Rose Procedure

Libby S.
on 8/24/09 8:15 am - Mobile, AL
Hello,

I had RNY in 2002 and have gained 40 pounds. I have contacted Dr. Garber's office in New York after seeing his name on here but I have been unable to find enough new information in the prior posts about the outcome of this procedure.

Will anyone please post about your experience with the ROSE procedure?

Also, Dr. Garber said that there is a more than 50% chance of staple line interruption with this procedure (my RNY was open, not laproscopic, so my stomach was not divided, only stapled).  Does anyone have any comments or  information to add about this?

Also, will someone please comment about the success of the band revision as opposed to the ROSE procedure.

Thank you !

Libby
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/09 8:46 am - AZ
On August 24, 2009 at 3:15 PM Pacific Time, Libby S. wrote:
Hello,

I had RNY in 2002 and have gained 40 pounds. I have contacted Dr. Garber's office in New York after seeing his name on here but I have been unable to find enough new information in the prior posts about the outcome of this procedure.

Will anyone please post about your experience with the ROSE procedure?

Also, Dr. Garber said that there is a more than 50% chance of staple line interruption with this procedure (my RNY was open, not laproscopic, so my stomach was not divided, only stapled).  Does anyone have any comments or  information to add about this?

Also, will someone please comment about the success of the band revision as opposed to the ROSE procedure.

Thank you !

Libby

The only person I've seen that had anything positive to say about the ROSE procedure is the person who pushes it and Dr. Garber non stop.  Coach Roz.  Nobody else really has anything positive to say about it.

Band after bypass is an option but the weight loss is very slow.  It will come off but it's very slow weight loss for someone who previously had bypass.

CoachRoz
on 8/25/09 4:06 am

Hello Libby   You are welcome to come to the ROSE Support Group meeting and ask other people about their personal experiences with this particular revision procedure.  Why they choose it?  How have they made it work for them?
  Day:  Wednesdays
Time:  8 pm ET / 7 pm CT / 5 pm PT
Call:  218-486-1600; PIN #726276   Hope to see you there.  

Or if you want more patient information and a chance to talk to another ROSE patient please email or call me: 800.535-5732 or [email protected] (put ROSE in the subject line). [This is not a promotion or sales pitch for ROSE.  It's my way of helping]
Coach Roz Harris,
Beat Weight Regain w. ROSE Member Group Leader

Libby S.
on 8/26/09 9:51 am - Mobile, AL
 Hi Roz,

I would love to be put in touch with some others that have had the ROSE procedure.  I would like to have joined in on the call but was not able to do so at that time.  I will call you - or please feel free to give my email to any  ROSE patients!

Thank you,

Libby

janbdiver
on 8/25/09 4:46 am
Hi, Libby. 

I had the ROSE procedure about 5 months ago.  I am 7 years post by pass and had regained 25 to 30 pounds, depending on the day!!!  Anyway, when I had the ROSE, I did not know what to expect.  I went to see DR. Tom Lavin in Covington, LA as a follow-up due to my regain.  He suggested the ROSE.  I have lost 16 pounds...and am much happier for it.  To some, 16 pounds might not seem like a lot, but, to me, at 51 years old...my knees think 16 pounds makes them feel 10 years younger! 

The first weight came off easily...10 pounds in 4 weeks.... No doubt I feel fuller faster!!!  But it is not the same with by pass where the weight just falls off.  Any one can do what I call "eating through" your surgery.  I have recommitted my self to trying to make better choices and eating right. I feel great and would do it again in a heart beat.  Do it , or something, now while it is only 40 pounds.

For me, band over bypass was not an option;  I was fearful of that.  Everyone needs to make their own decision based on good information and their comfort level.  I would never discourage some one else from having a band over a by-pass because of MY fear.  The best thing is to find a good doctor with experience and ask if you can contact their patients as a resource.

I have had a few other patients with Dr. Lavin /Dr. Thomas call me cause they wanted to know how I felt.  I have spoken to one girl that lost 12 pounds since January and another girl that has lost 18 pounds since June.  Funny...we all think ...only 16 pounds that's awful....before bypass I would have given anything to lose 16 pounds.

I hope this helps, Libby.  I like that you are looking for information; that is healthy. The best is still to come!!!

My best,
janbdiver
Libby S.
on 8/26/09 9:39 am - Mobile, AL
 Thank you for your response.  I live in Alabama so Covington, LA  would certainly be closer than New York for me, but since the ROSE procedure is so new, do you have any idea how many of them Dr. Lavin or Dr. Thomas has performed?

Dr. Garber mentioned that there was a greater than 50% chance of staple line interruption for me, so I am concerned about that.  It sounds like it would leak if the staple line were disrupted.

I am having an upper GI done on Monday.

Thanks,

Libby
Libby S.
on 9/7/09 2:46 am - Mobile, AL
Dr. Garber clarified for me that the ROSE doesn't have a greater than 50% chance of disrupting the staple line but rather that my weight gain could be the result of a staple line disruption.

The upper GI revealed that my pouch opening is 17mm.  There is no staple line disruption but the pouch is emptying very quickly,   What should the size of my pouch opening be?

Tonya Graham
on 8/25/09 7:40 am
Hello

I had the rose on June 30th 2009 and have had great success. I am down 32lbs. I do exercise daily and keep my eat my protien just like my or orginal RNY. The weight is not coming off as fast as the orginial surgery, however i will take losing 7lbs a month. If you have any questions about the ROSE, I AM HAPPY TO ANSWER THEM.
Tonya Graham        
Libby S.
on 8/26/09 9:48 am - Mobile, AL
 Hi Tonya,

Thirty two pounds is great.  Do you mind if I ask how much you had gained?

When I had my bypass, I lost 110 pounds (down from 280 to 170) but that was still considered obese (I was darn happy to be obese at that weight!)  Anyway, my "recommended" weight is around 150.  I am now 210 and have gained 40 pounds above the 170 that my body was comfortable with.

So - My question really is this:  When the doctors say you may lose 50% of your "excess" weight, are they talking about 50% of the 40 pounds I have gained (just 20 pounds) or possibly 50% of the weight that I would need to lose to be considered at a normal/recommended weight of 150 (ie- half of 60 pounds) ? (Did that make sense??)

I am thinking that people who have revisional procedures don't get down below their first bypass weight.  Am I wrong on this?

Thank you for you input.

Libby
JRinAZ
on 8/26/09 12:25 pm - Layton, UT
On August 26, 2009 at 4:48 PM Pacific Time, Libby S. wrote:
 Hi Tonya,

Thirty two pounds is great.  Do you mind if I ask how much you had gained?

When I had my bypass, I lost 110 pounds (down from 280 to 170) but that was still considered obese (I was darn happy to be obese at that weight!)  Anyway, my "recommended" weight is around 150.  I am now 210 and have gained 40 pounds above the 170 that my body was comfortable with.

So - My question really is this:  When the doctors say you may lose 50% of your "excess" weight, are they talking about 50% of the 40 pounds I have gained (just 20 pounds) or possibly 50% of the weight that I would need to lose to be considered at a normal/recommended weight of 150 (ie- half of 60 pounds) ? (Did that make sense??)

I am thinking that people who have revisional procedures don't get down below their first bypass weight.  Am I wrong on this?

Thank you for you input.

Libby
Hiya Libby!
I know this wasn't to me but you left the remark kind of "open" regarding people who have had revisional procedures not getting down below  their 1st bypass low.

Yup!  Lots do.  I sailed past my 132 goal weight....which is the lowest i got with my orginal bypass (was there about 5 minutes!  LOL!)

I got down to 100 'ish' and now fluctuate between 112-115. 

You're a lightweight.  I'd say you have a VERY optimistic scenario ahead of you; especially if you go with an ERny or a DS!!!

Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active