Rny reversal due to malnutrition.

PAMELA KELLEY
on 8/22/09 5:08 am - Wetumpka, AL
I am 7 yrs postop. Maintained and did great for 5 yrs then after gallbladder and emergency bile  duct surgery I got gastroparasis. Over period of 2 yrs I have had several dilations to no avail.  In last 6 months have hypoalbunememia, hypokelemia,anemia and  vitamin malabsorbation.
I have maintained vitamins and minerals through protein drinks, liquid and soft foods but have reached critical counts in blood labs and chem profile. I believe I am am no longer absorbing majority of my intake. My weight dropped from healthy 128 to 95 lbs. My platelets count is so high and anemia so low that they have scheduled me an appointment at the cancer center for next week. I am to have a dilation and stent done next week in hopes of being able to eat and absorb more food. If dilation fails my doctor indicated a reversal of my distal rny will be necessary. Has anyone had this procedure, what is done and what are complications and results? I realize due to malnutrition I am literally starving to death and am willing to do whatever is necessary to get my health back. I can not find much information on this type of reversal. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.
pepsi98
on 8/22/09 9:03 am - Norwich, CT
On August 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM Pacific Time, PAMELA K. wrote:
I am 7 yrs postop. Maintained and did great for 5 yrs then after gallbladder and emergency bile  duct surgery I got gastroparasis. Over period of 2 yrs I have had several dilations to no avail.  In last 6 months have hypoalbunememia, hypokelemia,anemia and  vitamin malabsorbation.
I have maintained vitamins and minerals through protein drinks, liquid and soft foods but have reached critical counts in blood labs and chem profile. I believe I am am no longer absorbing majority of my intake. My weight dropped from healthy 128 to 95 lbs. My platelets count is so high and anemia so low that they have scheduled me an appointment at the cancer center for next week. I am to have a dilation and stent done next week in hopes of being able to eat and absorb more food. If dilation fails my doctor indicated a reversal of my distal rny will be necessary. Has anyone had this procedure, what is done and what are complications and results? I realize due to malnutrition I am literally starving to death and am willing to do whatever is necessary to get my health back. I can not find much information on this type of reversal. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.
You might want to post this on the Complications Forum message board.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

mew6495
on 8/23/09 5:37 am - MI
On August 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM Pacific Time, PAMELA K. wrote:
 Hi Pamela,

Sorry I don't have much information to send your way.  Just wanted to say that I was sorry to hear of your situation and that I hope all turns out well.

I briefly recall a post on the WLS Surgery Regrets forum that dealt with WLS reversal.  Perhaps if you cruise through there you may come across it or post a topic and see if you get any replies.

Good Luck.  Please let us know how you make out.  I will send a prayer your way.  

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/09 3:35 am
I would suggest you join this yahoo group.  There are many members who have gone through a reversal of their surgery:

http://groups.yahoo.com/adultconf?dest=/group/OSSG-gone_wrong/

I wish you luck in getting back your health.

PAMELA KELLEY
on 8/25/09 1:29 am - Wetumpka, AL
Thank you very much for the information Happy I appreciate your help. I am at wits end and am also a mystery patient. Genetic problems creeping up along with malnutrition. Thanks again, Pam Kelley
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/09 1:36 pm - Phx, AZ
I, too, am suffering w/deficiencies...just got back from the hematologist, who states that I do have a genetic hemolytic anemia, which has been greatly compromised by the lack of fat-soluble vitamins, which are breaking down my red blood cells.  I have to quit my job and try to get on disability now, because I cannot function any longer and have very little quality of life.  He is trying a drug to enhance absorption, but if it doesn't work he is contemplating a weekly infusion of fats and nutrition...to keep me homebound.  I thought I would do better w/the revision...now I find I am not.  I have lost 50 lbs since Nov and am skin and bones anymore.  I know how you feel.
JRinAZ
on 8/24/09 1:46 pm - Layton, UT
On August 24, 2009 at 8:36 PM Pacific Time, Lizzie wrote:
I, too, am suffering w/deficiencies...just got back from the hematologist, who states that I do have a genetic hemolytic anemia, which has been greatly compromised by the lack of fat-soluble vitamins, which are breaking down my red blood cells.  I have to quit my job and try to get on disability now, because I cannot function any longer and have very little quality of life.  He is trying a drug to enhance absorption, but if it doesn't work he is contemplating a weekly infusion of fats and nutrition...to keep me homebound.  I thought I would do better w/the revision...now I find I am not.  I have lost 50 lbs since Nov and am skin and bones anymore.  I know how you feel.
Lizzie,
I'm wondering if you've been taking Vitalady's DRY vitamins?  My problems improved tremendously when I finally got hooked up with the right vites.  But....this hemolytic anemia?  Yikes!!!!  Can it be resolved or will you always have it to worry about?  Since it's genetic, will you still have it if you have your ERny reversed?

BTW, your baby artwork is AMAZING!!!!!  Did you send to Halllmark???

Have you stopped work already?  Can I bring in lunch sometime so we can have a long chat???

Hugggzzz to you friend!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/09 2:04 pm - Phx, AZ
Joycie:

The Hematologist said that the DRY vitamins are the problem... esp w/gastric bypass, the UNDERabsorption of needed fats (E,K,D,A) can contribute to weak RBCs... And w/Hemolytic Anemia, it makes it even worse, because my RBCs are already being destroyed.  Says I am still his "Mystery Patient"... goody.  He is one of the best Hema docs in Phx too..... I have stumped a great one.

I am trying to use up as much Discretionary pay as I have...so I'm taking this week, but also have 2 Mayo appts...as well as one on Mon.  I am going to try to work 'til Sept 3 or so, so that my ins will hang on 'til Oct 1.  My loving parents offered to pay my premiums for a year.  How sweet! Doc wants me on Disability too...no more work for mere pennies...now I can sit around and eat Bon Bons and draw pretty pictures of chubby babies.

RE: Lunch...Make it FATTY cheeseburgers.  We can hit Mimi's... they have great food.  :)

ME
Most Active