Feedback needed from those of you with shortened CC, ERNY...DS...

mew6495
on 8/17/09 5:31 am - MI
 I am 3 lbs below goal and need to know what those of you who are maintaining, diet is like to keep from going to low?  

This is the first time in my "weight loss" life that I have been below goal and even needed to maintain...soooooo it is a NEW experience for me!  

I am trying to maintain a healthy life style.  My problem is that I will drop below goal eating a basic healthy diet.  Seems the only way I get back up to goal is to introduce simple carbs back in to my eating plan.  Sometimes the intake has to be quite a bit to kick up the weight to bring me back to my goal.  I have had to do this many times over the past 4 months.  I consider doing it this way dangerous for me as I have ALWAYS been a carb junkie....don't want to ever see my top weight again...     I want to maintain in a healthy manner but can't seem to accompli**** with sticking to protein and complex carbs.  I also don't want to go to low as I have this concern (unsubstantiated at this point) of going to low and not being able to stop.....

Any suggestions are much appreciated!  

JRinAZ
on 8/17/09 6:15 am - Layton, UT
On August 17, 2009 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
 I am 3 lbs below goal and need to know what those of you who are maintaining, diet is like to keep from going to low?  

This is the first time in my "weight loss" life that I have been below goal and even needed to maintain...soooooo it is a NEW experience for me!  

I am trying to maintain a healthy life style.  My problem is that I will drop below goal eating a basic healthy diet.  Seems the only way I get back up to goal is to introduce simple carbs back in to my eating plan.  Sometimes the intake has to be quite a bit to kick up the weight to bring me back to my goal.  I have had to do this many times over the past 4 months.  I consider doing it this way dangerous for me as I have ALWAYS been a carb junkie....don't want to ever see my top weight again...     I want to maintain in a healthy manner but can't seem to accompli**** with sticking to protein and complex carbs.  I also don't want to go to low as I have this concern (unsubstantiated at this point) of going to low and not being able to stop.....

Any suggestions are much appreciated!  

A very WISE lady told me (Vitalady) once to not worry about going to low.  Worry about getting your labs normal and everything else will fall into place!  ....  I took her advice in January when I had gotten down to 98 pounds.  I ordered a HUGE vitamin list from her, got my labs taken so I'd have a reference point to work on, got appointments with a couple of surgeon's and tackled "good health"!!!

One appointment lead me to going gluten free the end of Feb and since the turn around in healthy eating, I have my BMI back into a normal range and my energy is fantastic!  I've got to get another set of labs done soon so I can compare with the last and continue tweaking supplements until it's all completely right.

You stated the exact danger of getting your weight up with carbs.  Carbs are an evil monster to get rid of and there's no real nutritional value in them.  Increase your calories with healthy fats:  full flavored fat content cheeses, extra virgin olive oil, butter, cream, etc.  You'll feel satiated and still be living low carb.

No worries with the low weight.  If you're healthy then your weight will be healthy.....even if that means a lower weight that you first set as your goal!

Congrats on your success!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/18/09 12:35 pm
If you start adding carbs, stick to more complex carbs. Simple carbs just don't offer much nutritionally, and something like fruit is great as it has natural sugars, as well as being nutritious.

I agree with having good labs, and if you still need to add weight, you may ask your doc about adding digestive enzymes, to absorb more out of your food.
Most Active