Why didn't I look at this forum 6 months ago????

GayleTx
on 8/28/09 11:25 am - northeast, TX
I've been on these boards for nearly 4 years and have never looked at this revision forum.  I wish I'd looked at it before I got my second lapband 6 months ago! I am shocked at how many 'band to bypass' posts there are! 

I'm giving my second band up next Thursday, getting a bypass - something I said I would never do.  But I've come to love living healthy and happy and I must do something to be able to keep the weight off. I haven't been able to eat normally in 2 years....and even tho I've eaten healthy I can't lose any more weight and I've even begun to gain.  I know nobody but maybe the people on this board would believe me, but there is no reason I should still weight what I weigh. 

I have hopes that the bypass will help me and keep me healthy......I've got things I wanna do that I missed out on all those fat years (decades), so I'm going under knife again.    I wish I had done this in February instead of getting another band, but too late now. 

Thanks for all the informative posts........you give me hope!!
austinglobe
on 8/28/09 12:49 pm - Austin, TX
Hi Gayle,

Best of luck to you.  I also got a lapband from Dr. B.  I am now in the process of considering a revision.  It's hard for me to accept another band when my first was useless.

I wish you all the best.

Can't Weight TooLose
on 8/28/09 10:08 pm
I feel your pain!!! I wish I knew all the stuff this site had to offer way back when. It's kind of hard to sift thru really. I am dumping my band and hoping to get the Duodenal Switch soon. I was on here for hours after I found out how to look up everything.
Hope all goes well with you!

Highest weight- 262lbs
Lap band- Aug 2006 - 254lbs.
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .
Gained up to 271 due to the band
Got DS revision April 2010!! Current 145lbs
At 5'8 my goal was 160lbs but I surpassed that with the DS!!!!!!

jeanyjane
on 8/28/09 10:33 pm - Germany
Have you seen how many RNY'ers in need of revisions write here too? Have you considered other surgeries then the RNY? The RNY has a pretty high failure rate too, and many people are not happy with the results neither, not loosing enough or struggling to keep it off after 2+ years. The stats are not  are not looking as bad as the band, but the results of the DS are much better in longterm. Please research the DS surgery before getting the RNY - it is NOT too late until you are on the operating table.
mew6495
on 8/28/09 11:21 pm - MI
 Hello Gayle,

WELCOME aboard!  For the most part this is a very good forum.  A lot of support and information.

There are so many revision options out there these days.  Each having their own share of successes and failures.  It is important to do your research and choose what BEST suites YOU and  YOUR life style.

Good luck to you on your new journey.  

~ Dana ~
on 8/30/09 3:41 am - Henderson, NV
Interesting post... I was considering looking into the band over my bypass.  I have never got to goal and have put on about 25 lbs from my lowest.  It is very frustrating.  I have a friend who had the DS and lost everything in the first year...even past me as being several years out.

~ Dana ~

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/09 11:55 am - Menomonee Falls, WI

ditto!  Daisy

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/09 11:51 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
Be sure to ask your surgeon what he is doing and why.  A RNY can be 1/2 to 3 oz pouch, different size stoma hole punches,  they can use mesh in the stoma,  they can make the bypass from 40 cm to 250cm.  These are variables I have read about on this web site over the years.  good luck to you Daisy
Kathy H.
on 8/30/09 4:38 pm - Kent, WA

Hi, Gayle.

I hope you're looking at all your options, and not just the ones your surgeon is recommending. There are procedures he or she probably doesn't perform that may give you the very best chance for success. The best long-term results are found in the Duodenal Switch, and you're right there within striking distance of some exceptional revision surgeons.

The link below will take you to a (LONG) top-level post I wrote a while back about my experience as a VBG to DS revision.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. It's a drag going through a surgery and being disappointed in the results.

xoxo

Kathy

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4005617/Why-I-cho se-the-DS-please-research-ALL-your-options/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Bergej82
on 9/7/09 9:18 am - Vadnais Heights, MN
I hope all went well with your revision...life after revision feels great! I hope treats you just as good! 
~Jodi 

Most Active