Just had a Upper Endoscopy

mikepro0517
on 8/4/09 7:30 am - NJ
RNY on 06/11/07 with
Hi all, I just got a bit of bad news from my surgeon, I had an upper endoscopy today because I am gaining weight a little over 2 years following my RNY. he said my pouch is enlarged, I figured that this is the case as I am eating more than what I should. I am going to visit the dietician and see him next month to go over my treatment options, he did mention stomophyx as an option, has anyone had this procedure done, is the insurance company (Horizon PPO) going to give me grief?
sosoclark
on 8/4/09 7:54 am - Sacramento, CA
I have heard about the procedure and doctors are raving about the success. I was leaning towards the DS but now considering the leaning towards the lap band top of my RNY. I hope you get a good response becasue i would like to hear something too.

Sophia
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/09 8:58 am - AZ
On August 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM Pacific Time, mikepro0517 wrote:
Hi all, I just got a bit of bad news from my surgeon, I had an upper endoscopy today because I am gaining weight a little over 2 years following my RNY. he said my pouch is enlarged, I figured that this is the case as I am eating more than what I should. I am going to visit the dietician and see him next month to go over my treatment options, he did mention stomophyx as an option, has anyone had this procedure done, is the insurance company (Horizon PPO) going to give me grief?

Stomaphyx does not work at all!  Rose, Stomaphyx, none of them do.  People lose weight on the post op diet and as soon as they start on solids they regain what they lost in the previous weeks.

There was a person that asked for anyone here that had positive results and not a single person responded other than a fresh post op that is just 3 weeks or so out.  Everyone else has very poor success.

sosoclark
on 8/4/09 1:19 pm - Sacramento, CA
I was just wondering about the lap band, were you successful? And whatis the difference between the sleeve and the band? I was thinking about doing the ds also but have gathered a lot good information so far. Sophia
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/09 1:35 pm - AZ
On August 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM Pacific Time, sosoclark wrote:
I was just wondering about the lap band, were you successful? And whatis the difference between the sleeve and the band? I was thinking about doing the ds also but have gathered a lot good information so far. Sophia

The band is where they put a band around the upper portion of your stomach to give you restriction.  The sleeve is where they remove 60-85% of your stomach.

You wouldn't really be a person that could be sleeved since you have had RNY but you could do a band.  I have to tell you, bypass folks with bands lose VERY slowly.  You are already metabollically challenged from RNY so it's going to take you more effort than a newbie WLS person.

I don't know how much you have to lose but if I were you I would consider revising to DS if you have a great deal to lose.  I'm really not one to write that often but when it comes to failed RNY it is the best option when it's possible.  You can have ERNY but you are only buying yourself a bit of time.  You'll begin growing more villa again and absorbing fat and calories again in a few years.

sosoclark
on 8/4/09 2:26 pm - Sacramento, CA
I figured you were going to say thatbut the ds cost so much. I will continue looking into it just thought I should look at all surgical options out there. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/09 5:06 am - AZ
On August 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM Pacific Time, sosoclark wrote:
I figured you were going to say thatbut the ds cost so much. I will continue looking into it just thought I should look at all surgical options out there. Thanks

It does, I agree.  So you are self pay?  What about Mexico or Brazil?  I know Ungson in MX is very good but I do not know if he can take down RNY and revise to DS.

I know that Husted can (see ad at top of page).

I think it really depends on your eating habits.  Can you diet and exercise for the rest of your life?  That is what you will have to do with a band and I only say that because you are already metabolically challenged due to your RNY.  You will have to work twice as hard for half the results.  Weight loss can certainly happen but it's going to be a slow process.  Banding is also your safest surgical option.

A sleeve is not possible or realistic.

ERNY will merely buy you about 50# and then when you grow more villa you are back to where you are now.

ROSE, Revise, Stomaphyx will take your hard earned money and do nothing for you.

DS... if it is possible is your best option but carries the most surgical risk.

sosoclark
on 8/5/09 5:27 am - Sacramento, CA
No I'm not a self pay but a lot of surgeons have a program fee between $4000-$12,000 dollars. But i did find a place that might be able to do the DS I just have to switch insurance to a PPO. So I should be fine after that is complete, I talked to the insurance company and they require some testing but i will have that completed this week. Thanks for being so honest.
JRinAZ
on 8/5/09 12:04 pm - Layton, UT
On August 5, 2009 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, sosoclark wrote:
No I'm not a self pay but a lot of surgeons have a program fee between $4000-$12,000 dollars. But i did find a place that might be able to do the DS I just have to switch insurance to a PPO. So I should be fine after that is complete, I talked to the insurance company and they require some testing but i will have that completed this week. Thanks for being so honest.
Tried sitting on my hands but alas,....misinformation needs to be corrected.

"If" you can revise to a DS then you certainly can revise to a sleeve.  The same "take down" of the Rny done for a DS is needed to  create the sleeve or the upper part of a DS.  But, it wouldn't make sense to go through that type of surgery risk without adding the lower or malabsorptive piece = DS!

An ERny will not regrow villi any more for an ERny that it would for a DS!!!  We have the same lower short common channel.  Villi isn't in the pouch.  Some increased absorption is possible over years with either the ERny or DS.

An ERny buys you at LEAST 50 pounds but many have lost up to 200 pounds, depending on their starting BMI numbers.  I lost 70 pounds and only needed to lose 40!!!

An ERny would be the least surgical risk for the most DS type result and you could very well expect to have the same long term results with an ERny that you would see with a DS.  Distals around the globe (often interchanged verbage with ERny) are successfully hanging at their goal weight!!!  Check out vitalady.com  She's over 10 years at goal with her Distal (ERny) as is her hubby and many of their HUGE support network. 

An Rny does NOT = metabolic damage as a rule.  It is certainly a possibility with any rapid weight loss as in days of "Yo Yo" dieting.

AND.....not EVERY revision is destined to slow weight loss.  Some of us zip right through our weight goals to the lower end!!! 

Good luck!  There's a lot of opinions and facts to sort through.  I'm sure you'll find the best deal for you
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/09 6:34 am - AZ
On August 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On August 5, 2009 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, sosoclark wrote:
Tried sitting on my hands but alas,....misinformation needs to be corrected.

"If" you can revise to a DS then you certainly can revise to a sleeve.  The same "take down" of the Rny done for a DS is needed to  create the sleeve or the upper part of a DS.  But, it wouldn't make sense to go through that type of surgery risk without adding the lower or malabsorptive piece = DS!

An ERny will not regrow villi any more for an ERny that it would for a DS!!!  We have the same lower short common channel.  Villi isn't in the pouch.  Some increased absorption is possible over years with either the ERny or DS.

An ERny buys you at LEAST 50 pounds but many have lost up to 200 pounds, depending on their starting BMI numbers.  I lost 70 pounds and only needed to lose 40!!!

An ERny would be the least surgical risk for the most DS type result and you could very well expect to have the same long term results with an ERny that you would see with a DS.  Distals around the globe (often interchanged verbage with ERny) are successfully hanging at their goal weight!!!  Check out vitalady.com  She's over 10 years at goal with her Distal (ERny) as is her hubby and many of their HUGE support network. 

An Rny does NOT = metabolic damage as a rule.  It is certainly a possibility with any rapid weight loss as in days of "Yo Yo" dieting.

AND.....not EVERY revision is destined to slow weight loss.  Some of us zip right through our weight goals to the lower end!!! 

Good luck!  There's a lot of opinions and facts to sort through.  I'm sure you'll find the best deal for you

In the OPs case a sleeve is not a good possibility.  If she has regained with restriction and malabsorption what good is a sleeve going to do?  Why would anyone revise from a RNY to a sleeve?  That makes no sense.  It's technically possible but a very poor choice.

Dr. Husted disagrees wtih you about RNY and metabolism on regain.

Nobody suggested villa were in the pouch.

ERNY doesn't seem to do much more than 50#.

If RNY has already failed her, why do it again?  I remember all the problems you had with the surgery.  You smelled bad and were quite ill.  Your labs were horrible and you struggled a great deal.

Most Active