I'll be Homebound soon

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/09 2:05 am - Phx, AZ
Well, tomorrow is it... my last day of work... I am having to quit due to complications of:
Hemolytic Anemia...my Hematologist just last week diagnosed it as a GENETIC/INHERITED condition... which would explain some things.  He also said that there is a SERIOUS issue with NONabsorption of fat-soluble vitamins, etc.... which would explain a lot of other things.  I have read on the subject, and evidently, NONabsorption of these vitamins is a problem with this type of anemia.  This problem is SERIOUS... because one needs the soluble fat vitamins to keep the Red Blood Cells strong... and w/Hemolytic Anemia, these are rapidly destroyed in the bone marrow as it is... add to it the absorption issue, and you have RBCs being becoming more fragile & destroyed much faster than that.  Hence, I am pooped due to the low RBC, HGB, & HCT counts.

ADD TO THAT  THE REVISION, AND YOU HAVE A TERRIBLE MESS!!!

Because of the anemia/fat absorption issues, I am being prescribed Pancreatic Enzymes.  These are supposed to help my body to absorb more fully the vitamins I need.  IF these don't do the trick, I will be forced to have a Port "installed" into my chest, for 2x weekly nutritional/vitamin "feedings"...for how long???  I dunno.  Oh great. 

Some people are calling me "skeletal", which I wouldn't go that far, because I still have some fat on me...just look at my stomach.  Mostly, it's my neck/arms... upper body.  I won't ever have a tummy tuck... can't afford that, physically. 

At any rate, my Hematologist said that I should not be working, secularly.  Fortunately, I, as an artist, am able to continue to draw and paint.  If anyone wants to see samples of greeting cards, etc... PM me, and I'd be happy to show you what I have. 

No, I won't let this get me down, because realistically, I am STILL alive... altho weak and exhausted at times...  But, with the time at home now, I'll have much more stamina to last to the end of each day.  ") 

Just wanted to update you all. 

Lizzie G

starrgirrl
on 9/3/09 2:38 am - los angeles, CA
Dear Lizzie-

Oh my goodness, what a journey you are on! I am sending you prayers of light & love that you heal gracefully. May the doctors find the perfect treatment that enables you to feel better & regain a sense of physical vitality! Thank you for sharing your experience and allowing us to support you. I am holding you in the vision of perfect & radiant health!

With Light and Bessings
shele
on 9/3/09 4:17 am

Soo sorry to hear this, But you seem to have a great attitude, and that will go along way!

Prayers going your way!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

ginau
on 9/3/09 8:45 am - mesa, AZ
Liz

question:  Would you still have had some type of problems if you just had the original bypass?  as you had some malabsorption and this is a genetic disease.

And  the revision just made the issue more complicated ?  due to additional  malabsorption.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

mew6495
on 9/3/09 10:56 pm - MI
 Liz,

What a horrific ordeal you have been faced with!  I know no words I post can lighten your burden but know that you are in my prayers and thoughts.  

Hang in there girlfriend....Thank you so much for keeping us posted.  
MEW

Teena A.
on 9/6/09 10:24 am - Mesquite, TX
Lizzie,

I am sorry to hear of all of your medical problems.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Keep your head up.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

JROLFSON
on 9/8/09 3:47 am - St. George, UT
Lizzie:

I hope they get this issue under control for you...I'll be praying...

And, I would love to see your art or greeting cards...I am always needing greeting card!

Janie
(deactivated member)
on 9/8/09 12:11 pm - Phx, AZ
Janie:

Saw a really good doc today at Mayo Clinic...an endo who specializes in RNY complications... has all sorts of tests for me... She thinks that my malabsorption is WAY too much...that perhaps too much of my sm intestine is bypassed for me... it may require another surgery.  I dunno yet, but we will see.  All I know is I'm tired of being sick. 

Did I send you an e-mail w/a sample greeting card??? or was it the drawing?  I don't remember.  Let me know.

Lizzie
JROLFSON
on 9/8/09 1:21 pm - St. George, UT
Wow Lizzie...I can't believe how much you have endured through all this...But you're in the right place the Mayo Clinic gets down to business...

Are they thinking the malabsorption portion of the ERNY or the bypassed portion of the RNY?

When you say you may have to have another surgery would that be to undo either surgery or both?

Gosh I hope that's not necessary for you to go through it again...But whatever it takes for you to get better...

I think you may have sent a drawing...Anyway...email me if you still have my email address sample greeting cards and let me know your prices...like I said I love stocking up...

Take care Lizzie...I'll be thinking of you constantly till I hear your in the clear...

Janie
Most Active