Lap bander not having much success

Bari
on 8/13/09 11:42 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Everyone,

I was banded on 12/18/2007 and have lost 50lbs.  I am considering having a revision.  I was wondering how many other ex banders there are out there that had to resort to another surgery. 
emjayel56
on 8/14/09 12:14 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
I am having my band removed in 2 weeks and doing an RNY.  Good luck to you.
maryjo
Bari
on 8/14/09 12:34 am - Fort Worth, TX
Is your insurance covering it?  How much have you lost with the band?  I read an article that 40% of people who get the band are not successful.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/09 6:29 am - AZ
On August 14, 2009 at 7:34 AM Pacific Time, Bari wrote:
Is your insurance covering it?  How much have you lost with the band?  I read an article that 40% of people who get the band are not successful.

Only half of banded people will reach 50% loss of their excess weight. :o(

People considering banding a re listening to newbies in the honeymoon phase of WLS and they are all in love with their surgery type.  It's better to talk to those that are at least a year out from their surgery type.

www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/14954

Above is something you might want to read.

emjayel56
on 8/14/09 12:38 am - Boynton Beach,, FL
My insurance did approve the revision.  I lost about 100 lbs. but i have had the band for 9 years.  My first band was removed in Feb of this year when they put a brand new band in but nothing has changed with that.  I would probably agree that 40% failure rate is true and that may be a conservative number sadly.

good luck
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/09 6:27 am - AZ
On August 14, 2009 at 6:42 AM Pacific Time, Bari wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was banded on 12/18/2007 and have lost 50lbs.  I am considering having a revision.  I was wondering how many other ex banders there are out there that had to resort to another surgery. 

Why is the band not working for you?  No sweet spot?  Unable to make good food choices?  Reflux?  What's going on with it?

If you are able to make good food choices (vs. ice cream and chips) then a sleeve might be a good option.  If you are struggling with food choices and need a little more help than restriction alone then bypass or DS.

It really depends on why you aren't losing well with a band as to which surgery type to revise to.

I revised to a sleeve and for me that is a great option.  For others malabsorption is a better option.

Bari
on 8/14/09 6:30 am - Fort Worth, TX
I make good food choices for the most part but I have a hard time controlling the quantity.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/09 6:36 am - AZ
On August 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM Pacific Time, Bari wrote:
I make good food choices for the most part but I have a hard time controlling the quantity.

How is your restriction?

Bari
on 8/14/09 6:38 am - Fort Worth, TX
really don't have any and my band is almost full
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/09 6:43 am - AZ
On August 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, Bari wrote:
really don't have any and my band is almost full

I'd be getting an upper endoscopy to rule out erosion (no restriction even with a full band) or the barium swallow to rule out a dilated pouch/esophagus/slip.  That's first.

If you have done that and you just have a large band you can overfill them.  If your band is a 10cc you can put 12cc in it.  Do you have the newer mega bands?  Those ARE hard to get restriction.

Most Active