lapband to RNY

nikki_mcdaniel
on 8/25/09 11:41 pm - gainesville, GA
Iv'e had the lap band for over 4 years now and it is just not working for me in so many ways and I was just wondering who on here has went from lap-band to RNY and how was the recovery afterwards and did the surgeon do the procedure all at once or did you have to take the band out then have surgery?? and input would be great!
Myrna A.
on 8/26/09 2:30 am - Ferris, TX
Hi Nikki,
I had a lap band in2006 which caused many problems and just didn't work for me either, so on August 5th I had my band removed and revision to RNY. i am exactly 3 wks post-op today and am recovering well. Everything was done at the same time, as well as a hernia repair and adhesion removal.  I was in the hospital only overnight, and my insurance covered the revision. Let me know if I can be of any further help.
Myrna
nikki_mcdaniel
on 8/26/09 2:31 am - gainesville, GA
did you have to go through anymore pre-op testing like you did with the band?
emjayel56
on 8/26/09 3:01 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi I have had 2 lapbands over past 9 years and for various reasons not working; I am scheduled this monday Aug 31 for a revision to RNY.  I had to do an entire workup as if i have never had bariatric surgery and my insurance has approved the procedure.  Good luck to you
wings
on 8/26/09 3:36 am - Fort Myers Beach , FL
Hi Nikki
I had lap band 4-years ago and did well the first year and a half lost 120 then started having lots of problems.  Ended up havng it emptied then restarted and then emptied again.  I have gained all my wt and co-morbidities back.  I am going to have revsion from lap band to DS with Dr. Husted.  I looked into the lap to RNY but I don't want to ever gain my wt back.  Have you looked into the DS?  I do know people that have done well with RNY and with ERNY.  Dr. Husted is taking my band out and doing the DS at the same time.  Recovery is individual.  I wish you all the best in your WLS endevors. 
Wings
jeanyjane
on 8/26/09 7:16 am - Germany
There are more revision options from the band then just the RNY, have you looked into the sleeve and the DS? If not, do yourself the favor and research. There are soooo many people here who have not lost enough weight or have regained much with the RNY.. the RNY fails so often and while a lapband can be revised pretty easy, the RNY can NOT.

Depending how much you have to loose, the sleeve (restriction only through smaller, but fully functioning stomach) or the DS (sleeve plus lasting malabsorbation) may be much better options then the RNY.
JRinAZ
on 8/26/09 9:11 am - Layton, UT
On August 26, 2009 at 2:16 PM Pacific Time, jeanyjane wrote:
There are more revision options from the band then just the RNY, have you looked into the sleeve and the DS? If not, do yourself the favor and research. There are soooo many people here who have not lost enough weight or have regained much with the RNY.. the RNY fails so often and while a lapband can be revised pretty easy, the RNY can NOT.

Depending how much you have to loose, the sleeve (restriction only through smaller, but fully functioning stomach) or the DS (sleeve plus lasting malabsorbation) may be much better options then the RNY.
Hmmmm, my understanding is that the Rny can be reversed and undone but the Sleeve is permanent?  The switch part can be undone though right?  So, the Rny can be undone and revised to a DS but the DS does not have a revision option.  So, I probably read your post wrong cuz you didn't really mean that an RNY can not be revised .....just that it's not as easy of a surgery as a lapband revision would be, right?

Lapbands can do anything as long as they aren't loaded with scar tissue.

So are we both saying the same thing?  LOL! 

Just a point of clarification for myself?!  ...

the bottom line is the same .....RESEARCH your options:)
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

jeanyjane
on 8/27/09 11:39 pm - Germany
 I wanted to say that the lapband can easily converted into another procedure, while the RNY cannot be revised easily. It can be revised to all procedures, but it is so much more difficult and risky to do the RNY to DS revision then the band to DS revision, as example.

The stomach part of the sleeve and the DS is irreversible, true, but since the stomach streches over time, I have never seen anyone wanting to get the stomach part revised and getting the larger stomach back (just the opposite - it`s possible to make a stomach which has stretched too much smaller again, that is called re-sleeving).
Most Active