revison from vbg to rny but only 160 pounds

TABITHA39
on 8/16/09 7:20 am
im getting rny soon because i suffer from ulcers and my band is to tight from vbg. isa two doc they both said the same thing. i have to have a revision. they said i will lose weight but how much they dont know. has any been through this situation?
Kathy H.
on 8/16/09 10:09 am, edited 8/16/09 10:14 am - Kent, WA
not this specific situation, no - I didn't have ulcers. But I had a VBG 23 years ago, and was recently revised to a DS.

I just really want to be sure you're doing your own research on what type of surgery will be best for you.

It's a relatively easy surgery to revise an VBG to an RNY, but please please please do yourself a favor and research the DS as well. An RNY anatomy is prone to... guess what?... ULCERS. Be very very careful. If the surgeons you've consulted with don't perform the DS, they wouldn't have mentioned the DS, and the DS *may* be the best surgery for your cir****tances.

I looked at my options for revisions... could find several local surgeons that were wiling to revise me to an RNY, but I had serious concerns about an RNY ... I'd already lived for 23 years with a pouch, and I was pretty much over that. I also have arthritis and wanted to be able to continue to take my medication without fear of ulcers forming.

Plus... and this was a biggie for me. Having already had one WLS fail, I knew that the revision would be my very last WLS, regardless of the outcome. I researched my heart out and found that the duodenal switch had superior short- and long-term WL stats ... had superior co morbidity resolution statistics and gave me (in my opinion, of course) the very best post-op quality of life with regard to eating.

So instead of staying local in Seattle to have an RNY, I traveled to New Jersey to have a DS with one of the top revision surgeons in the US... Dr Greenbaum.

Yes, it's a more complicated surgery. Yes, I had to travel to get it. But it was without a doubt the best decision for my cir****tances.

I can tell you that I no longer FEAR food. After vomiting on average three or four times a week for the last 23 years, I can HAPPILY report I haven't vomited *once* since my revision. I eat chicken and seafood! I haven't tried a lot of beef, yet, because my mind has 23 years of programming on the evils of beef... it was one food that was certain to get stuck almost every single time I ate it.

I can't describe to you the *freedom* I feel, now. I'm not yet four months out, and I'm down 77 pounds. I'm loving life, and LOVING my DS!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. And good luck to you, no matter what you choose!

Kathy

Edited to add this: I just now re-read your subject line. Do you mean that you now weigh 160 pounds? Or that you have 160 pounds to lose? If you only weigh 160 pounds, the DS may NOT be the best surgery for you. But I'd be surprised if the RNY was the answer, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

TABITHA39
on 8/16/09 11:08 am
thanks for replying to my question. yes im onlhy weight 160 pounds i consulted two m.d. they said the only wls i can have is the rny. they said i wil lose weight but they can do it where i wont lose to much. m very nervous...

tabitha
Kathy H.
on 8/16/09 11:27 am - Kent, WA
Hi, Tabitha.

I guess my question would be WHY is the RnY the 'only' option? Is it the only option because that's the only WLS they know how to perform, or are they giving you specific medical reasons why the DS will not work for you? I find that so often a surgeon will only access their OWN toolbox when presenting you with options. This sucks, because as intelligent people, we need to know all our options before being cut. Your surgeon is motivated to get your business. If he doesn't perform the DS, he's NOT going to be motivated to inform you of it.

And with the RNY anatomy being prone to ulcers.... which you are clearly prone to, youself ... I'd be darned sure I'd looked into other options before leaping into that particular surgery.

The DS isn't performed as widely as the RNY because it's a more complex surgery. But the good news is it's infintely customizable, so the weight loss can be ratcheted WAY back to a slow crawl simply by leaving you with a long common channel.

My concern is that you're not getting complete information from your surgeons.

Please do some research on your own... educate yourself on both the RNY and the DS. Ask your surgeon why, since you're prone to ulcers, he's suggesting a WLS that will increase the possibility of ulcers.

I wish you all the luck, Tabitha. If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to PM me.

Kathy

ps.... here's some great sites to explore the DS surgery on your own. Very informative. And... information is power, you know?

~hug~

http://duodenalswitch.com/

http://dsfacts.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Ms Shell
on 8/18/09 6:55 am - Hawthorne, CA

Ok from what I remember the VBG is a restrictive only surgery meaning they didn't touch your intestines?  If that's the case looks like you did very well and might consider getting the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy VSG.  How much more do you want to loose?

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active