From Band to DS or RNY

Nicole_2006
on 9/4/09 11:17 am - Arlington, VA
I was banded in 2006 weighed about 230 pounds, after complications, I am going in for a revision. Lowest weight 184, now I am now 215, my goal weight is 140. I am going back and forth with DS or RNY!!! Please help, do not want to have another revision in 3 years.

Thank you for your posts.
shele
on 9/4/09 8:06 pm

Well, If you read these boards, and research all your options, you will make an informed decision!  There are a few ds revisions, some have to be re-sleeved, and a few due to excess loss.The majority of revisions that I have seen are rny or band peeps.

Go over to all the boards and see which lifestyle you can live with, they all are different and require work and commitment on your part, especially after the initial weightloss phase!

Good Luck!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Kathy H.
on 9/5/09 10:19 am - Kent, WA
I was in a similar situation, though I was heavier than you started out, and was heavier when I went in for my revision. But my original surgery was restrictive only, like a "permanent" Band.

With only 75 pounds to lose, you'd be considered a "lightweight" for a DS, but many lightweights are doing fabulously well with the DS.

There are some significant differences between the RNY and the DS. Please do a lot of research on your own before making your decision. You'll most likely live with this surgery for the rest of your life.

I will post some pros and cons of the DS (the surgery I chose for my revision). I hope someone will come along and post the pros and cons of the RNY, as well. This is a basic, on-the-fly list, .... I'm sure I've missed some items I'll remember later!

Duodenal Switch Pros:
-the best statistics for both short- and long-term weight loss
-the best statistics for co-morbidity resolution (type 2 diabetes is RESOLVED... not just put in remission)
-retain the pylorus - the remaining stomach is fully functioning, just smaller
-because of the retention of the pylorus, there is no sugar-dumping like some RNYers experience
-able to eat nearly regular portions of food - no feeling deprived because of tiny portions
-very forgiving WLS... you get off track, it's easy to get back ON track and begin losing again
-much of your hunger-hormone-producing stomach is removed
-EASY "diet" to follow - you're able to eat proteins and fats to your heart's content

Duodenal Switch Cons:
-need to stay away from white flour (they often produce gas)
-stools can be smelly (this is diet-induced, and controllable once you figure out what's causing it)
-some folks end up below goal, and must take enzymes or even have revision surgery to keep their weight at a healthy level
-malabsorptive element makes you susceptible to vitamin deficiencies, which can lead to other health issues
-labs and follow-ups for the rest of my life

The cons all seemed to be things that were either within my control, or (in the case of labs and follow-ups) things I'd be more than happy to do in exchange for the "Pros" listed above. I can eliminate the gas and smelly stools by eating as I should be eating, anyway... eliminating carbs and white flour from my diet. The risk of vitamin deficiencies means I HAVE to be strict with myself on my supplements and protein intake. No exceptions, no excuses. The frequent labs are a great way to keep myself on track, nutritionally.

I've been very happy with my choice. If you were to eat a meal with me, you'd not know I had WLS at all. This was important to me, because I didn't want to miss out on the very human, very social aspect of sharing a meal with friends and family. I'd spent 23 years with my original surgery, and no longer wanted to eat off a small plate with small utensils to trick my mind into thinking I was eating "normally."

Something I did as I was making my decision that I found VERY helpful was to post the same question on both the RNY and the DS boards:

"Did you REALLY research both the RNY and the DS, and why did you choose the surgery that you chose?"

I found the responses to be fascinating and they definitely helped me come to my decision.

No matter what you decide, I honestly wish you all the luck in the world. Please let us know how you're doing with the process.

Some very informative Web sites that might help:

dsfacts.com
duodenalswitch.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Kim E.
on 9/8/09 3:36 am - VA
I went from band to the DS and all went beautifully !  Please just keep researching and make your own informed decision ! Best of luck to YOU !
Kim 

Lap Band March 2007- SW = 310
DS - 4/24/09 - SW = 255
CW = 175
GW = 160
Colon Cancer Survivor and Obesity Survivor - Can't do much better then that !!  ENJOY !!!

Nicole_2006
on 9/8/09 11:14 am - Arlington, VA
Thank you Kathy,  that was wonderful.

I have been going back and forth, back and forth. I was set on RNY, because I am a lightweight, but my doctor also made me think, by letting me know the success rate of DS, and the eating normal, just really made me sway to DS.

I am going to contact my insurance company tomorrow to see if they even cover DS, if not, then RNY it will be, which I am already approved.

Also, what has me turned off of DS, is the 12 pills a day, I know how I am with taking pills, and you can not play around with it at all with DS, I hear.

I will keep you posted.

Kim thank you as well, I will continue to research.

Nicole
Most Active