TYPICAL RESULTS FROM A REVISION

coachmnowak
on 8/11/09 3:00 pm
I have read a ton of information on RNY to a REVISON OF THE RNY surgery...  many state that results are "modest" or even more difficult to attain with the revision...  that the amount of weight lost isnt as "easy" if thats the proper description...

Can anyone who has had similiar surgeries to what i have described above tell me about their experience?  My surgery date is this upcoming Monday, August 17, 09.... any and all insight is appreciated

A journey toward something is also a journey away from something.
Whatever we give our mental attention to in our lives will increase in our lives.
If you want to sleep later go to bed earlier.

Lorie2
on 8/12/09 7:57 am
I had a revisin from rny to an extended rny in Feb.of this year. I'm losing wieght just fine. I'm down 52 pounds and still losing. Good luck to you! You'll do fine.  What kind of revision are you having?

Lori
coachmnowak
on 8/12/09 11:42 am
Lori,

Thanks for the reply...

i had a RNY gastric bypass 6/11/02.   Gained 100lbs back... have lost 30 in order to get ready for the RNY revision... i see the doctor tomorrow and surgery monday...  i am very excited. 

any other insight you can give me regarding the revision surgery and process would be appreciated.

M
A journey toward something is also a journey away from something.
Whatever we give our mental attention to in our lives will increase in our lives.
If you want to sleep later go to bed earlier.

mew6495
on 8/12/09 11:42 pm - MI
 I had proximal RNY in 2001 went in for a revision to ERNY 10/2008.  I have lost over 50 lbs since, am at goal and very happy with my weight loss.  The first couple of months out it seemed to be very slow loosing for me.  But then it kicked in and now I have to find ways at times to keep my weight up to my goal point!  ;-)  That is definitely a first for me.  I would have to say the weight loss was probably a bit faster with my original wls then with my revision but then again I had more to loose as well.  For me, I was not concerned about how fast I lost, just as long as the scales were going in the down direction and my health was getting better.

nanamickey
on 8/13/09 10:15 am

sorry,but that is a  erny 
mew6495
on 8/13/09 10:45 pm - MI
On August 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM Pacific Time, nanamickey wrote:

sorry,but that is a  erny 
 "Extended RNY".  It is where the surgeon shortens the malabsorptive component of your RNY wls.  The common channel (length of intestine where the enzymes and food share the same portion of intestine) is typically shortened any where from 50 cm to 150 cm in total.  When you have a proximal RNY generally you have roughly about 100 to 150 cm bypassed.  Leaving you with a long CC as the intestine is very long.

In ERNY the common channel is much like the DS intestinal component of the surgery.  The pouch and stoma are left untouched in the ERNY.

rebeccaford
on 8/13/09 2:24 pm - Honolulu, HI
I had a revision from a VBG to RNY in April 2009.  I've lost 68 pounds as of today.  I gained ALL my weight back before having the revision.

My main focus was my brain.  I really got to the bottom as to why I was eating.  WRapping my brain around my mental issues and really doing the surgery for the right reasons (i.e. for me instead of everyone else). I know I'll be successful this time.  I have to be.  I have no other options.  I had a full gastrectomy so there is nothing left to "revise".  This time is it.  I don't get another chance.  That is enough to scare me into total submission.  I am 100% compliant with my program. 

My dr. said I would lose more slowly and his goal for me is 199.  Well, 4 months later, I'm at 203.  I am serious about this and this is my new life and I'm so excited to be here.  I just might get to my goal weight of 165.

You can do it and be successful.  I've met a couple that have had revisions and one gal has been at 130lbs for over 5 years!!  And she had gained every lick of weight back after her first surgery. 

So there is hope. As they say in AA, you have to work the program. 

Work it girl!!  :-)  You can do it!!
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

Tabitha70
on 8/14/09 3:47 am
Hello. I am 8 months out from my revision from RNY to DS (dsfacts.com or duodenalswitch.com) and just this week I surpassed the total weight I ever lost with my RNY.  I'm lower than the RNY ever got me after years and I still have a long way to go in my 18 month post-op losing window so I'm hopeful that it will continue dropping.  I'm very excited about this.
I've lost 117lbs. since December and am praying that the scale keeps going down, down, down!   :-)

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

JRinAZ
on 8/14/09 4:35 am - Layton, UT
On August 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM Pacific Time, Tabitha70 wrote:
Hello. I am 8 months out from my revision from RNY to DS (dsfacts.com or duodenalswitch.com) and just this week I surpassed the total weight I ever lost with my RNY.  I'm lower than the RNY ever got me after years and I still have a long way to go in my 18 month post-op losing window so I'm hopeful that it will continue dropping.  I'm very excited about this.
I've lost 117lbs. since December and am praying that the scale keeps going down, down, down!   :-)
Weigh 2 go Tabitha!!!!  Woooooo Hoooooooooo!  Keep us posted on your journey! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Tabitha70
on 8/18/09 4:27 am
Thank-you Joyce. I hope I can do as well as you seem to have done!

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

Most Active