Inadequate Weight Loss or Regain and Antidepressants

nan_mac
on 8/6/09 5:31 am, edited 8/14/09 5:05 am
recalled
cpinck
on 8/7/09 3:16 am - Henderson, KY
I'm on Celexa and I know there is a connection.  I started gaining weight when I got on antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds over 15 years ago.  I had RNY almost 3 years ago and lost almost 100 lbs. within 6 months and it came to a HALT after 6 months but have since gained about 50 lbs. back.  :(  The antidepressants also make you have very low metabolism and that's my case.  I'm planning on getting a revision from RNY to the DS next year.  According to Dr. Husted, the DS is for people with very low metabolism.  I have panic disorders so it would be very difficult for me to get off of the meds.  Good luck to you!

Cherri
nan_mac
on 8/7/09 5:58 am
Thanks Cherrie.  I know there are some people who just cannot go off their meds, regardless of how it affects their weight.   I certainly could not have done it a couple of years ago.  I also heard antidepressants slow down your metabolism.  Just what we need when we're fighting weight battles, huh?  I, too, will consider revision if I can't eventually get some more weight off.
Best of luck to you in your journey!

Nan
brandyII
on 8/10/09 4:32 am

When I had the lap band a couple years ago and was not losing weight, from the beginning and actually gained I thought about all the factors that could have played a roll in this.  I was still craving sweets and these were things that would go right through the band no matter what the restriction level was.  Plus it seemed to get worse as I was restricted.  I am in my late 40s so peremenopausal, am on Cymbalta, an antidepressant and I also take Clonapin for anxiety.  I also had type 2 diabetes and hypothyroidism.  I felt one of those or possbily all could have played a roll in the failure but so far with my revision I have not had any issues.  The lap band issues were immediate and I'm still fairly new with my RNY but I'm still crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that things continue to work!  I've been on antidepressants for about 20 years now and went off one time to go on a certain diet drug and it was a bad time for me and will not go off them again.  Good luck figuring out what to do for yourself, Nancy.

Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Most Active