Calling all Aetna HMO who had revision

ladeechef
on 8/3/09 11:14 pm - Manassas, VA
I'm curious to those who have already had their revision and have Aetna HMO....how long was your approval process??  Did you have to go through the 3 or 6 month diet thing??   It might seem like a silly question, but my plan states that revisions are approved based on medical necessity or mechanical malfunction deemed so by doctor of course.  It only has the diet part  as being criteria for an initial bariatric procedure.  So I'm curious what other ended up having to do? 
Thanks so much for your time
Debba
on 8/7/09 8:10 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with

Hi Lori,

I have Aetna HMO Open Access plan (Federal) and I had my revision from Lapband (done in Oct 2006) to RNY on May 19th of this year.  I did not have to go through any of the intial bariatric steps.  I was having terrible reflux issues made even worse by a hiatal hernia.  My doctor deemed it medically necessary to remove the band, repair the hiatal hernia, and do a revision to RNY (which would pretty much cure the acid reflux) and I could continue with my weight loss.  Initially, I wanted a vertical sleeve and Aetna turned it down.  After discussing other options with my Dr., we decided on RNY.  Aetna approved it within two weeks.  I'm 9 lbs. from my goal, I have no acid reflux, and life is good!

Hope this helped!

Debbie

Most Active