from band to bypass

Karen H.
on 8/21/09 1:30 pm - Celina, OH
I am currently tossing around the idea of asking the doctor to remove my band and do the bypass instead. I have been stuck at this weight for 8 months so far. Just about as long as I've had the band. It's like it really didn't do anything except make me loose inches. Which is great, but I'm not understanding why my weight is stuck here. Also, my port has seemed to move since having it put in. It's now right next to my ribs, occationally causing pain.

I went from a 22 to a 12. 225 lbs down to 185.  I'm so increadably happy, but I'm not understanding why I've gotton 3 fills since my surgery and nothing is changing here. I'm so confused on all of it. I'm wondering why I went through all the pain of having the surgery for it to seem not to be working.

Has anyone else had this problem with their port?

Also, has anyone had any success with this revision from band to bypass?

Thanks and God Bless,
Karen

jenstime
on 8/22/09 3:39 am - OR
Well I have issues with my band bothering me.  It tends to be painful when I do situps or some good stretches.  It does go away after a bit and the Doctor says that it should be ok. I have been stuck at the same weight for 2 mos. now, but some of my issues are still eating issues which I am trying to get back on track. 
I am not sure (unless you are self pay) if you can just ask to have your WLS changed without medical reason.  Have you spoke with your Doctor to see why they think you've been stuck?  What do they say about all of this?  I hope you can find some answers soon!!  Best of luck!
Jen
Karen H.
on 8/22/09 4:00 pm - Celina, OH
My port is causing a lot of pain. I'm going to the doctor Wednesday for it. I'll talk to him about my options then.
Thanks and God Bless,
Karen

emjayel56
on 8/23/09 9:20 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi all,
Well i can relate to your issues with the band.  I did initially lose almost 100 lbs with my first band 9 years ago.  It slipped though and was replaced with a new band in February of this year. After losing the 30 lbs i gained when the 1st band failed, I too maintained weight, up and down 2 lbs with still a good 75 lbs to go.  My band however is causing the esophagus to dilate and some other issues.  I am scheduled in one week to have a revision from the band to bypass.  My insurance is covering the cost. Good luck to you.
marcie K.
on 8/23/09 12:50 pm - Sahuarita, AZ

I think I'm missing something:  a change in size from 22 to 12 and a 40lb weight loss in 8 months is right on track.  It looks like the surgery is working to me.  Most people need 3-4 fills for the band to start working so if you are not feeling restriction maybe you need more fills but it seems to be working to me. 

I'm not sure what the problem with the port is mine flips so sometimes is not accesable and that causes some pain but it would be a simple surgery to fix. 

I'm in the boat of possibly having a revision as my body seems to be rejecting the band but my surgeon feels that a band to bypass is too risky due to the scar tissue the bad forms and would only recommend a vsg; but I know other surgeons will do this surgery just make sure you have someone who has experience with this.

Most Active