I'm considering a revision from lap band to RNY

Lucy21485
on 8/18/09 3:22 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06
I was banded Aug. 2006 and lost around 20 lbs. and that was it because I couldn't get use to eating smaller portions. I would eat more than I should and always made my self vomit and I didn't have the support I needed and I wasn't motivated and I didn't keep up with my doctor visits. In August of 2008 I got pregnant, I weighed 252 and my ob/gyn sent me to get the saline taken out for the sake of my baby. So I had the fluid taken out in Nov. 2008 and I gained 20 lbs through out my pregnancy. I had to have an emergency C- section but my daughter was born with no complications, thank god! So now I'm up to about 265 lbs and feel miserable and depressed. I want to get the RNY but I'm not sure if my Insurance will cover it. Wish me luck!

emjayel56
on 8/19/09 1:08 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Good luck Lucy; I am scheduled for revision from band to RNY in 12 days.  My insurance is paying for it.  Keep me posted on what you decide.
Maryjo
Lucy21485
on 8/19/09 2:41 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06
Thank you! Do you have to go through the qualification again? What was your reason for the revision?
emjayel56
on 8/19/09 2:51 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
Hi well my band is damaging the esophagus (dilating)  etc. so it has to come out.  My insurance did approve it even though my bmi was below 40 but they did look at co-morbidities as well as the complications of the band.  all the best to you.
maryjo 
Pam M.
on 8/19/09 5:00 pm - WA
My insurance covered my revision. I got my band in July of 2008, and by November, I was in the hospital having emergency surgery because my band had slipped. When my doctor submitted the paperwork to my insurance, he wrote a letter talking about how the band had failed. I never saw the letter, but I was approved on the first try for revision.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

Most Active