revision from rny

amy29
on 8/11/09 10:40 pm - Cross City, FL
I had my surgery in Feb '01, lost from 304 to 165, got pregnant with my 1st in March '02, gained 18 lbs, and lost down to 149 after I had him made my way back to 165, got pregnant again and had my 2nd child 19 months after my 1st, and I only gained 19 lbs with him.  Again, I went back down and settled, and seemed to "float" b/w 165-172lbs, and stayed there until Jan'08....all of a sudden I started gaining, so I started weigh****chers, gained 15 pounds in 1 1/2 weeks, & since then I have been on diets continuously. I can't find anything that works.  I am now at 223, and I am scared to death....everything I do, I gain weight, all of my bloodwork shows nothing  (ie thryoid, pituatary).  I have even started taking 1/2 adipex a day so that I will not be hungry, and have literally went to minimal intake of food.  I exercise 4-6 days a week.  I feel like such a failure that I am embarassed to go out of my house.  My hematologist mentioned a revision to me on Monday, and I didn't know that this was possible.....can I get opinions on which way to go, a BOB or where they go in & restaple?  Thanks....
Lorie2
on 8/12/09 7:53 am
Hi there,

I had rny surgery in 2003. about five years later i gained like 50 pounds. I started to look into revisions. I decided I wanted a ds. I went to see a ds surgeon. My revision surgery was in Feb of this year. I did not get a ds revision due to complications during surgery. This includes scarr tissue, a hernia etc... I did come out with an extended rny. I still have my pouch but they moved my intestined down further so now I don't absorb as many calories. I have lost about 52 pounds so far and still losing. The reason I had the revision was because my stoma,(opening going out of the pouch stretched) and I was always hungry because of it. I would eat more, and gain wieght because with the rny there isn't as much malabsorption. My common channel is 100cm. It's the same length as a duodenal switch. I'm very happy with this and the surgery is not as risky with this revision. My insurance is United health and they did cover my surgery. Hope this helps.
Lori
ginau
on 8/12/09 9:54 am - mesa, AZ
Hey Lorie

Congrats on your Erny!!  I have one too ! and love it down 55 lbs . My common channel is 75 cm --  I still have some issue with making right choices - carbs just dont do well with me and some days I pay the price for that darn tortilla.

Erny was the rigth choice for me ...  less complications than some other choices out there.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

catherine T.
on 8/12/09 9:05 am - lindenhurst, ny
Hi Amy,                                                                                                                                                                      I had my RNY 3/03 an lost from 287 to 195lb. Not the greatest results as far as I was concerned. At year 2 I started to gain 210-215. Jan,24,2008 I had the BOB and as of today I am between 173-176. I went from 22/24 to size 14 and today was able to fit into a size 12 denim pencil skirt. I could not stop grinning in the store. I have not fit into a size 12 since college. The BOB has been a slow loss and there are definite learning curves with eating and restriction but I am so glad I did this. Good luck. Cathy
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/09 11:15 pm
Please tell me, what is a BOB?

Ruby
3/2005  rny
262/125/145
hi/lo/today
catherine T.
on 8/12/09 11:37 pm - lindenhurst, ny
Ruby,                                                                                                                                                                          A BOB is a band over a bypass. It gives back the restriction that so many of us lose over time and can always be adjusted. The loss is not as quick as with the ERNY or DS but it does work. Cathy
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/09 9:58 am - San Diego, CA
On August 13, 2009 at 6:37 AM Pacific Time, catherine T. wrote:
Ruby,                                                                                                                                                                          A BOB is a band over a bypass. It gives back the restriction that so many of us lose over time and can always be adjusted. The loss is not as quick as with the ERNY or DS but it does work. Cathy
I second the BOB!!  I love mine...35 lbs gone in 2 1/2 months. :)
smileyjamie72
on 8/12/09 9:34 am - Palmer, AK
Amy-

I personally am looking into having a revision from RNY to DS.
My best advice, is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!!!

And, you are doing a good job already!!!!  Just by posting!!!!!  I also suggest you post over on the other surgery boards, as every revision decision is individual.

**Some surgeons will try and 'sell you' on what they perfrom, as well**  Gently put, from one post : Would you go into a Ford Dealership, if you wanted a Chevy??  So, go to a surgeon who
a) Does revisions
b) Does all revisions

Feel free to PM me if you want threads to research. 
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

mew6495
on 8/12/09 11:29 pm - MI
 Hi Amy,

I commend you for researching a revision....  You are not a failure, your surgery failed you!

I had my original RNY in 2001.  It was done proximal.  I went down to 126 lbs and then slowly over the next 7 years or so I slowly went up to 183.  I started researching revisions before I gained any further and chose the ERNY.  I felt this was best for me simply because I did not want the elevated risk with revising from a RNY to DS with the whole take down of the pouch and all.  My revision was last October.  My common channel is 75 cc.  I am now down to 123 lbs, 2 lbs below my personal goal and into a size 2 - 4.  

There are many choices as far as revisions for you.  I recommend doing your research and choose the one that best suits you and your life style.   Whatever revision you chose be sure to find a surgeon who has tons of experience in revisions not just doing virgin wls.  Especially if you go from a RNY to DS (one of the most complicated but with very good results).  

Good luck to you.

Most Active