Anyone have to pay out of pocket?

jennifermccoy06
on 8/23/09 11:35 am - ROCKVILLE, MD
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been to the oh website. A little background on my situation- I had open RNY in 2003 at the age of 18. I was 480lbs. It took me 2 years to get down to 280. In 2005 I moved to the south to live with my husband's (who I met on the teen support site here) family and gained back 80 lbs over the next year- with all that southern cooking I was not used to. So, I've been steady now at 360 since 2007. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago to talk about a revision. She set up the nutritionist appointment (for next Thursday) and put in a refferal for me to see the Kaiser surgeon, but what do you know- today I get a letter in the mail from Kaiser Permanente stating that they HAVE to deny my request for revision surgery BEFORE I even talk to anybody. So, without even giving me a chance, I have to pay for it out of pocket- which means home equity loan. I am just curious what types of revisions you guys have had over RNY and if you had to pay yourself- about how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance, it's great to have somewhere to talk to others in my situation about this, I feel very alone- my husband lost 170 lbs and eats like a PIG but has kept off his weight since he had it in 2004. It's hard seeing him not try AT ALL and maintain while I work my butt off just to stay at this weight.
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/09 9:02 am - AZ
On August 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM Pacific Time, jennifermccoy06 wrote:
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been to the oh website. A little background on my situation- I had open RNY in 2003 at the age of 18. I was 480lbs. It took me 2 years to get down to 280. In 2005 I moved to the south to live with my husband's (who I met on the teen support site here) family and gained back 80 lbs over the next year- with all that southern cooking I was not used to. So, I've been steady now at 360 since 2007. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago to talk about a revision. She set up the nutritionist appointment (for next Thursday) and put in a refferal for me to see the Kaiser surgeon, but what do you know- today I get a letter in the mail from Kaiser Permanente stating that they HAVE to deny my request for revision surgery BEFORE I even talk to anybody. So, without even giving me a chance, I have to pay for it out of pocket- which means home equity loan. I am just curious what types of revisions you guys have had over RNY and if you had to pay yourself- about how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance, it's great to have somewhere to talk to others in my situation about this, I feel very alone- my husband lost 170 lbs and eats like a PIG but has kept off his weight since he had it in 2004. It's hard seeing him not try AT ALL and maintain while I work my butt off just to stay at this weight.

I would really encourage you to consider Mexico.  Research is free, surgery for self pay in the US is about double.

You can possibly revise from RNY to DS but that's not a promise.  You can get a band over your bypassed pouch but I wouldn't suggest it.  I think you have too much to lose for a band to be effective.

You can do Extended RNY.

Does anyone know if Dr. Ungson does RNY to DS or just straight DS?

Valerie G.
on 8/24/09 9:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Dr. Ungson is top quality in Mexico and can revise you to a DS for under $15k out of pocket including travel.  It would be best to have the stomach capacity of the DS if you were to consider the malabsorption of the ERNY. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/09 10:24 pm - Lancaster, OH
I'm not a revision, but I did go to Mexico for my DS with Dr. Ungson.  I do know that he does RNY to DS revisions, though.  Not sure about the price.  My surgery was $12,000 2 years ago.  That included my hospital stay (a private hospital, a private room - VERY clean.  Housekeeping was in twice a day.  The place didn't even smell like a hospital), he and his team performing the surgery, the anesthesiologist, and a private nurse to check up on me every day and give me my heparin shots, even after I left the hospital to stay for several additional days at a local hotel.  The hotel (Colonial) was also quite nice, and $85.00 per night.  If you're going to be paying out of pocket, I would recommend inquiring with Dr. Ungson.
Best wishes in your endeavor....

PS: The DS will allow you to, in time, eat pretty normally.  I'm nearly two years out, and trying to regain a bit.  I lost a little too much, and am sitting at the low end of "normal" (BMI of 20 point something).  Everyone's experience with the DS is slightly different, but, for me, my appetite completely went away right after surgery.  I've worked hard to get it back.  Now, I do eat at least 3 meals per day and snack on protein.  My stomach capacity has increased a bit in the last year, and if you didn't know me and didn't know I'd had the DS, to watch me eat, you might not guess that I'd had surgery.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions about anything I've said.
JanelG
on 8/29/09 9:59 pm - Canada
Hi there,

I am having my VSG to DS revision in October, self-pay.  I looked into Mexico and Brazil, and the quotes I got was $16k for Dr.Ungson laparoscopic, and $13k for laparoscopic DS Dr. Marchesini in Brazil.  I have decided to go with Dr. Lutrykowski in Michigan...because I already have the VSG, he is just adding on the DS part for $14k.
Hope that helps!!

Most Active