Hoping to have revision

Julie G.
on 8/28/09 10:13 am - Lebanon, TN
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this board, but not to OH.  I had RNY in August of 2004.  I went from nearly 500 pounds down to around 265-285.  I was happy at that size, but still wanted to lose more weight.  I became pregnant and gained around 30 pounds.  After pregnancy I kept on gaining and now I weigh in at 425.  I am so disappointed in myself. 

I'm hoping to have a Revision done to this surgery.  I've picked out my doctor, went to the seminar as required.  I found out that my primary insurance will not cover weight loss surgery, but my secondary (state insurance) will cover it.....providing I have a six month supervised diet.  So I see my regular doctor on 9/2 and will start it then....although i'm already trying to cut out the carbs and get back on track with eating my protein first.

I was wondering....I saw something about Revision surgery patients losing slower this time go round.  Is that right? 

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to go about losing weight for this supervised diet I have to do?  My primary doctor suggested last time that I try an appetite suppressant prior to surgery.  Anyone have experience with one?  I want to be informed before I see him again.   

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.  Thank you so much for your time.

Julie
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/29/09 6:01 pm
Revisions can lose more slowly, but the DS will give you the best shot. With your BMI it's the only surgery I'd consider.

Many folks don't do well on the supervised diet (mine was mostly liquids), but if we could diet and lose weight, we wouldn't need surgery. Just give it your best shot, that's all you can do.
Kathy H.
on 8/30/09 4:58 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, Julie!

what type of WLS are you revising to?

I don't have any experience with an appetite suppressant, but my first thought is, 'why?' Taking weight off is rarely an issue for an obese person... KEEPING it off, is. If your surgeon's goal is to take as much weight off as possible prior to surgery, then go for it. If the goal is to avoid a surgery, then I'd be seriously cautious. Read up on what he wants to put you on, consider the side effects and how long he wants you to be on them, etc.

You're right when you say that revisions are rumored to lose more slowly than first-timer WLS folks. I attend a DS support group meeting here in Seattle that Dr Rabkin periodically attends. Very shortly after my VBG (old stomach stapling) to DS revision, I asked him if he found that to be true. His response made me SO HAPPY I'd chosen the DS. He said that he hadn't found the losses to occur more slowly in a revision than in a newbie.

And I am happy to report that today I stepped on the scale and I'm at exactly 50% of my excess weight loss!!! Whooo-HOOOO! "They" say that 50% of excess weight should be gone at about 6 months post-op.

I'm about four months out from my surgery, so I'm about a month or two ahead of schedule.

Below is a link to a long first-level post I made a few weeks back on why I chose the DS, etc.

I wish you all the luck in your surgery, Julie.

xoxox

Kathy

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4005617/Why-I-cho se-the-DS-please-research-ALL-your-options/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/09 5:12 am - AZ
On August 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM Pacific Time, JDGray1977 wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this board, but not to OH.  I had RNY in August of 2004.  I went from nearly 500 pounds down to around 265-285.  I was happy at that size, but still wanted to lose more weight.  I became pregnant and gained around 30 pounds.  After pregnancy I kept on gaining and now I weigh in at 425.  I am so disappointed in myself. 

I'm hoping to have a Revision done to this surgery.  I've picked out my doctor, went to the seminar as required.  I found out that my primary insurance will not cover weight loss surgery, but my secondary (state insurance) will cover it.....providing I have a six month supervised diet.  So I see my regular doctor on 9/2 and will start it then....although i'm already trying to cut out the carbs and get back on track with eating my protein first.

I was wondering....I saw something about Revision surgery patients losing slower this time go round.  Is that right? 

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to go about losing weight for this supervised diet I have to do?  My primary doctor suggested last time that I try an appetite suppressant prior to surgery.  Anyone have experience with one?  I want to be informed before I see him again.   

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.  Thank you so much for your time.

Julie

What surgery type are you considering?

With your history and your BMI I agree with the others, DS.  ERNY probably isn't going to do it for you.  Your best shot is DS and you can't go to just any surgeon for that.  You need a seriously experienced DS/Revision surgeon.

For the diet... the easiest one and keeping it simple is this, if it has ANY flour or sugar in it, don't eat it.  Don't cut out all carbs, just white carbs.

smileyjamie72
on 8/31/09 5:19 am - Palmer, AK
Julie,
You should check out my profile
Under My Story (on the bottom of that page) you will read that my doc put me on Phentermine.  Granted, I have not lost a HUGE amount of weight, but, it has definately helped out with that dreaded "carb monster" and given me more energy.

I am going the RNY to DS route.  But, I am still pre-op.

Take Care
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active