VBG to RNY revision/ Steps?

kmbear
on 8/7/09 1:38 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID
What are the steps to a revsion? Is it about the same as getting the surgery the first time around? I have an appointment with my PCM on Tuesday, and hope to get a referal for a bariatric surgeon. Would like to know what happens after meeting the surgeon?

Kathy H.
on 8/8/09 6:16 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, kmbear!

Your surgeon will likely order a boatload of tests and set you on the path toward surgery.

I'm curious whether or not you've considered the Duodenal Switch. The VBG-to-RNY revision is certainly a simple one, since the RNY is a mostly restrictive procedure just like your VBG. But ... I do hope you've looked into the DS.

I was revised three months ago from a VBG to a DS. I did extensive research prior to choosing the DS. Like you, I started out with the RNY in mind. The more I researched, though, the clearer it became that the DS was going to be more effective. It has superior long-term weight loss statistics, superior co-morbidity resolution and (in my opinion) a far superior post-op quality of life.

My surgery was three months ago, and I've lost a total of 74 pounds. I'm feeling great ... haven't thrown up ONCE since I had my surgery!!! I had my VBG for 20+ years, and I was STILL vomiting once or twice a week when something would get "stuck."

I can't begin to tell you the degree of *freedom* I feel with the DS. Tonight, over the course of an hour.. I ate 15 butter-broiled shrimp. I had a bite of my friend's STEAK ... I couldn't even think of having steak with my VBG, for fear of it getting stuck. If you were to watch me eat, today, you wouldn't even be able to tell I had WLS at all. No tiny portions, no chance of sugar dumping.

And I can still take my anti-inflammatories for my arthritis!! YAY!!!

Please do some research on your own. If your surgeon doesn't perform the DS, then he'll be monitarily motivated to discourage you from getting it.... beware you may get outdated or inaccurate information from him.

But honestly.... you owe it to yourself to know all your options. I invite you to ask questions on the DS forum board, and do some reading at this site:

www.dsfacts.com

And the very best of luck to you!

Kathy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

kmbear
on 8/9/09 3:15 am - Coeur D Alene, ID
With Tricare Prime insurance they will only approve an RNY. So glad to hear you are doing so well, this really gives me so much hope. Karen

LisaMDCA
on 8/9/09 8:24 am - Santa Clarita, CA

I had a VBG to RNY revision on July 15, 2009.  I was vomitting everyday and I felt sick all the time.  Now, I don't feel sick.  I feel good.  I've lost 20.5 lbs since my surgery and I feel good.  It was the best decision I've ever made.  I don't like feeling sick and so for 5 years I threw up and was sick. YUCK!  I love my decision.  Good luck to you! 

Was your VBG open??  If so, let me know and I will warn you about some minor complications.  Just let me know.

Talk soon!

lisa

Started my journey - 450 lbs (VBG)
Had a revision at - 262 lbs (RNY)

kmbear
on 8/10/09 1:47 am - Coeur D Alene, ID
Yes, it was open. You sound like you are doing great. Karen

LisaMDCA
on 8/10/09 1:58 am - Santa Clarita, CA
The scar tissue from the open surgery really hindered this surgery.  However, my surgeon did it lap so I didn't have to have an open surgery again.  They had to peel away scar tissue from my stomach away from my pancreas and liver before they could do the revision. 

I am doing better.  I'm hopeful to go back to work on the 17th.  If you need anything just message me and I'll be here.  I hope you are doing well and just be careful and ask TONS of questions of your surgeon about the risks and if he will do it lap or open again...

Started my journey - 450 lbs (VBG)
Had a revision at - 262 lbs (RNY)

LisaAnn
on 8/10/09 4:41 pm - WA
With Tricare Prime, you can get the DS, if you go to a military faclity that performs them. I know Madigan at Ft. Lewis performs them...I am having mine on September 25th, so there are options with Tricare, just so you know!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Most Active