Revision: RNY- to LAPBAND

Tracy Ta Da
on 8/19/09 1:22 am - Hurst, TX

I have surgery back in 2003.  Has anyone had a revision from RNY to BANDING?

I will tell my whole story and see who might relate! :-)

Tracy

Thanks!

Tracy
Start 336
Surgery Dec 2003

Gained back up to 277.  Revision planned to resolve jejunum diverticulitis. Post revision completed 12/2013

Dorothy E.
on 8/19/09 2:28 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Tracy!

A familiar face you are!   I have just started researching a revision.   CARBS ARE OF THE DEVIL!
There is another procedure called the Rose Procedure that is done through the mouth.  I was going to have it done, but they got in there and found out they didn't have room to do it.  I am now looking at other options including banding.  I have gained back 35 pounds, and I never got down as low as I wanted to in the first place although I lost 140 total.   

Good luck.

Dorothy E. 
Tracy Ta Da
on 8/19/09 3:26 am - Hurst, TX
Oh MY GOOD NESS!! How are you?   Well I have actually gained back up to 240 but I haven't updated my signature - so that's an innocent fib. :-)

I have looked into the Rose - but no doctor has offered to do it to me. I have seen three different surgeons as well - especially my original one - wonder why he doesn't perform this procedure? 

It seems to me that my 'condition' points back to the way that my small intestine was connected to my pouch.  There was 'extra' tissue there that held food encouraging the stoma to stretch.  All that combined with my initially mild non-compliance - created my 'intestines being a stomach' now.  So I eat bad -  I don't dump all that often or learned to ignore it.  They want to cut me open and remove the tissue all together and do what I believe might be the equivelent of a DS. (please no one slam me if I am wrong)  But he's talking about removing part of the stomach that has a Grehlin hormone release thingie in it...I am researching!!!!! 

I considered Banding - or I am - because it's restricive and absorbtion isn't my issue - it's restriction.

It's so good to see you and I am glad you are really doing well.  140 is ALOT of weight!  HELLO!!!!!

Tracy Ta Da down about 100 and holding on!
jeanyjane
on 8/19/09 5:30 am - Germany
Many here have the band over bypass to give them some restriction back.
However, carbs go right through the band, it restricts mainly dense food, especially protein. Many people with the lapband actually gain their weight back because the band doesn`t allow them to eat protein or veggies and only the unhealthy, high-carb food goes through without causing discomfort. That`s not true for all, certainly!

If your doctors want to do something DS-like, then why you don`t consider the real DS? In longterm, that`s the most sucessful revision option availible.
Tracy Ta Da
on 8/19/09 11:13 pm - Hurst, TX
How could I have a DS if my stomach is already detached?
Kathy H.
on 8/19/09 1:20 pm, edited 8/19/09 1:22 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, Tracy.

I've never heard of anyone *revising* from an RNY to a band. It seems to me to be a step backwards in the effectiveness scale. I *have* heard of banding over an RNY, but no personal experience to offer you.

I was recently revised from a VBG (an old stomach stapling) to a Duodenal Switch, and have lost very close to 80 pounds. I knew a restrictive-only surgery like the Band or the Sleeve wouldn't be strong enough for my metabolism, which has been SHOT over the course of a lifetime of dieting and then the VBG. I also wasn't in a hurry to rush into the tiny little stomach pouch of the RNY, plus I needed to be able to take my anti-inflammatories for my arthritis.

I found the DS to have superior stats in terms of short- and long-term weight loss, co-morbidity resolution and... and this was a biggie, to me... post-op quality of life (as defined by me).

I just want to make sure you've explored all your options, because typically a surgeon won't offer you the DS as an option because so many don't have the training to *perform* the DS.

I'm extrememly happy with my choice, and would be happy to talk to your more about it, if you'd like. Feel free to PM me. In the meantime, I'll link a couple of sites with great information on the DS.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the luck!

Kathy

http://www.dsfacts.com/

http://duodenalswitch.com/

http://www.duodenalswitchdoc.com/revisional-bariatric-surger y.html

Edited to add this: whoops! I just saw your secondary response and know a little more about your circunstances! I'll leave my response in case someone else may benefit from the links and comments!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Tracy Ta Da
on 8/19/09 11:08 pm - Hurst, TX
Well, it's considered a revision.  Opinions vary on whether it is a step back or not. It's not really DS - but he is removing part of the stomach that produces the Ghrelin - and resecting the small intestine - but supposedly narrowing my stoma too. It's a pretty invasive surgery -  alot of chances for complications.  Believe me - I am doing all the research that I can, but I am told I have something called Diverticulum in the jejunim - I cannot find hardly anyone that has gone through this - save the few people in my support group. :-)  The solid liquid diet for up to 5 months does NOT appeal to me at all.

I will keep trucking along - but I am thinking that I am not a good candidate for Lapband - just have a feeling that I would possibly eat through it until I get my head straight.  SO !  Head straightening, #1 priority at the moment. :-)

Thanks for all the information - it's going to prove to be invaluable in the big picture.

Tracy
Kathy H.
on 8/19/09 11:50 pm - Kent, WA
Good morning, Tracy-

ohhhh, no. I wasn't questioning whether or not it would be considered a revision. :)

At the point I wrote my response, I'd read your subjectline (Revision: RNY- to LAPBAND) and your initial post, but NOT your second response, explaining the DS-like procedure your doctor is proposing.

The reason the comment was out there at all is that statistically speaking, the band is the least effective surgery, long term. Our metabolisms become very stubborn when we do anything drastic (crash diets, WLS, etc.), and it becomes *more* difficult for us to lose weight, not easier. With our metabolisms being what they are at this point, it doesn't make sense to go from a more effective procedure (RNY) to a less effective one (Band).

Yeah, revision surgery *is* very invasive. The recovery from mine kicked my butt! But like I said, I'm very happy with my decision, and my loss so far. Are you serious about the five MONTHS of liquid??? Erk. I had a hard time tolerating that for less than a week!

How many medical opinions have you gotten regarding your situation? I'm a huge supporter of getting several ... I just consider it part of the research. Not every doc is giong to attack a problem in the same way - they all have different tools (skill sets) in their toolbox, you know?

The best of luck, Tracy, whatever you end up doing. Keep us posted, okay?

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Tracy Ta Da
on 8/20/09 12:00 am - Hurst, TX
Thanks for the reply - I understand what you are saying. :-)

I have had my eyes opened about lapband from just one post. ;-)   I have rcvd three 'opinions' all differing -  it's very frustrating just trying to be smart about my own body!!!  I don't know what to do.  I suspect that my original surgeon is exaggerating everything to get insurance to pay for this with no questions - he's trying to help - another surgeon thinks banding is an option - another says I don't need ANYTHING - he says I need to get 'back on track' which is true - but my hunger is just uncontrollable at times. They idea of removing some of the hunger component is appealing to me and also - this is MY LAST CHANCE. I cannot keep having revisions over and over every 6 years.  I seriously have to straighten myself out.

How many more doctors should I see - how should I find a doctor that can truly help me or at least be straight with me - how do I know who to trust.  It's extremely upsetting dealing with that aspect and the financial aspects at the same time - but I am ruling out lapband as an option. I am not ready to be given license to eat carbs with ease.

Tracy
sydnieb
on 8/19/09 2:16 pm - northridge, Ca
I am looking to have this done to RNY (2001) to lap band.  I have had two doctors say this would be better then the ROSE which is what I originally wanted and I dont understand why I can not find more people online that have had it done.  I really want to know which would give me the best results.  I am so frustrated!!!
Most Active