Success going from Lap to RNY???

L B.
on 8/15/09 9:36 pm
Hi everyone. I am scheduled to have my band removed and a revision to RNY on September 1st. I was wondering how many of you out there have done this and if you are happy with your decision? Have you been more successful with the RNY then the Band?

Thank You!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/09 7:00 am - AZ
On August 16, 2009 at 4:36 AM Pacific Time, beltranklan wrote:
Hi everyone. I am scheduled to have my band removed and a revision to RNY on September 1st. I was wondering how many of you out there have done this and if you are happy with your decision? Have you been more successful with the RNY then the Band?

Thank You!!

I revised from a band to sleeve and I realize now just how much the band sucks. ;o)  Good luck with your surgery!

BTW, my friend is stationed in Germany and she also goes to your doctor.

brandyII
on 8/16/09 1:19 pm
I was one of the few who never lost with the band in the first place and it wasn't until my revision to RNY that I began to have success.  Good luck to you!  Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

emjayel56
on 8/16/09 11:11 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
Thanks for these positive uplifting comments.  I have had 2 bands for 9 years.  I am scheduled August 31 for a revision to RNY.  Scared to death but excited at the same time for a new beginning.  Today is day 1 of 14 days of liquid diet :( 

Good luck to all
maryjo
MyOMy
on 8/16/09 11:44 pm - Youngsville, NC
I couldnt be any HAPPIER! I have lost more weight in the short 2 mo. post-op of RNY then I did in over 1 1/2 yrs with the band...and no vomiting! What a concept!
Best Wishes to you!

Debba
on 8/18/09 7:01 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Hi!

I went from band to RNY on May 19th and I'm sooooo glad I did.  I actually did pretty well with the band for the first year or so - lost about 70 lbs (Got my band in Oct 2006).  Then my gallbladder went and I had to have it removed (Oct 2007).  Things just didn't seem right after that.  In Jan 09 I started just not being able to eat any solid foods.  I was OK with soups, mushies and crunchies, but good solid protein or even veggies just wouldn't go down.  Vomiting for me was becoming the norm.  My band had to be emptied.  Empty band + mushies/crunchies = weight gain (to the tune of 19 lbs).  My surgeon suggested the revision and at first I was hesitant.  Then the regurgitation started in the middle of the night.  I thought I would choke to death!  I called him and said YES, lets do it.  He got an approval from the insurance company for a revision - my choice.  We discussed my options and I went with RNY since it would definitely fix my acid reflux issues. 

Its been 3 months now and I'm so sorry I didn't go with RNY the first time around.  I've lost those 19 lbs. I have gained and then some.  I started this journey at 230 lbs. and I am now 147 lbs.  Seven more pounds to go to get to a normal BMI!!!

Best of luck to you!!

Debbie

Pam M.
on 8/19/09 5:07 pm - WA
The RNY is way more effective for me than the band ever was. I have lost 56 pounds in 12 weeks.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

uk-lady
on 8/23/09 7:22 am - Orange, CA
I am hoping someone can give me the advice I need. I had the band in 07 but have only lost 25 pounds !!My problem is I never eat. I dont eat nearly enough to make it work, I hardly drink enough water. I try to make sure I get my protien in through protien powder. If I eat solid foods like chicken, it gets stuck and I end up throwing it back up. I have been like this since my first fill a few months after surgery. I am still having to take all my meds I was on before surgery too .I did contact Monica and she said I should not be like this and I need to get my band checked out. Dr. Aceves is away till September so I will drive over to see him when he gets back. The thing is I have been reading up on the sleeve and I am seriously thinkig about asking him for a revision. If he says yes he will do it, how long do you have to wait between having the band removed and having the revision? Can anyone who has my surgeon tell me what the charges will be for this?
Thanks for any advice you can give me

Hugs
Myra
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/09 9:16 am - AZ
On August 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, uk-lady wrote:
I am hoping someone can give me the advice I need. I had the band in 07 but have only lost 25 pounds !!My problem is I never eat. I dont eat nearly enough to make it work, I hardly drink enough water. I try to make sure I get my protien in through protien powder. If I eat solid foods like chicken, it gets stuck and I end up throwing it back up. I have been like this since my first fill a few months after surgery. I am still having to take all my meds I was on before surgery too .I did contact Monica and she said I should not be like this and I need to get my band checked out. Dr. Aceves is away till September so I will drive over to see him when he gets back. The thing is I have been reading up on the sleeve and I am seriously thinkig about asking him for a revision. If he says yes he will do it, how long do you have to wait between having the band removed and having the revision? Can anyone who has my surgeon tell me what the charges will be for this?
Thanks for any advice you can give me

Hugs
Myra

I LOVE your surgeon! ;o)

Dr. Aceves did my band and he did a revision from band to sleeve.  He did my revision at goal for the same reasons you describe.

A friend of mine was banded about 4 years ago and is having horrible problems.  She asked him if he would revise her to a sleeve and he told her no.  He would do bypass but not a sleeve and his reasoning was that if she does not do well with restriction alone she isn't going to do well with another procedure that is merely restrictive in nature.

If you just want to get a fluoro exam done can't Sergio do it?  If he is in town I'll bet he would.

uk-lady
on 8/24/09 9:30 am, edited 8/24/09 9:31 am - Orange, CA
Thanks for getting back and answering my question. Yes if it was just a fluoro Sergio could do it ( did you know he is a daddy now) but I did want to sit and talk with the Dr. That way maybe he can explain to me what is going on with my band. If Sergio does the exam and sees there is a problem then I will have the long drive back to Mexico to see the doc anyway. Might as well do it all at once. If he is adamrnt about the revisionn I might just ask him to remove the band and go back to Kaiser for the sleeve. When I had the band fitted they didnt do it in S Cal so I had to self pay. I uderstand they do the sleeve though. Cant hurt by asking. This way I will get me aftercare here in the states and save a few pennies at the same time.
Thanks again and you have done terrific

Myra
Most Active