Lap Band Revision ANYONE

Angela Stoot
on 8/27/09 7:19 am - Crosby, TX

Am interested in anyone who has had a revision with Lap Band without having RNY to share their experiences with me. I've been having issues with my band and lately it just has not been working for me. In the beginning I lost weight, now I have gained weight and my port area is in pain, nothing serious, but I do fill the discomfort. Some days I only eat one meal a day because I have no appetite to eat. I do have a doctor's appointment coming up and at this point I don't if my band has slipped or if I just need a fill, we shall see. But anyone who can relate, I would love to know your story or just your experiences.
BTW, I say without the RNY because from day one, my doctor told me RNY was not an option because of the lining in my stomach.
Thanks, Angela

Angela Stoot         Banded 08/01/05  = Revision to Sleeve 09/18/2014

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 7:23 am - AZ
On August 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM Pacific Time, Angela Citizen wrote:

Am interested in anyone who has had a revision with Lap Band without having RNY to share their experiences with me. I've been having issues with my band and lately it just has not been working for me. In the beginning I lost weight, now I have gained weight and my port area is in pain, nothing serious, but I do fill the discomfort. Some days I only eat one meal a day because I have no appetite to eat. I do have a doctor's appointment coming up and at this point I don't if my band has slipped or if I just need a fill, we shall see. But anyone who can relate, I would love to know your story or just your experiences.
BTW, I say without the RNY because from day one, my doctor told me RNY was not an option because of the lining in my stomach.
Thanks, Angela

I had a band and RNY just isn't for me.  I really didn't think I needed the malabsorption so I did revise but to a sleeve.

Bands are hard.  Restriction is the question of the day everyday.  Sometimes you have it and sometimes you don't.

I just don't care for bands.

Angela Stoot
on 8/27/09 11:30 pm - Crosby, TX
You're so right, restriction is the problem daily. Even after a fill, it seems like I'm on the battle field of ok I'm full, but 1 minute later, the hunger pains are back. I've been this way for 2 1/2 years now and something has to be done. I will defiantly ask my doctor about the sleeve.

emjayel56
on 8/27/09 11:31 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
HI Angela,
I share your frustration with the band.  I have 2 lap bands for 9 years.  Finally giving it up and revising to an RNY on Monday.  Bands are hard to work with.  They can work but there are so many problems with them and they older they get the more problems they give.  Good luck
sassyscorpio
on 8/27/09 1:18 pm
Is the sleeve an option for you? I am so glad to be rid of that band and I absolutely love the sleeve!
emjayel56
on 8/27/09 9:38 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
They believe that the RNY would be more effective for me since I had two lapbands and the "restriction alone" has not worked so they feel a sleeve, which works on the same premise will not likely work.  i was looking at the sleeve at first but i will go along with what the drs say.  Have a good day.
Angela Stoot
on 8/27/09 11:26 pm - Crosby, TX
Thanks so much for sharing. I was begining to fill like such a failure, but after looking into all the revisions here, I see I'm not alone with this band battle.

thanks,
Angela

Ms Shell
on 8/28/09 4:39 am - Hawthorne, CA
Hello Angela,

I am not a revision but there are quite a few Band to Sleeve revisions, so if you're inclined you should post on the VSG forum cause they are there and some with GREAT success, some with 50lb success etc etc.

Because of your lining are they suggesting no stomach altering?  Much success to you.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Angela Stoot
on 8/28/09 4:48 am - Crosby, TX
Thanks so much for the direction; I will defiantly go to the form.
But, yes, back in 04' when I started this journey, my Dr. told me no stomach altering because he was afraid of what the future may bring if any spotting would occur in my stomach that could be cancerous.

Angela

Ms Shell
on 8/28/09 5:10 am - Hawthorne, CA
Very interesting Angela and I will keep you and your stomach covered in prayer.  One thing in my research about the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is that in many cases a Full or Partial Gastrectomy has been done over the decades for people with stomach cancer and ulcers.  It is also believed that having a VSG greatly reduces (can't site the source) your chances of developing cancer or ulcers because the area of the stomach that is removed is usually where cancer and ulcers develop.

Also the LAST thing that helped me ultimately decide getting a VSG would be ok cause my main concern was "what if something were to happen, like cancer or ulcers" what would I do then.  So I researched FULL gastrectomies, which is the removing of all your stomach and your intestine is attached to your esophagus. 

Here is the story about a family who voluntarily had their stomachs removed to prevent their genetic prone to cancer.  http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/541890/family_has_stomac hs_removed_to_prevent_cancer/index.html

This showed me that there is life AFTER having my stomach removed so it gave me a sense of peace with my WLS decision to have part of my stomach removed.

Here is another link I saved back then
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gastroenterology/Diet-after-tot al-gastrectomy/show/235744

Much success to you.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active