APPROVED for RNY revision

Farrah W
on 8/16/09 10:41 am - Tallahassee, FL
I got word on Friday that I'm approved for a revision to RNY due to an ulcer that won't heal that I've been battling since March. YAY!!!

I go in to talk with my surgeon tomorrow and to schedule a date  but I'd like to know what to expect. When I met with him initially he said that he would take out the sutures, cut out the ulcer and redo. Do you know what exactly will happen? Is the healing time going to be just as long as the initial surgery? Will I probably be in the hospital 24-48 hours? 

Do you think I can ask for them to redo the pouch and make more restriction by maybe doing a ERNY? I was 246 initially, went down to 155, and am now at 175. I'm 4 years out.

just looking for others that have dealt with similar issues.

Please spay and neuter your pets!
Kathy H.
on 8/16/09 11:17 am - Kent, WA
You don't mention what type of WLS your initial procedure was.

I'd be careful, though, if you're prone to ulcers ... the anatomy of the RNY is such that ulcers are an automatic concern. And with the blind stomach (the larger portion of the stomach that's left in tact, but isn't in use and is not visible using a scope), there's no way to know whether or not you have ulcers without an invasive surgery. You can certainly scope the pouch for ulcers, but not the larger portion of the stomach, which is still producing acid.

Be sure you're researching all your options ON YOUR OWN. If your surgeon doesn't perform all the different WLSs, he's not going to suggest them as possibly *better* options for dealing with your particular set of cir****tances.

The DS is an option, though it's normally associated with larger weight loss than you need. It's a wonderful surgery, though, and can be tailored so the WL isn't heavy-duty. It leaves you with a fully-functioning stomach (though smaller), retains your pylorus as a functioning organ (you lose the use of the pylorus with the RNY, which is why some RNYers are prone to sugar dumping). And this is important: DSers are no more prone to ulcers than the general non-WLS population, and the post-op quality of life is amazing.

I can say that with conviction, because I'm living it! If you were to sit down to a meal with me, you'd never know I had WLS.

My concern with the DS would be too much weight loss with you, but fortunately the DS is infinitely customizable, and they can simply leave you with a longer common channel to avoid too much weight loss.

Please do some research. If your insurance will approve the RNY, there's a chance they'll also approve the DS for you. You owe it to yourself to explore ALL your options... not just those options that your surgeon performs.

The very best of luck to you, no matter what you choose!

Kathy

ps... feel free to PM me if you have any questions ... and these sites are wonderful resources for researching the DS:

http://duodenalswitch.com/

http://dsfacts.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Farrah W
on 8/16/09 11:22 am - Tallahassee, FL
Sorry, I had the RNY on 9/19/05. The DS could be a better option for me, but my insurance company doesn't cover it - revision or initial WLS. I barely got approved for the revision as it is.

Kathy H.
on 8/16/09 11:35 am - Kent, WA
I love your tag line, by the way. HUGE spay and neuter fan, here. My daughter is in the veterinary field, so she's indoctrinated me!

:)

What insurance do you have? If a revision has been approved, it may be a matter of simply appealing for the revision to be to a DS, instead. It's no longer considered "experimental," and medicare covers it... so many insurance companies now just want to know you're REALLY interested in it... and will not approve it automatically.

However, if you can prove that the DS will be medically *superior* for your cir****tances (and that shouldn't be difficult, given your cir****tances), they may well approve it on a one-off basis.

Sounds like you've done some research already, and that you'd rather have a DS than you would an RNY ... this is the rest of your life you're talking about. I'd say it's worth putting a day into gathering information and writing a letter to see if you can get them to approve it, huh?

Good luck, Farrah!

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Farrah W
on 8/16/09 11:43 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated! I have a local insurance called Capital Health Plan (I think it's backed by BC/BS). There is no local Doctor that does the DS - Tallahassee is pretty small area and the HMO pretty much won't allow you out of network.

I'm big into volunteering for our local humane society and am the Adoption Coordinator. We also foster for the Bullmastiff Rescue of America. I love animals! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/09 1:40 am - San Jose, CA
Just so you know -- it is entirely possible to get an RNY revision authorization changed to authorization for a DS.  It will take some work, but it can be done.  You will need to self-pay for a consult with a DS revision surgeon, and in your neck of the woods, that would be Dr. Husted in KY, hands down.  If he writes you a letter of medical necessity, outlining in detail why a revision to a DS would be more appropriate for your medical condition, you can get a denial overturned.  And since you have an HMO, and there are no qualified DS revision surgeons in-network, your HMO will be required to pay for you to get a revision to a DS out-of-network at the same cost to you as if it were in-network.

This will take a few months, depending on how fast you set up your consult and submit, and how long you take to respond to and refute the denials, but it is done all the time.
CaraScrv7
on 8/16/09 3:50 pm - Inland Empire, CA
Your Bullie is beautiful!  I have two myself :0)  Bailey (red on left) and Bella (Fawn on right).

Farrah W
on 8/17/09 9:12 am - Tallahassee, FL
They are so cute! I love these big lapdogs! I don't think I could have another breed after my bullmastiffs!

Most Active