ABC's of a revision by Eric Schlesinger, MD, FACS

Just M.
on 8/13/09 12:00 pm
Nicely put Teena!! Everyone has an opinion... Thanks for the information. very informative. I have not had the 1st wls surgery but I like to see how people are who have had and are revising. Basically to see what problems each person may or maynot  have had. Just so I can make the best informed decision for me. Thanks
ginau
on 8/13/09 12:54 pm - mesa, AZ
Hey Ms Tenisha

Please do your research and find the appropriate surgery for your body type and personality. 

With the right surgery done the 1st time  and compliance on your part - you should never have to  worry about a revision.

Please take what is said on theese boards with a grain of salt  and also make sure to check out other boards that are not so negative.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Teena A.
on 8/13/09 7:52 pm, edited 8/13/09 9:53 pm - Mesquite, TX
I just wanted to speak on a comment made regarding that if a surgery is done right the first time and the patient is compliant that they should never need a revision.

So not true.

I am one of those patients that had a great surgery done right the first time and was a success and am now in need of a revision.

I reached goal in 6 months and was thin for 6 yrs until I developed a gastric gastro fistula.

I know most people will lie and say they were compliant (following the rules of the pouch, not eating foods full in fat and sugar such as fried foods or soda, and not working out ever, etc) the whole way, but I do not lie and have no reason to.

I eat turkey, fish,chicken, and tons of veggies all that are not fried and still do protein shakes. I eat no sweets or chips or any foods high in sugar or fats and take all of my vitamins and supplements and only drink water or decaf tea daily. I am the cleanest eater that I know besides my vegan friends.

I am borderline anal retentive when it comes to my food and my work outs at home on the treadmill and at my gym on other equipment.

I have been on OH since 2003 and have seen it all and been there done that and have the the shirt and shot glass as far as seeing people in their denial and degradation as far as success or lack there of with surgery.

I was one of the compliant ones and due to a gastro gastric fistula 6 yrs post op I gained back some weight and now need a revision.

I am not going to cry over it as I am hella stronger than that and I save my tears for more intense matters like life or death. It is what it is and I will deal and regroup.

Life is what happens when you open your eyes and accept reality. 

This is some real ass shiznit!!!!!!

A fistula is an abnormal connection between an organ, vessel or intestine that results from trauma or surgery. In gastric bypass the separation of the gastric pouch from the main stomach decreases the incidence of fistula formation and stomal ulcer but does not eliminate it. Leakage of ingested food through the fistula may allow the small pouch to empty faster, leading to increased volume of meals and increased appetite. Patients stop losing weight or begin regaining weight. Surgical intervention may be necessary to correct the fistula.

In my case it happened 6 yrs after my initial successful WLS and weight loss that got me to goal.

http://cine-med.com/index.php?id=ACS-2355&subnav=acs

http://sri.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/14/1/18

Please people do not assume that the reason a revision is needed is only because a patient is not compliant or a surgery was not done right the first time because that is just so not true.

I am a prime example of the fact.

If you still disagree and doubt me ask around and you will hear the truth.

If you still doubt me after that then you can kiss the fattest part of my black ass and then please take it elsewhere cause I lived, breathed, and survived it and do not care about your speculations regarding my weight gain.

I just know that I will once again get to where I was before and no one or nothing will ever stand in my way. If they do I will just run them over as I am hella focused as I always have been and cannot be sidetracked or bambozzled.

I wish you all well on your quest for revision, recovery,and current weight loss with your revision.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

JRinAZ
on 8/14/09 1:48 am - Layton, UT
On August 14, 2009 at 2:52 AM Pacific Time, Teena A. wrote:
I just wanted to speak on a comment made regarding that if a surgery is done right the first time and the patient is compliant that they should never need a revision.

So not true.

I am one of those patients that had a great surgery done right the first time and was a success and am now in need of a revision.

I reached goal in 6 months and was thin for 6 yrs until I developed a gastric gastro fistula.

I know most people will lie and say they were compliant (following the rules of the pouch, not eating foods full in fat and sugar such as fried foods or soda, and not working out ever, etc) the whole way, but I do not lie and have no reason to.

I eat turkey, fish,chicken, and tons of veggies all that are not fried and still do protein shakes. I eat no sweets or chips or any foods high in sugar or fats and take all of my vitamins and supplements and only drink water or decaf tea daily. I am the cleanest eater that I know besides my vegan friends.

I am borderline anal retentive when it comes to my food and my work outs at home on the treadmill and at my gym on other equipment.

I have been on OH since 2003 and have seen it all and been there done that and have the the shirt and shot glass as far as seeing people in their denial and degradation as far as success or lack there of with surgery.

I was one of the compliant ones and due to a gastro gastric fistula 6 yrs post op I gained back some weight and now need a revision.

I am not going to cry over it as I am hella stronger than that and I save my tears for more intense matters like life or death. It is what it is and I will deal and regroup.

Life is what happens when you open your eyes and accept reality. 

This is some real ass shiznit!!!!!!

A fistula is an abnormal connection between an organ, vessel or intestine that results from trauma or surgery. In gastric bypass the separation of the gastric pouch from the main stomach decreases the incidence of fistula formation and stomal ulcer but does not eliminate it. Leakage of ingested food through the fistula may allow the small pouch to empty faster, leading to increased volume of meals and increased appetite. Patients stop losing weight or begin regaining weight. Surgical intervention may be necessary to correct the fistula.

In my case it happened 6 yrs after my initial successful WLS and weight loss that got me to goal.

http://cine-med.com/index.php?id=ACS-2355&subnav=acs

http://sri.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/14/1/18

Please people do not assume that the reason a revision is needed is only because a patient is not compliant or a surgery was not done right the first time because that is just so not true.

I am a prime example of the fact.

If you still disagree and doubt me ask around and you will hear the truth.

If you still doubt me after that then you can kiss the fattest part of my black ass and then please take it elsewhere cause I lived, breathed, and survived it and do not care about your speculations regarding my weight gain.

I just know that I will once again get to where I was before and no one or nothing will ever stand in my way. If they do I will just run them over as I am hella focused as I always have been and cannot be sidetracked or bambozzled.

I wish you all well on your quest for revision, recovery,and current weight loss with your revision.

OH my gosh!  That has got to be the best "read" I've had in months!!!!  LOL!  I feel sooooo energized I might just drag my "not so fatt white ass" to the gym for a great workout!!!!  LOL!

Seriously, I hear you!  I can understand the school of thought that "some surgeon's or programs" steer people to a surgery type that is NOT a good fit for anyone with those cir****tances.  I used to work for a lapband surgeon and it KILLED me to sign up people for lapbands who had BMI's that were in the 60's.  I wanted to slip them a note under the table and send them off for a DS or Rny!  But, that would be me judging them and assuming they hadn't done their research.  AND me jiudging them by assuming they couldn't get to goal with just a lapband alone!!!  We're a judgemental bunch sometimes!  It kills me that I am at a VERY healthy weight, look farely decent for a girl my age and still have my peeps ask me when I am going to get plastic surgery!!!!  Support???!!!!

There is definitely some validity to saying, "get the right surgery 1st and you won't need a revision"!  The rest of the story should say "UNLESS you have a medical malfunction, medical issue, surgery breakdown, metabollic condition, etc."  Truth in both statements....just expanding the FULL story is completely on target.

Keep us on track here, K?!!!  You ROCK!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ginau
on 8/15/09 1:20 am - mesa, AZ
Teena

Please do not take offense to my post.  I was simply trying to make a point to the Lady who has not had any surgery yet and is looking at revisions and issue's - Sorry but I read that and felt she had no faith in the surgery.  and may be looking for a way out.

and Yes Joyce is correct in making the point I left out. there are some like yourself with medical issue's that may need a revision in their future.

Surgery technique and  options have progressed so much even since I had my surgery that I see and hear that less people are needing a revision.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Murt
on 8/20/09 2:45 am - Thornton, CO
Hey Teena ~ I am in the same boat as you.  I have been going through some testing and consultations with my surgeon to see about fixing my fistula.  I should have done this when I first found out about the fistula a few years ago. 

I hope everything turns out for you and I look forward to your updates after your revision.

Myspace LayoutsMyspace Text Generator, Myspace GraphicsMyspace BackgroundsMyspace CodesMyspace Codesmyspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

mew6495
on 8/13/09 12:43 pm - MI
On August 10, 2009 at 11:38 AM Pacific Time, Teena A. wrote:
Whether this information is wrong or right I do not know as I am not a surgeon who has performed hundreds of these procedures.

Are you?

Thanks for your opinion stating that information that he wrote (and not me) was wrong.

I only posted what I saw on here as it was written and posted by a doctor that has performed surgery on a lot of patients on this site who are very happy with their results.

I know nothing of this doctor being sued and unless you sued him personally or were involved in the litigation's all you know is here say.

I just see that he is still a doctor listed on this site so I would assume that OH has confirmed his credentials and licensing and if he was not still considered a surgeon in good standing they would have removed him from the site.

Everyone should also know that when picking a doctor that they need to do their own research as well by checking on credentials and licensing .

Thanks for posting and for standing behind what you believe in!  Your posts are very supportive and I am sure they help many.

I can speak from my own experience and can definitely say that Dr. S is very  knowledgeable, very direct and has a lot of compassion.  I am very happy with my revision and my recovery and if needed I would have no problems going back to him again.

Teena A.
on 8/13/09 8:02 pm, edited 8/13/09 8:03 pm - Mesquite, TX

I have been on OH for six years and I know how it is.

You have your positive people who are here to help others and lend support and then you have your unhealthy and hella toxic people who are obviously unhappy with their lives that they will spare no expense to drag others down to their level just because they can.

I do not even know why this got to be such a huge deal as I do not even have the band.

LMAO.

I just know that I do not like being questioned when I post something that is not asking for sugestions or anyones opinions and I sure as hell do not like being bullied and I will always do what I feel is right as long as I do not hurt others.

I am so glad that you are happy with your revision and your recovery and I wish you nothing, but the best.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

sydnieb
on 8/19/09 2:27 pm - northridge, Ca
I thought he gave a lot of good information.  Thanks so much for your post :)
llittle
on 8/10/09 5:15 am - w farmington, ON
Teena,
I appreciate your post.  I should have read this before I posted about anyone being happy with revise from proximal to distal.  I'm grabbing all of the information I can get.  You have a great day! 
Blessings

fullofjoy

Most Active