Anyone losing with Distal RNY Revision

llittle
on 8/10/09 4:37 am - w farmington, ON
Hi!  I am scheduled to get a distal rny 8/17/09.  My common channel is to be 100cc.  Is anyone happy with their distal revision?  I'm getting concerned.  I was under the impression that I was getting revised to the DS until I had my consultation.  I have a lower BMI, 33 1/2.  I have failed rny from 2002.  I'm not sure what to do.  
Blessings

fullofjoy

Jay Park
on 8/10/09 5:20 am, edited 8/10/09 5:24 am - MO
Teena A.
on 8/10/09 5:27 am, edited 8/10/09 5:29 am - Mesquite, TX
Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Anna G.
on 8/10/09 5:28 am
Did Maguire say why he was revising to a distal RNY instead of DS? My first thought is that unless there is some physical reason why a DS revision is impossible, you should get the surgery you want, even if it means switching docs.

Plenty of people have been revised to DS after having RNY for many years. However, there are factors that could make it inadvisable (like the condition of your pylorus) and I would want to understand very clearly what informed his decision.

So Blessed!
on 8/10/09 5:40 am

A friend of mine had this done and she is happy with the results.   Dr. Maguire did her surgery also.  He was actually my first choice as surgeon, but his waiting list was so long that I decided to use his partner instead.  She is wonderful, so I have no regrets about my decision.
llittle
on 8/10/09 6:31 am, edited 8/10/09 6:43 am - w farmington, ON
I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Maguire.  I didn't get to spend much time with him.  He stated that he gets the same results with this surgery as he does with DS.  I know he is an excellent doc.  I do wish I got more time with him.  I had questions written down before I went, but I couldn't find them when it was my turn to see him.  I have followed Shele's postings because she has the same doctor as I have.  She has been a great inspiration to me. 
   Teena,  thanks for the link.  I do remember reading this now. 
Blessings

fullofjoy

Teena A.
on 8/10/09 6:50 am, edited 8/10/09 7:02 am - Mesquite, TX
I am sorry you did not have enough time with the doctor and that you could not find your questions when it was your time.

If it is the DS you truly want can you not call his office and see if the change can be made?

If you do not ask you will never know.

You have not had the surgery yet.

Do not feel pressured into a procedure that you did not want.

If it were me and he does DS and that is what I thought I was going to get and that is what I wanted ...

I WOULD CALL THE OFFICE AND ASK FOR IT ASAP....

You still have plenty of time before surgery..

Unless your pre op testing and pre op diet and instructions are different I do not see what the harm in the change would be.

Just my two cents.

Take what you can use and leave what you can't.

Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

llittle
on 8/10/09 6:54 am, edited 8/10/09 6:54 am - w farmington, ON
I think I will call and least try to find out why. Thanks for the two cents.
Blessings

fullofjoy

Teena A.
on 8/10/09 7:04 am - Mesquite, TX
You are welcome.

Good luck in getting what you want.

Either way you are well on your way to a new life.

Keep your head up and your eye on the prize.

Teena Adler

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/09 7:26 am - KY
I am doing my RNY revision with Dr. Houston.  Like he said, to revise the pouch again is overkill.  What causes you to lose the weight with DS is the malabsorption part.  He said making the common channel to 100 cm IS the same as DS.  I kept trying to differentiate that what he wants to do is a distal RNY and he quickly said it is the same thing as Duodenal Switch...the malabsorption of fats is the main thing that causes the weight loss.  A RNY pouch stretches out over time...guess what...so does a DS pouch.  Even the famous Dr. Husted asks his RNY patients if they are able to eat meat and if so, and able to keep it down, then he advises also to have just the lower part of the DS.  So, the only reason to revise the pouch would be if you cannot eat meat, if it comes back up or you can't get enough protein down to sustain you as the bottom part is malabsorptive.  I am going to Dr. Houston who is doing the same thing.  I chose him for his excellent aftercare program.
Most Active