Does anyone else have this issue

norma4797
on 8/19/09 11:18 am - NJ
Hi There!

I had a lap band in 2006 and a revision to an RNY in 2008.  My anniversary is coming up in September.  When I first had my revision I progreesed my diet as instructed and was full of energy.  Now I am deficient in calcium and vitamin so I am tired and sleepy a lot.  But I have noticed that I can not make up my mind on food.  For instance, at work its lunch time and everyone is ordering, I look at the menu and nothing strikes me.  I come home dinner is ready since my brother cooks for me and nothing seems appealing.  I will eat anything but I seem to have lost my desire to eat.  This is very unlike me and started happening about 3 months ago.  I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

Thanks,
Norma
Norma

If you love yourself first then all others will too.  Never judge me by looking at my shell, instead try to look at my soul.

Lap Band 2-1-07   starting weight 317 lost 50 pounds gained 25 back  

Revision to Gastric Bypass on 9-9-08 starting weight was 294

mew6495
on 8/20/09 5:22 am - MI
On August 19, 2009 at 6:18 PM Pacific Time, norma4797 wrote:
Hi There!

I had a lap band in 2006 and a revision to an RNY in 2008.  My anniversary is coming up in September.  When I first had my revision I progreesed my diet as instructed and was full of energy.  Now I am deficient in calcium and vitamin so I am tired and sleepy a lot.  But I have noticed that I can not make up my mind on food.  For instance, at work its lunch time and everyone is ordering, I look at the menu and nothing strikes me.  I come home dinner is ready since my brother cooks for me and nothing seems appealing.  I will eat anything but I seem to have lost my desire to eat.  This is very unlike me and started happening about 3 months ago.  I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

Thanks,
Norma
 Girl...I am right there with you!  I had Proximal RNY in 2001 and ERNY in 2008.  Where before I use to "crave" different types of foods and now I very, very seldom crave anything and like you said...When I have to make a choice it becomes difficult at times simply because I never have a "taste" for anything.  When my hubby asks what do you "feel like" I usually say doesn't matter I can eat anything.  

It's kind of weird, I know.  I use it as a tool not to overeat or eat what I shouldn't.  So I make most of my choices based on how much protein the dish offers.

With RNY vitamin deficiencies can be an issue.  I would suggest upping your calcium intake, do not take your calcium and iron together or within 2 hours of each other and always take your vitamin D with your calcium.  Vita lady is very knowledgeable about vitamins and their required levels.  You can find her profile on this site or by googling her.  

Good luck.

JRinAZ
on 8/20/09 7:13 am - Layton, UT
On August 20, 2009 at 12:22 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
Hi There!

Thanks,
Norma
 Girl...I am right there with you!  I had Proximal RNY in 2001 and ERNY in 2008.  Where before I use to "crave" different types of foods and now I very, very seldom crave anything and like you said...When I have to make a choice it becomes difficult at times simply because I never have a "taste" for anything.  When my hubby asks what do you "feel like" I usually say doesn't matter I can eat anything.  

It's kind of weird, I know.  I use it as a tool not to overeat or eat what I shouldn't.  So I make most of my choices based on how much protein the dish offers.

With RNY vitamin deficiencies can be an issue.  I would suggest upping your calcium intake, do not take your calcium and iron together or within 2 hours of each other and always take your vitamin D with your calcium.  Vita lady is very knowledgeable about vitamins and their required levels.  You can find her profile on this site or by googling her.  

Good luck.

Woooo HOOOO! 
You 2 hit the jackpot!
 Seriously?  Do you know how it sounds to the mass majority when they hear someone say they don't crave anything or no longer have a "taste" for anything!    Your surgery just might be WORKING!!!!

I ran into trouble a few weeks ago when I started subbing in old favorites "just to see" if they tasted as good as they used to; thus, making me feel some kind of twisted security that my taster wasn't broken!  ....  Well, my taster turned quickly into my "wanter" and cravings came right on through my front door.  It didn't take long for even my ERny mechanics to hold onto SEVEN pounds!  7 pounds on a size 2 shoots you right out of your wardrobe in a hurry!

I look at the lack of wanting to eat as a sign that my body is in ketosis (makes you feel satiated) and that I'm on target with my choices.  Carbs creates cravings!  Don't fall victim!  ....  I've gone through 3 days of PROTEIN fasting (protein over 150 for me and under 40 carbs per day) to clean out the carbs.  Detoxing is as hard now as it ever was!  Migraine, stinky breath of ketosis, ready to pounce on poor DH (and not the way in which he'd like to be pounced on!  LOL!)....... But the tool got right to work and took off 4 of those pounds in 2 days!!!  ....  the other 3 destined to disappear in the next few days!!!  I don't want to go shopping for a completely new fall wardrobe.  I really LIKE last years stuff!  LOL! 

MEW is right on target suggesting we always check our labs for insight into our health and well being! 

In the meantime....let the brother cook whatever as long as it's healthy!!!  AND, if he decides to schedule his services then keep us posted

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JROLFSON
on 8/20/09 8:09 am - St. George, UT

Joyce:

I just had to chime in her and tell ya...You're so dang cute and witty!

How are you?

Janie

JRinAZ
on 8/21/09 1:34 am - Layton, UT
On August 20, 2009 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:

Joyce:

I just had to chime in her and tell ya...You're so dang cute and witty!

How are you?

Janie

Hey there cute Utah girlfriend!

I loved seeing your face back on here:)  Glad to hear that your journey is moving in the right direction and that you're getting it all figured out for you!

I am angeling a Revision here in Phoenix (had to dust off my wings!  LOL!) and have joined her this week in her low carb pre-op diet.  Whew!  The Carb Detoxing is as hard as it ever was!!!  I'm a whimp but I made it through 3 solid days of minimal carbs and high proteins with NO crap at all! (trying to stay under 40 carbs and go OVER 150 proteins)  I lost 4 pounds so far!  Woooo Hooooo!  I've decided that my clothes fit me better when I'm at the lower end of my litle range so I'm shooting for 7 more.  I've got a busy weekend with lots of walking ahead so am hoping for a happy Monday morning weigh in.

We had a GREAT "Highly Malabsorptive" support group last night here in AZ.  It's just so nice to be able to talk specifric issues rather than water down comments so lapbanders, sleeves and proxies don't get left out.

I'm coming your way in a few days:)

Big Hugggzzz!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JROLFSON
on 8/21/09 1:38 am - St. George, UT
Your headed my way? Where are you going to be...I would love to see you...

Give me a buzz or email me at jrolfson@*******construction.com

JR
mew6495
on 8/21/09 1:35 pm - MI
On August 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On August 20, 2009 at 12:22 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
Hi There!

Thanks,
Norma

Good luck.

Woooo HOOOO! 
You 2 hit the jackpot!
 Seriously?  Do you know how it sounds to the mass majority when they hear someone say they don't crave anything or no longer have a "taste" for anything!    Your surgery just might be WORKING!!!!

I ran into trouble a few weeks ago when I started subbing in old favorites "just to see" if they tasted as good as they used to; thus, making me feel some kind of twisted security that my taster wasn't broken!  ....  Well, my taster turned quickly into my "wanter" and cravings came right on through my front door.  It didn't take long for even my ERny mechanics to hold onto SEVEN pounds!  7 pounds on a size 2 shoots you right out of your wardrobe in a hurry!

I look at the lack of wanting to eat as a sign that my body is in ketosis (makes you feel satiated) and that I'm on target with my choices.  Carbs creates cravings!  Don't fall victim!  ....  I've gone through 3 days of PROTEIN fasting (protein over 150 for me and under 40 carbs per day) to clean out the carbs.  Detoxing is as hard now as it ever was!  Migraine, stinky breath of ketosis, ready to pounce on poor DH (and not the way in which he'd like to be pounced on!  LOL!)....... But the tool got right to work and took off 4 of those pounds in 2 days!!!  ....  the other 3 destined to disappear in the next few days!!!  I don't want to go shopping for a completely new fall wardrobe.  I really LIKE last years stuff!  LOL! 

MEW is right on target suggesting we always check our labs for insight into our health and well being! 

In the meantime....let the brother cook whatever as long as it's healthy!!!  AND, if he decides to schedule his services then keep us posted

Hey there Joyce!  Thanks for your support and encouragement!  As always, it is wonderful and very appreciated.

Glad to hear life's treating you well.  You are such an inspiration.... 

Most Active