Keeping it real...how much can you eat!

CaraScrv7
on 8/14/09 4:32 pm - Inland Empire, CA
I am being told that it is highly possible that I have a fistula due to the sheer volume of food that I can now eat.  What I am told is that, even a mature pouch cannot hold as much as I can eat. Going for tests and starting revision process.

A little about me... I was in a traumatic accident 4 wks post op from my first RNY...immediately lost restriction but kept losing because I was very active...  Surgeon back in the day said he wouldn't worry as long as I was losing...maintained weight three years...had two kids...stay-at-home-mom...now lack of restriction is a BIG deal and I have put back on over 50 lbs...

So, keeping it real...how much can y'all eat...lets talk McDonalds since that is everywhere...

Thanks

CaraScrv7
on 8/15/09 4:00 pm - Inland Empire, CA
Seriously?  Not one person is going to fess up?  We are all here because we are getting a revision...it shouldn't be much of a shocker that we can eat more that we should...

shele
on 8/15/09 8:33 pm
People get revisions for various reasons. I got mine due to stoma failure.  I still have restriction, just not what I call retention LOL. My food doesn't stay with me very long.  And my intake amounts vary by day. Sometimes I feel like I can eat the whole cow, and other times like yesterday, I could only finish 3/4 of a burger(NO BUN). 

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Tracy Ta Da
on 8/19/09 1:35 am - Hurst, TX
HEY! I am having the SAME problem, really.....what revision did you have ?

Tracy
Andrea N P.
on 8/16/09 4:20 am - Rumson, NJ
I have a 5cm pouch and 2 cm stoma, moderately enlaged.  I can eat an entire Mc Donalds double cheeseburger by itself , or half a small fry,  meat of double cheeseburger and 1/3 bun.  Just keeping it real and awaiting revision to DS.
CaraScrv7
on 8/16/09 5:44 am, edited 8/16/09 5:44 am - Inland Empire, CA
Yeah, I can definately eat mor ethan y'all.  I really try to moderate my portions...but, if I really want to--I can eat more than one double cheeseburger...with the buns...most of the fries if I please. ..not to mention the large diet coke. 

Such a failure I am... :0(

Guess it makes sense why they think I have a fistula...wish my doctor would have listened when, at my 3 month post op, I told bhim I had zero restriction and could eat way more than I should be able to :0(
Gracies
on 8/16/09 6:28 am
I thought I was the only one!  I don't eat McDonald's but I know I could eat a big mac, fries and a drink and not blink an eye.  I could probably cram down a pie on top of that if I wanted to.   I certainly have eaten at Wendy's and Carl's Jr and can easily eat one of their "meals".  You would never ever guess I had had an RNY if you saw me eat.  When I tell people they don't believe me.

My restriction was never very good and now no one would guess I had had the surgery.  I am 4 years out and never got to goal weight but have hovered around 170 by sheer will and a low carb diet.  I knew from the beginning something was wrong with my surgery as I was able to chug a good 8 -10 oz of water a few days our when my friends at the support group could barely sip an ounce.  I complained to my doc at my first post of visit that i wasn't getting full and that I could take in much more than I should be able to but she told me just not to. Right, just don't do it.  That was her brilliant answer.  I am seriously considering pursuing revision although I know my HMO won't cover it since I am not gaining weight.  I just wi**** wasn't such a struggle.  

********************* Don't go to Tijuana whatever you do*******************

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/09 12:19 pm - Menomonee Falls, WI
Welcome to my world.  I told my surgeon's information group a couple of weeks after surgery not to worry because I don't feel any different than before surgery.  I told my surgeon 2 weeks after surgery that I never felt like I had eaten anything but I wasn't particularly hungry.  3 months after I was hungry.  6 months after I was gaining weight.  I view my low carb diet as my penance and the not craving a blessing I receive in return.  Daisy
CaraScrv7
on 8/16/09 6:51 am, edited 8/16/09 6:52 am - Inland Empire, CA
They will cover it if there is a failure of the surgery.  See if your PCP will refer you for an upper GI...if your stoma failed our your pouch failed then that is a medical necessity.

Oh yeah...just so ya know...My "re-gain" started about 4 years post-op and I wish I would have taken care of the mechanical issues back then so I would have reach goal rather than put back on this extra weight...

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/09 6:56 am - AZ
On August 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM Pacific Time, CaraScrv7 wrote:
I am being told that it is highly possible that I have a fistula due to the sheer volume of food that I can now eat.  What I am told is that, even a mature pouch cannot hold as much as I can eat. Going for tests and starting revision process.

A little about me... I was in a traumatic accident 4 wks post op from my first RNY...immediately lost restriction but kept losing because I was very active...  Surgeon back in the day said he wouldn't worry as long as I was losing...maintained weight three years...had two kids...stay-at-home-mom...now lack of restriction is a BIG deal and I have put back on over 50 lbs...

So, keeping it real...how much can y'all eat...lets talk McDonalds since that is everywhere...

Thanks

I don't have RNY but I did have a revision from band to sleeve.  With my working sleeve I can eat about 2.5oz of steak or about 5oz of soft foods like tuna salad.

I am absolutely 100% positive I would have failed with bypass.  I would have overeaten, stretched everything out and regained.  Not a doubt in my mind.  If I would have had bypass the first time around I would be starting the regain process about right now.

Most Active