Does Cigna Cover Revision from Band to RNY

Nicole_2006
on 8/28/09 3:27 am - Arlington, VA
I have had the lap band since 2006, lost about 50 pounds, have since gained back 20 pounds, because I can only have very little seline in my band, because of horrble reflux.
I called the doctor today for a revision and she nurse advised that cigna does not cover revisions? Is this true???  This is very frustrating!!
GayleTx
on 8/28/09 11:03 pm - northeast, TX
Every company (your emplyer) has a different policy....not all policies are the same, they are designed in an agreement between the carrier and the insurance company.  The only way to know the definite answer to that question is to talk to your insurance company directly....don't always trust the dr. office to know everything.  And even if they say no to a revision....... the band can be removed for medical reasons in most cases.
Nicole_2006
on 8/29/09 11:05 am - Arlington, VA
Thank you for your response. I will definitely call Cigna on Monday and do my own research. Worst case, like you said I will have insurance pay to remove, and I pay out of pocket for RNY, while he is removing.
Valerieb09
on 8/30/09 5:36 am - Seacoast, NH
I had my band out last year in June for exactly the same reason/situation as yours.  I had a revision to the RNY per my surgeon's suggestion.  The key here is "medical necessity" that would be the reason you would need your band out and revised to another WLS.
I have done very well with my revision and lost 102+ lbs.  I can shop for misses sizes now and eat like a "normal" person.  I could not eat any meat, salads, veggies, etc. with my band.  I pretty much lived on soft foods and gained most of my lost weight back.
Maybe you need to seek out another surgeon who is more willing to do the paperwork for your insurance company stating "medical necessity" to get you the revision you need.  I was originally banded in June 2006.
Good Luck!
Valerie

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/09 5:57 am - AZ
On August 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM Pacific Time, Nicole_2006 wrote:
I have had the lap band since 2006, lost about 50 pounds, have since gained back 20 pounds, because I can only have very little seline in my band, because of horrble reflux.
I called the doctor today for a revision and she nurse advised that cigna does not cover revisions? Is this true???  This is very frustrating!!

Here are their guidelines assuming you currently have WLS benefits:

cigna.com/customer_care/healthcare_professional/coverage_pos itions/medical/mm_0051_coveragepositioncriteria_bariatric_su rgery.pdf

Nicole_2006
on 9/4/09 4:06 am - Arlington, VA
Thank you all. I am a little frustrated with the nurse that submits the paperwork. She has submitted to Cigna, and they have received, so I hope to have good news in a few weeks, but if not, I will not stop there, I will appeal and speak to the doctor. I have a feeling he is not aware that they are not going the extra mile to submit good documentation within his office.

Thank you all, I feel good that I will get this revision and it will be covered 100%.
Most Active