Band Over Bypass= BOB (as a revision)

Teena A.
on 9/2/09 9:32 am, edited 9/6/09 3:43 pm - Mesquite, TX
Please only answer this post if you have had a previous Gastric Bypass surgery and as a revision years later had a Lap Band placed over it = Band over Bypass (bob).

I would like to know if you made it to goal weight after the revision of having the band placed over the gastric bypass.

How successful was your revision?

If you would like to know why I am asking this or want to know particulars regarding my case please see my profile blog.

Thank you in advance.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/09 3:48 pm - San Diego, CA
I love my BOB!  I have lost 41 lbs of the 50 lbs regained since my revision on 5/28/09.  I feel as of now, although I am early out, I am definitely a success!!  Any other questions, just ask. :)
Teena A.
on 9/6/09 9:55 am - Mesquite, TX
Thx for your post.

I have sent you an email offline.

I also wanted to wish you well on your weight loss.

You look great.

Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

JustLookingToo
on 9/6/09 11:24 am - AL
 Teena, I saw some ladies at my surgeon's seminar *****ached goal weight after regain from Rny by getting a band over bypass. Apparently, my surgeon is quite fond of BOB. I read a study (I'll try to find it for you) that said that BOB surgeries are showing results similar to the DS statistically. The ladies that I saw with BOB were quite thin and not overweight at all.
Teena A.
on 9/6/09 1:56 pm - Mesquite, TX
Thx JustLookingToo
Teena Adler

JustLookingToo
on 9/6/09 3:24 pm - AL
 Still looking for that study. I just ran across this article that lists the risks and benefits of different types of revisions. I was surprised about the complication rate they found with Distal RNY. Here is the link and a portion where they talk about BOB and the part about Distal RNY. I'll keep looking for the article I found on the BOB, as it was a much larger study...

http://bariatrictimes.com/2007/09/10/revision-procedures-for-failed-gastric-bypass/

Others recommend conversion of the failed RYGB to a distal gastric bypass. This entails disconnecting the Roux limb and reconnecting it closer to the ileocecal valve, usually 50 to 150cm proximal to the ileocecal valve. Fobi, et al., reported an average 20Kg weight loss and mean BMI decrease of 7Kg/m2 in 65 patients converted to distal RYGB.[9] However, 23 percent of patients developed protein malnutrition and almost half of these patients required revision surgery for this. Similarly, Sugerman, et al., reported 69-percent EWL at three years in 27 patients undergoing conversion to distal RYGB.10 Five of 27 had a common channel of 50cm and the remainder had a common channel of 150cm. The shorter common channel led to an “unacceptable" morbidity and mortality (all required revision, and two died of hepatic failure). The longer common channel was still associated with a 25-percent incidence of protein malnutrition and a significant number required operative revision. A recent report by Muller, et al., comparing a matched cohort (based on age, gender, and BMI) of standard RYGB (150cm Roux limb) and distal RYGB (150cm common channel) found no significant difference in weight loss or comorbidity reduction at 4 years.[11]

At our institution, we frequently offer the adjustable gastric band as a surgical option for failed weight loss after RYGB. It is a technically simpler and safer operation to perform compared to other revision procedures and offers reasonable weight loss. The adjustable band is placed around the proximal gastric pouch and above the gastrojejunostomy. The remainder of the RYGB is left in-situ. O’Brien, et al., and Kyzer, et al., originally described converting any failed bariatric procedure (including gastric bypass) to the Lap-Band system.[14,15] Both series reported good weight reduction; however, subgroup analysis for failed RYGB was not provided.

A previous report from our own institution looked specifically at the use of adjustable gastric banding as a revision procedure for failed RYGB in eight patients.[16] Mean BMI prior to revision was 44.0±4.5Kg/m2. Patients had an average of four band adjustments over one year. Mean EWL was 38.1±10.4 percent at 12 months and 44.0±36.3 percent at 24 months. Another more recent report from NYU Medical Center revealed a mean 6.3Kg/m2 BMI decrease and approximately 20.8±16.9-percent EWL at 12 months in 11 failed RYGB patients.[17] Both series had minimal complications (mostly port-related).
Key technical points in placing the adjustable band on the upper pou*****lude the use of upper endoscopy to verify that the band is placed around the gastric pouch and not the esophagus, making sure that the band is at least 1cm proximal to the gastrojejunostomy, and using the fundus and the anterior wall of the bypassed stomach to plicate (with permanent sutures) above and below the band to ensure adequate anterior fixation. Sometimes, the gastric pouch alone is large enough to be used for the fundoplication.

Teena A.
on 9/6/09 3:31 pm - Mesquite, TX
Thank you so much for looking for the article that you have spoke about.

I have seen this article you posted before.

I feel  a lil better about bob after the email I received from Lisa today.

You guys are the best.

Thank you so much.

Take care and have an absolutely fabulous day.

Teena Adler

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/09 5:03 am - San Diego, CA
On September 6, 2009 at 10:31 PM Pacific Time, Teena A. wrote:
Thank you so much for looking for the article that you have spoke about.

I have seen this article you posted before.

I feel  a lil better about bob after the email I received from Lisa today.

You guys are the best.

Thank you so much.

Take care and have an absolutely fabulous day.

Glad you received my e-mail! :)
Teena A.
on 9/7/09 5:07 am - Mesquite, TX
Thank you Lisa.

I will be emailing you back later on this evening when I have more time online.

You have been a godsend.

You have truly made my day/week and have me thinking on a whole nother level when it comes to the bob.

We also have a lot of the same habits when it comes to the food journal.

I will respond tonight.

Thank you hella much!

Teena Adler

sarahjameve
on 9/13/09 12:07 pm - Columbus, OH
I am having the BOB tomorrow morning
Sarah Jam Eve RNY March 6th 2003 BOB September 14th 2009 

Most Active