I am new to the revision board. .... Have a few questions

plan2behealthy
on 8/30/09 2:52 am - Long Beach, CA
I am 13 months post op for RNY.  The problem is that I have had a stricture/ulcer problem that has been going on for the past nine months.  I have been dilated 8 times.  But problem is still there.

My surgeon now says my only option is revision surgery.  Is there anyone here that has had to have revision surgery due to complications from strictures?

What was your recovery like.  My Doc says it's like ground zero..... I am not happy about this. But I can't go the rest of my life on pureed foods either. 

Linda

shele
on 8/30/09 4:24 am
I don't personally have your problem, but a good friend of mine did.  She had to have a new pouch made, and was like a newbie. She didn't loose alot of weight or anything, and seemed to do really well.  Good Luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Kathy H.
on 8/30/09 4:45 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, Linda!

First of all, welcome to the revision board. I'm sorry you're having trouble with your RNY. We all have such high hopes when we're wheeled into the OR, and it's such a drag when it doesn't work out the way we'd hoped.

I had a VBG in 1987, and was recently revised to a Duodenal Switch. I just want to make sure you're aware of this surgery, and that you do some of your *own* research to decide what surgery would be best for you to revise to. The DS has the best long-term results in terms of not only weight loss, but also co-morbidity resolution.

Below you'll find a link to a (long) top-level post I made a while ago, which goes into more detail. But the bototm line is this: if your surgeon doesn't perform RNY to DS revisions, you'll likely get NO information or inaccurate information about the switch. it's imparative that  you do your own research, and don't rely soley on your surgeon's recommendation.

I hope you find the answer to your problem, Linda... I wish you all the luck in the world, regardless of what you decide to do!

xoxo

Kathy

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4005617/Why-I-cho se-the-DS-please-research-ALL-your-options/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/09 5:13 am - AZ
On August 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM Pacific Time, Kathy H. wrote:
Hi, Linda!

First of all, welcome to the revision board. I'm sorry you're having trouble with your RNY. We all have such high hopes when we're wheeled into the OR, and it's such a drag when it doesn't work out the way we'd hoped.

I had a VBG in 1987, and was recently revised to a Duodenal Switch. I just want to make sure you're aware of this surgery, and that you do some of your *own* research to decide what surgery would be best for you to revise to. The DS has the best long-term results in terms of not only weight loss, but also co-morbidity resolution.

Below you'll find a link to a (long) top-level post I made a while ago, which goes into more detail. But the bototm line is this: if your surgeon doesn't perform RNY to DS revisions, you'll likely get NO information or inaccurate information about the switch. it's imparative that  you do your own research, and don't rely soley on your surgeon's recommendation.

I hope you find the answer to your problem, Linda... I wish you all the luck in the world, regardless of what you decide to do!

xoxo

Kathy

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4005617/Why-I-cho se-the-DS-please-research-ALL-your-options/

The OP has a BMI of 22.2.  Don't you think DS is a bit of overkill to fix a pouch problem?

Kathy H.
on 8/31/09 5:25 am - Kent, WA
EEEEEKKKK!!!

Yes, yes I do!

that's what I get for sleep-posting!

:)

Sorry about that! I was on auto pilot, and clearly should have been asleep!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Most Active