Vitamin Regimen for people who have had Gastric Bypass (Distal) or ERNY

Teena A.
on 8/29/09 8:02 am, edited 8/29/09 8:02 am - Mesquite, TX

Good afternoon all of my Gorgeous and Handsome Obesity Help Sisters and Brothers.

I hope you all are having an absolutely fabulous weekend thus far.

I just got back home from Wally World (Walmart) getting additional food for my pre op and post op phases prior to my Lap Gastric Bypass Repair and Revision to Distal (the reason for repair and revision can be found on my profile in case you are wondering) on September 2, 2009 (Wednesday).

Currently I am taking the following:

1- multi vitamin similar to Centrum

2- sublingual 500 mcg B-12

2 – calcium citrate w/D 630 mg

I do not have issues with an iron deficiency so I do not take an iron supplement at this time.

I also do not take anything additional as I feel that my multi vitamin has everything that I need at this time

I will be seeing my dietitian on August 31, 2009 Monday to see if I should be taking anything additional, but I wanted to hear what you all are taking so I can use it as a reference point.

I am already pretty knowledgeable of what kinds of foods I will need, how I will feel, what to expect, and etc. after surgery

The one thing I want to know is what you guys are doing post op for vitamins.

I want to thank you all in advance for responding to my post in an informational way and not a condescending or argumentative way.

I know everyone is different and will need different supplements due to various medical reasons related to their labs so I will take that all into consideration when determining what I will use.

Take care and thank you all once again.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

shele
on 8/29/09 12:37 pm

Hey Teena,

2 multi

2400 calcium

10000 d dry

25000 a dry

b-50

I think thats it for me

BTW! Good luck on your surgery, Hope everything goes smoothly!

Hurry back with your positive updates\posts!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Teena A.
on 8/29/09 12:40 pm - Mesquite, TX
Thx a bunch Shele.

I am so glad that I have all of this info at my finger tips so that I can compare and contrast with my dietitian on Monday.

Thanks for the well wishes on my surgery.

I will definitely be back posting when I get home.

Have an absolutely fabulous night doing what makes you happy.

Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

JRinAZ
on 8/31/09 4:02 am - Layton, UT
On August 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM Pacific Time, shele wrote:

Hey Teena,

2 multi

2400 calcium

10000 d dry

25000 a dry

b-50

I think thats it for me

BTW! Good luck on your surgery, Hope everything goes smoothly!

Hurry back with your positive updates\posts!!

Joyce:
2 multi
Biotin
2 sublingual B12
B complex
Ester C capsules
Inositol
Milk Thistle
A (dry)
D (dry 50,000)
E (dry)
A & D dry tablet
K1 and K2 (both dry)
Copper
Zinc
Mag Citrate
Calcium citrate
1 shot of Mona Vie
4 Tender Iron (carbonyl iron chews)
1 iron (heme iron polypeptide)
2 Poly-Iron capsules
and some other stuff that catches my eye when I visit the Health Stores!  LOL!

I'm a happy high maintenance ERny!!!!

Anyone ever tried Resveratrol & Pliatrol????  (supposed to be the fountain of youth and gives your face a lift without surgery!!!  .... I'm on the hunt!  LOL!)

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Deanne K.
on 8/31/09 4:43 am - Tucson, AZ
Teena-  This is what I take

Multi- BA 1 x 3 day
B-12 (1000) 1 sublingual daily
Iron-BA 29 mg (4 x day) now anemic
Vit. C 500 mg with each iron
Vit. D3 5,000 iu x 2 day (dry)
Vit. A 15,000 x 2 day (dry)
Vit. K-1  (1,000 x 3 day) (dry) only take when Dr. Prescribes
B-50 Complex daily
Calcium (1200mg) probably need more.

All of the above have been adjusted according to my labs.
Deanne
Teena A.
on 8/31/09 10:34 am, edited 8/31/09 6:21 pm - Mesquite, TX
This is what I have been told and I just wanted to compare notes.

I was told that any of the vitamins that I took had to be either chewable or liquid due to the fact that I will be revised to distal or ERNY.

Here is the list of what I am suppose to take daily per Dr. Nicholson's Dietitian.

B: Chewable Multivitamin (2 pills), Iron 29 mg (combination of Carbonyl iron and ferrous
fumarate - premenopausal women 50-100 mg a day), B12 sublingual 1000 mcg (2 pills), Acidophilus (1 pill)

S1:
Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D and Magnesium (1 pill of 500 mg)

L:

S2: Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D and Magnesium (1 pill of 500 mg)

D:

Bed: Chewable Multivitamin (1 pill),

Iron 25 - 29 mg (combination of Carbonyl iron and ferrous   
                   fumarate - premenopausal women 50-100 mg a day)

I am hella cool with the schedule.

I know that it is very important to get in my supplements.

The main issue that I have is that there is no way in hell that I can afford Bariatric Advantage and that is who my surgeons office wants me to use.

Prior to Bariatic Advantage there were lots of other products that made sure that patients got in their nutrients so I will follow their protocol as far as everything being liquid or chewable, and the correct dosages.

I will also be sure to look at labels to be sure that the amount of the nutrients are comparable to Bariatric Advantage.

I just cannot afford them and that is the bottom line.

I explained this to them and I hope they understand, but if they don't I have no other choice as I cannot make money appear when it does not exist.

Later on in December 2009 when I move into a cheaper apartment and have more cash at my disposal I will have no problem switching over to Bariatric Advantage

I just wanted to be sure to update you guys on my new RNY Distal vitamin regimen with Dr. Nick Nicholson.
Teena Adler

JRinAZ
on 8/31/09 4:31 pm - Layton, UT
Teena,
No need to go with Bariatric Advantage.  I agree.  They are pricey.  I buy most of my critical (unusual) vites from Vitalady (relatively inexpensive).  I google certain vites and order them from the least expensive sites. 

Just remember that you need "dry" form of everything.  Liquids are fine cuz it starts absorbing at the mouth.  Oils will slide on through though without even slowing down to give your body any nutrition.

Mantra:  DRY form.  And...ALL ERny's should take A,D,E & K as well as the multi vites.  Most surgeon's want you to wait until your labs indicate a deficiency.  I like preventive meds and to get ahead and keep the numbers up BEFORE there's a deficiency.  Then if the labs say I'm on the high side, I can cut back a little.

We are high maintenance girls!!!!
Joyce 

Teena A.
on 8/31/09 4:39 pm - Mesquite, TX
Joyce,

I have bookmarked your posts that I need the most and I have decided that I will go with Vitalady as well as doing my google searches.

I am going to be compliant as it is my life at stake, but I see no reason why I should have to use Bariatric Advantage as long as my labs all are normal and I take the same supplements as required.

You have been such a big help to me.

I really wished you lived close by, but since you do not I guess I will have to make due with the Internet.

LOL.

I value your advice so much since you have been there and done this already and made it to goal.

Thank you so much.

Yes, I am finding out just how high maintenance of a girl I will have to be today.

LOL.

Have an absolutely fabulous morning !!!!!

Teena Adler

JRinAZ
on 9/1/09 3:02 am - Layton, UT
On August 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM Pacific Time, Teena A. wrote:
Joyce,

I have bookmarked your posts that I need the most and I have decided that I will go with Vitalady as well as doing my google searches.

I am going to be compliant as it is my life at stake, but I see no reason why I should have to use Bariatric Advantage as long as my labs all are normal and I take the same supplements as required.

You have been such a big help to me.

I really wished you lived close by, but since you do not I guess I will have to make due with the Internet.

LOL.

I value your advice so much since you have been there and done this already and made it to goal.

Thank you so much.

Yes, I am finding out just how high maintenance of a girl I will have to be today.

LOL.

Have an absolutely fabulous morning !!!!!

Teena!!!

Counting down the HOURS now girlfriend!!!!  Woooooo Hoooooo!!!!

Can't wait to hear your good news
Joyce 

Teena A.
on 9/1/09 3:09 am - Mesquite, TX
Joyce,

That is what I call great timing. I just posted about this.

LOL.

I know have 21 hours left.

I will be sure to update you all when I get home.

Thank you for all of your support.

Teena Adler

Most Active