed me to an ERNY from a DS.  The DS, every doctor I talked to wanted ~$33 k up front and there was resistance on wether they would even take me on as a patient because my BMI was not over 40.  Some surgeons will give you a bit of a break if you are a self pay.  I just did not have that kind of $$$ to pay up front and I needed a doctor who was willing to work with me, support me and work with my insurance.  The biggest driving factor that pushed me toward the ERNY was the risk  factor of higher possible complications with taking down the pouch and reconstructing it that comes with the DS.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask or PM me.

MEW 

Most Active