Did you have to document diet for a revision?

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/09 6:08 am - Bayonne, NJ
If you've had a revision, did you have to document 6 months of diet in order to proceed? It seems ridiculous!
Nancy S.
on 9/5/09 9:07 am - Mesa, AZ
I have Cigna medicare , and YES, even for a revision, they want a 6 month Dr supervised diet history within the previous two years of surgery.
xo Nancy

Kathy H.
on 9/5/09 9:48 am - Kent, WA
I have Aetna, and no.... I didn't. I also didn't have to provide the weight history that is now required of a first-timer WLS patient.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

pokerchips
on 9/6/09 8:10 am
United Health Care accepted my weigh****chers logs that I faxed to the doctor.  I was surprised because they were copies of the little booklets that the group leader wrote in. They did had to cover at least 3 months consecutive months of attendance and I had them for different periods during the 2 year period.   No additional documentation was needed. 

Documentation differs for every insurance company also it depends why you are having the revision if it is for a medically necessary reason other than insufficient weight loss documentation of diet/weight loss history may not be needed.  Good luck on your journey.

Good luck on your new journey.

Change is a Process Not an Event

Teena A.
on 9/6/09 10:20 am - Mesquite, TX
Teena A.
on 9/6/09 10:21 am - Mesquite, TX
I have United Healthcare PPO and I have a mechanical failure so the documented diet was not needed.

44238 gastric outlet obstruction is the cpt code that my doctors office used to get me approved.

I wish you we
ll on your journey.
Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Bergej82
on 9/7/09 9:01 am - Vadnais Heights, MN
I also did not need to document my diet due to band failure. I have Medica.
~Jodi 

Satinysilke
on 9/8/09 10:21 am - CA

I didn't need any diet documentation either. I was revised from band to RNY due to a severe slip.

Renee

RNY 9/1/09

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/09 4:14 am - Bayonne, NJ
Thanks, everyone. BCBS in NJ has the diet listed on their approval form, so the Nurse is telling me they are going to require it. I can't get a straight answer from BCBS because the people who answer the phones are, well, not all there. They told me WLS in general isn't covered and I know it is.

I don't have an obstruction, but the gastric band causes me to vomit when I don't eat soft food. I have evidence of reflux (wild, considering there's no stomach acid due to the rny) from the regurgitation. I'm hoping they'll approve it based on that, but we'll see. *sigh*
Most Active