large stoma

linda5l
on 8/26/09 5:38 am - Huntley, IL
Has anyone had a problem with a large stoma.  I am hungry after 2 hours and i mean starving.  No matter what I do i gain weight
JROLFSON
on 8/26/09 6:13 am - St. George, UT
Hi Linda:

I believe a very large portion of us on this site have enlarged stomas...I know I do and it is frustrating...I'm hoping they will come out with a Revision that can repair that and one that truly solidly works...

Janie
daisymom
on 8/26/09 7:34 am - Belmont, NC
Linda,
My stoma is enlarged too. I let it get out of hand, and I have gained all my weight back. (I had the RNY in 2003). I'm currently seeking revision surgery. You can have your surgeon do an endoscopy on you to see for sure if it's stretched.
(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 7:50 am, edited 8/27/09 7:51 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
I have a large stoma (25mm).  I am one of the Restore trial failures.  I gained all my weight back and 35 more lbs.  Try eating protein and as many veggies as you care to eat.  Low carbs stop the ravenous appetite.  I eat many meals a day.  I am relosing quickly.  I am not sure what I will do if I ever get to normal BMI because when I eat carbs I am starving hungry.  I haven't seen normal BMI since I was 3 months old so there is actually nothing to worry about.  good luck Daisy
nannetteb
on 8/27/09 11:26 am - Fort Worth, TX
No such thing as ReStore failure, of the 32 or so participants here in Texas, only 1 person lost more than 5 lbs. My stoma was 24mm. It was a flop completely!  So don't beat yourself up. They could only get 2 cinches in on me, and like I said, I know exactly when they ripped apart.  I started at 484, lost down to 240, but over the last 4 yrs...I'd gain about 40 lbs.  I'm on the right track now...and hopefully will get to goal with my revision and repair.  I'm not sure what my stoma is now, I'll get my operative report on Tuesday.

Good luck, and be blessed.
nannetteb
on 8/27/09 8:39 am - Fort Worth, TX
Linda,

I too had a dilated stoma. I knew something was wrong about 4 yrs ago, because I'd eat, and get full very quick, but 2 hours later I was hungry.  I participated in a study where one part of the group had their stoma cinched in a couple of places and the rest of the group was a sham.  I was part of the sham group, in the end I was offered the endocinch procedure, of course it was all free with compensation. The coordinator was very frank with me...of the participants that had it initially, only 1 had lost more than 5 lbs in a 6 month period.  I had it done and I can tell you exactly when my cinch pulled through. This was after eating broth. 

So time moves on, I checked with several surgeons and finally went back to my original surgeon, who did and EDG. I had a Gastro gastric fistula / jejunal divetuculum. Anywhoo...I was like, what that heck is that....it's a pouch that forms in the small intestines  where the wall may be weak and food empties quickly from the pouch because the stoma is dilated but it feeds into this secondary pouchy thingy.  Okay...August 19th I had that repaired and stoma/pouch revised. I walked the halls 2 hours after recovery room stay, Went home on August 21st. Practically no pain.

At my consult on June 22, I weighed 281, when I went in to do my pre-op at the hospital, on August 14, I weighed 292.  Other than it being 2 different scales, I have no idea how I gained 11 lbs. I had no last meal syndrome but I'd been out of town the entire week and got off the plane and drove straight to the hospital for my pre-op. I'm always heavier when I get off a plane..plus I'd drank tons of liquids because I'm a hard stick.  So much for that, it still took 6 tries just to draw blood.

All this is to say August 14th I weighed 292, today I weigh 268. that's a loss of 24 lbs in 8 days since surgery.  WOW, this is actually the first time I figured that out...

TWENTY FOUR LBS IN 8 DAYS.

So consult with your surgeon, there is a fix.

Be blessed,

Nannette
jonathan R.
on 9/1/09 12:33 pm - east meadow, ny
 The best option is the ROSe procedure done endoscopically to tighten your stoma.  It is the only endoscopic revision procedure which works.  The other option is putting a lapband over gastric bypass. My surgeon Dr. Shawn Garber performs these procedures in NY.
Most Active