Revised from RNY to ERNY people...have you lost to goal

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/09 4:31 am - KY
I am very curious.  I have been told many times that if you have a RNY and then have a revision to have the common conduit which was 400 cm before...a regular RNY....and have a 100 cm ERNY or distal, that you just don't lose enough weight to get to goal.  I was told you have to get the Duodenal Switch to get to goal.  My question is.....when they do the lower part of the revision to revise your common channel to 100 cm, isn't that the same thing they do in a DS surgery?  And mostly, since I already have a large pouch and stoma, did any of you all have a RNY revision to just the intestinal part and lost all your weight?  I am curious.  THanks!
JRinAZ
on 9/1/09 7:43 am - Layton, UT
On September 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM Pacific Time, patken24 wrote:
I am very curious.  I have been told many times that if you have a RNY and then have a revision to have the common conduit which was 400 cm before...a regular RNY....and have a 100 cm ERNY or distal, that you just don't lose enough weight to get to goal.  I was told you have to get the Duodenal Switch to get to goal.  My question is.....when they do the lower part of the revision to revise your common channel to 100 cm, isn't that the same thing they do in a DS surgery?  And mostly, since I already have a large pouch and stoma, did any of you all have a RNY revision to just the intestinal part and lost all your weight?  I am curious.  THanks!
Hey friend!  Who've you been talking to?  Cuz there are bunches of people at goal or below it who were revised from a Proximal Rny to an Extended Rny.  ... Myth that EVERY revision loses slower.  Myth that DS's lose faster or more as a revision than ERny's.  I'd say to whoever you've been talking to, to show you the proof:)

Take our "opinions" of our own experiences and surgeries with a huge grain of salt!  ....  Everyone's surgeon was the best and everyone's choice of procedures is the best (as long as they are doing great, right?)

So, my opinion that I am  "oh so willing to share"!  LOL!  Is that if you have a Proxy Rny and it's not working for you then ask your surgeon and then ask at least 3 more.... make sure that one of those surgeon's has oodles of experience doing the DS AND/OR the ERny so you can get a good picture of what you personally could handle....and could do the best with.

If you have had zillions of previous abdominal surgeries, have specific health issues, have insurance that will NOT cover anything but a Rny then you may NOT want to mess with a DS when an ERny can give you similar results and is less risky as a revision.

If your health is fabulous and you've only had one laproscopic surgery before and your insurance will cover it then you should go full speed ahead towards a DS.

There are of course many things to consider and many people choose to take the risk, pay out of pocket, etc. and get the DS no matter what.  Many do well with that approach and some have some serious complications as a post-op.

Kudos to you for doing your homework.  Good luck with your revision journey
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/09 10:06 am - KY
Thanks, Joyce.  I am having a VERY difficult time finding all the facts and putting them together so that I may make a informed decision.  I have been told so many different things by different people and different doctors.  I am almost 58 and not in bad health but not in good shape.  I have heard short comments from three different doctors that suggested leaving the stomach in tact and doing a 100 cm and when I hear the different terms used, I do not know if they are all talking about  the same thing.   The bottom part of the Duodenal Switch...is it call a ERNY or Distal?  Are they all the same thing if you have the 100 cm common channel?  One doctor said the only bad part about leaving the pouch in tact would be the hunger issues would remain...I do not have dumping syndrome and I can eat normally.  Eating normally was a good issue with another doctor as his concern about getting 'enough' protein in.  If a ERNY and Distal and DS are the same thing (usinng a 100cm common channel) why are they all given different names...or ARE they different....this is what is confusing me as to what different docs are talking about.    Just a bit confused and wanting to make the right decision becaue I am not going in for surgery number three, ha ha.  No way, Jose. 
mew6495
on 9/1/09 10:20 am - MI
On September 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM Pacific Time, patken24 wrote:
 Hi patken,

I have lost to goal and have been maintaining for the past 3 months or so.  I even have periods where I drop below goal and have to work to put back on a few pounds!  Let me tell you that is definitely a new experience for me....  ;-)

How much weight do you have to loose?  The doctor left my pouch and stoma alone and only revised the intestinal portion to a 75 cm CC.  I read somewhere once that 50 to 125 cm CC is considered an ERNY, 125 to 225 a distal and anything above a proximal.  But I think this description would very according to doctor.  I would suggest asking the surgeons that you are considering what length they make the CC.  I also do not dump and can eat pretty much normally.

There are those who have had the ERNY who have not faired as well but these folks may have had to short of a CC for their system to handle.  Making the decision with your doctor is your best bet.

There is a woman on this site who had a wealth of knowledge about distal RNY her screen name is "loosingsal".  She could also be a good source of info for you if needed.

Good Luck.

Good luck to you.

Most Active