Anyone have VSG to RNY revision?

Father Don
on 8/27/09 1:37 pm - Charleston, SC
This surgeon (who's one I already trusted with my life when my risk of death was 25% goin into surgery) doesn't do DS  he says RNY is the way to go to lose this weight and maintain it.  I trust him, so what he says is what I'm going to do.  The docs out there are trying to get me better.  I'm not into an arguement about DS vs RNY....I know the benefits and detriments to both.  I will defer to the surgeon who got me to this point and listen to him.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

JRinAZ
on 8/28/09 5:46 am - Layton, UT
On August 27, 2009 at 8:37 PM Pacific Time, DonBab wrote:
This surgeon (who's one I already trusted with my life when my risk of death was 25% goin into surgery) doesn't do DS  he says RNY is the way to go to lose this weight and maintain it.  I trust him, so what he says is what I'm going to do.  The docs out there are trying to get me better.  I'm not into an arguement about DS vs RNY....I know the benefits and detriments to both.  I will defer to the surgeon who got me to this point and listen to him.
Gottcha!  Good for you!

Rny's work for thousands.  It's working for me:)

Keep us posted on your journey, K?!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/1/09 4:02 am
You have the first half of the DS. It would be idiotic to go backwards and be revised to the RNY.

This surgeon is doing you a terrible disservice by trying to sell you what he does, rather than what would be best for you.

Surgeons are not gods. Do yourself a favor and do some research, and do what would be best for you body.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/1/09 11:31 am - Burlington County, NJ
I don't mean to sound flip, but you need a different surgeon, one who DOES ALL the procedures. It would be profoundly foolish IMNSHO to "defer" to a surgeon who doesn't really offer ALL the options.

My risk of death was  a LOT higher than 25% when I went into surgery.

You'll need a lot of protein with the RNY too. I really think you're being sold a bill of goods on this subject.

Why on earth would you have additional surgery on your scarred stomach, for starters? That right there is reason enough to  NOT have an RNY. Go talk to Maureen and Dina on the DS board who had their gastric sleeves redone and the complications they've experienced from having their surgically impaired stomachs messed with.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 8/28/09 11:29 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I know of one person who had an RNY from a VSG.  His name is Felix and I think he had his revision last year.  I'll see if I can find his profile for you.

Most VSGers tend to go for the Full DS... as they already have the first part (sleeve) and many did not want a pouch in the first place.  But both are an easy revision. :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Father Don
on 8/29/09 1:39 am - Charleston, SC
Now I'm not sure it's going to happen.  Don't know if insurance company will cover since my BMI is only 32. 

That'll be up to the doc if he wants to fight or not.  I'm not fighting this time - last time was enough for me (in terms of the emotional rollercoaster called insurance)

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

~~Sami~~ *.
on 9/1/09 7:20 am - Jacksonville, FL
Maybe they'd consider it a two-part RNY? Worth a try.

I didn't think my insurance would pay for my Band to VSG.  So, I was totally shocked when they approved it in a few days.  Give it a try... or have your doc submit at least.  Can't hurt.

I PMed Felix... but I don't know if he'll come out of hiding or not.  His profile was Felix P and he was from LA if that helps. :)

Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

JanelG
on 8/29/09 9:53 pm - Canada
I am going for VSG to DS revision in October, I have low BMI also, so I have to pay out of pocket.  Good luck with your insurance company...I doubt they will cover it with BMI of 32, but it's worth a try!!

~~Sami~~ *.
on 8/31/09 7:06 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Janel:

Is Dr. Lut....(can't spell his name) doing your DS??

JanelG
on 8/31/09 10:49 pm - Canada
yes, he is.  Because I already have the VSG, and he is just adding the DS part, the total is $14k, but to re-do the whole sleeve, as well as the DS, is $26k.

Most Active